HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Help with stick selection (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=812055)

slumpy43 08-22-2010 05:49 PM

Help with stick selection

Hi,

I'd like to get some input on the selection of a new hockey shaft. I don't know which would be best between tapered and non tapered. Never used a tapered stick before. I am hesitating between the following:

Reebok 8K SicKick II (tapered)
Warrior AK27 (standard)
Harrow 300 series (tapered)
Mission V-Hex 2 (tapered?)

Which one of these would you recommend? Thanks for your help.

doobie604 08-22-2010 06:48 PM

the 8k is a really light shaft, feels lighter than the one95 and xxxx i have. good feel and good kick, but it's hard to find a blade light enough to balance it for me. ak27 has good kick, feels a bit heavy for me, but it's cheaper to find blades for it. not sure about the other 2.

BadHammy* 08-22-2010 08:28 PM

The MOST important factor that players fail to consider about composite sticks is puck feel. Some players can't stand that artificial feeling that composite sticks have, and some hate the feel of wood. Make sure you know what you're getting before you buy it.

cptjeff 08-22-2010 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donGjohnson (Post 27484615)
The MOST important factor that players fail to consider about composite sticks is puck feel. Some players can't stand that artificial feeling that composite sticks have, and some hate the feel of wood. Make sure you know what you're getting before you buy it.

Because every composite stick ever built has the exact same feel...

One of the bigger advantages composites have is control. The designers can make various choices that profoundly influence how the stick feels and shoots. The feel on composites has gotten much, much better over the years, and there is a huge range of types of feels.

budster 08-22-2010 10:20 PM

Supposedly tapered sticks have a lower kick point, but my slapshot isn't deadly enough to really notice. Therefore, I go with the standard shaft because the blades are usually cheaper to replace.

BadHammy* 08-22-2010 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cptjeff (Post 27485254)
Because every composite stick ever built has the exact same feel...

One of the bigger advantages composites have is control. The designers can make various choices that profoundly influence how the stick feels and shoots. The feel on composites has gotten much, much better over the years, and there is a huge range of types of feels.

That's my point. I was basically telling him to make sure he's used a stick before buying it or it'd be a crap shoot. I've seen a ton of players drop 2 bills on a new stick and end up selling it for half that after two or three uses because they didn't like the feel. I think my tip was a kindly heads up.

goord* 08-23-2010 01:33 AM

yup, very good tips

AIREAYE 08-23-2010 09:16 AM

He's buying a shaft guys, not an OPS :P

Jarick 08-23-2010 10:17 AM

For standard shafts, most people absolutely love the Bauer One95, and it's cheaper than the AK27, which is also well regarded. The new Easton stuff seems overpriced for what you get and most people prefer the older models.

For tapered, a lot of people love the 8k shaft, probably because it's about $20-40 cheaper than the Warrior/Easton and nobody uses the X60. I've liked the 7k shaft in the past but the 8k felt too stiff for me to try. The Dolomite is a very good shaft and the Easton is good as well, but horribly overpriced. It's a bit softer flex than anything else.

The Harrow 300 is my main stick right now, and it's fantastic. Great kick on the shot, accurate with no twisting or torquing, and insanely durable. Only downside is the weight, which is a bit heavier, but that's the tradeoff for durability.

jacko23 08-23-2010 10:36 AM

not being a fan of reebok or anything mission besides the skate, i would recommend the sherwood RM19. best stick ive ever used.