HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Flames' Simon thankful for new chance (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=81185)

BDubinskyNYR17* 05-31-2004 09:33 AM

Flames' Simon thankful for new chance

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp...19&hubName=nhl

I hope we resign him in the offseason along with Barnaby and maybe Rucinsky.

DarthSather99 05-31-2004 10:36 AM

I don't see how the guys who have had a taste for winning will want to come back to the Rangers.....

klingsor 05-31-2004 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JOrtmeyer41
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp...19&hubName=nhl

I hope we resign him in the offseason along with Barnaby and maybe Rucinsky.

I dunno.

If all goes to Bettman's plan there may be no NHL hockey next year.

Meanwhile some younger, CHEAPER (if there's a cap we're going to need some lower salaries to offset Holik, Jagr and Kaspar's) alternatives my be honing their games playing for the Wolfpack.

Potted Plant 05-31-2004 12:12 PM

Yeah, Simon plays a role we already have. In fact, we got back that type of player from the Flames for him. We have checking forwards out the wazoo. Any free agents we sign should be scoring-line-type forwards, particularly a center and/or a LW.

But I also agree with everyone who has said that it has to be a certain type of UFA. It has to be someone who can teach kids and who will be in demand at the trade deadline. We want short-term leadership, and then we want you to clear out.

Prucha73 05-31-2004 12:50 PM

The Simon trade is looking really bad for us, all we got was Greg Moore and we also gave them a 7th rounder I think and took McLennan off their payroll. We should have gotten a 3rd rounder as well.

Potted Plant 05-31-2004 12:55 PM

We also got Blair Betts, who will likely be our 4th line center next year. And don't overlook McClennan. He's a good backup goaltender, and he's always been a good guy in the locker room. I think it was a fine trade.

Prucha73 05-31-2004 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HighlyRegardedRookie
We also got Blair Betts, who will likely be our 4th line center next year. And don't overlook McClennan. He's a good backup goaltender, and he's always been a good guy in the locker room. I think it was a fine trade.

Oh yeah sorry forgot about Betts, I guess it makes it better. But isn't McLennan a UFA?

Evil Sather 05-31-2004 01:21 PM

McClennan is a UFA, and probably gone.

Janerixon 05-31-2004 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HighlyRegardedRookie

betts however hasnt been able to stay healthy thus far into his career, he is rehabbing but who knows how long he will be able to stay healthy this time because he has two bad knees and a bum shoulder

i have a feeling larose may end up being our 4th line center next year if he plays just as hard for us in camp as he did with the pack

Hockey_Rules 05-31-2004 05:04 PM

Sutter likes Simon. So he'll do everything possible to resign him.

bmoak 05-31-2004 06:22 PM

We don't really need Simon as a checker, but do we need an enforcer? No Simon and no Purinton (don't want him back anyway) could lead to some chippy play with other teams looking to take advantage of Jagr and smaller skilled youth like Balej and Prucha.

Prucha73 05-31-2004 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmoak
We don't really need Simon as a checker, but do we need an enforcer? No Simon and no Purinton (don't want him back anyway) could lead to some chippy play with other teams looking to take advantage of Jagr and smaller skilled youth like Balej and Prucha.

Garth Murray could fight I think

Burberry Manning 05-31-2004 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prucha73
Garth Murray could fight I think

And get killed and embarrass our team

BDubinskyNYR17* 05-31-2004 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bleeding blue

Who knows the status of Richard Scott??? Has anyone heard anything???? Id like him to make it as our full time tough guy next year if he plays.

Prucha73 05-31-2004 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bleeding blue

You confusing him with Scott

Prucha73 05-31-2004 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JOrtmeyer41
Who knows the status of Richard Scott??? Has anyone heard anything???? Id like him to make it as our full time tough guy next year if he plays.

Scott sucks, forget about him making NHL

Barnaby 05-31-2004 07:06 PM

Quote:

Scott sucks, forget about him making NHL

Yea, he's not a real heavyweight - he doesnt strike fear into many people...

Prucha73 05-31-2004 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barnaby
Yea, he's not a real heavyweight - he doesnt strike fear into many people...

Didn't he miss a whole year with concussion he got from a punch?

kazo 06-01-2004 11:07 AM

Quote:

Didn't he miss a whole year with concussion he got from a punch?

He missed most of last year with a concussion he got as the result of a fight with Cairns. Murray is a willing scrapper but not a heavyweight. The Rangers currently have nobody on the roster who can fill that role.

Prucha73 06-01-2004 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kazo
He missed most of last year with a concussion he got as the result of a fight with Cairns. Murray is a willing scrapper but not a heavyweight. The Rangers currently have nobody on the roster who can fill that role.

We have McAllister and Lacouture

Fletch 06-01-2004 11:32 AM

As kazo said...

the Rangers do not have a heavyweight. They do have a decent amount of guys you can put on the ice, not be a liability, and who will stick up for their teammates, but noone would term them as being 'heavyweights'.

And the Simon trade looks great for the Rangers. They got rid of a guy who would be gone for nothing anyways. It's hard for a trade to look bad unless someone knows what another team would've been willing to trade for Simon.

As for an enforcer...the Rangers had Simon last year and everybody talked about what an improvement he was over Sandy. Personally, I still saw other teams taking liberties on Rangers players; just as much as the prior season. Further, Dunham had a particularly tough time in nets as it seemed as though he was rammed into every game with no retribution.

kazo 06-01-2004 01:21 PM

Quote:

We have McAllister and Lacouture

McAllster has the size but not the will and Lac has the will but no size. I mean, do you really think LaCouture is on anybody's list of enforcers?

E-Train 06-01-2004 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kazo
McAllster has the size but not the will and Lac has the will but no size. I mean, do you really think LaCouture is on anybody's list of enforcers?

I agree on both. As for Murray, he is a good fighter but by no means is a heavyweight. I think the organization will give Grenier the shot at being the 4th line LW/7th Defenseman. He has the size and fighting skills, just needs to improve the skating to see regular minimal NHL duty.

xevious 06-01-2004 02:30 PM

That was a good read, unfortunately it makes me feel like it's less likely that Simon will be back.

McCarthy is available, though (sarcasm).