HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Columbus Blue Jackets (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Speculation: Jackets interested in Tim Kennedy? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=812613)

Robert 08-24-2010 12:46 PM

Jackets interested in Tim Kennedy?

Tim Kennedy is looking for the right fit-he was stung by the release from Buffalo but is back to work, Columbus is mentioned as a possible destination.

Quote:

Kennedy said five teams are interested, although he wouldn't reveal which ones. Toronto figures to be in the mix along with Columbus, Los Angeles, Phoenix and possibly Atlanta.
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/co...icle170443.ece

blahblah 08-24-2010 01:41 PM

Kennedy? Oh, sure. Why not.

CBJSprague24 08-24-2010 01:56 PM

10G 16A 26P in 78 games.

If we're going to sign a winger, I know one who had a short stint in Buffalo that I'd prefer...

Gulvorn 08-24-2010 02:04 PM

Can he play center and what is he looking for money wise?

Edit: Well I didn't realize he is only 24. I'm guessing he is UFA so he's probably looking for money. Not sure where he would fit in on this team...I was thinking maybe he could play 4th line or something but he's probably looking for more than 2M and you can't really pay a 4th liner that kind of money. Unless they are thinking he will play 2nd line and then Filatov becomes again uncertain. But when I originally heard this I was thinking maybe we could convert him to 4th line center or something but I doubt that now.

Doug19 08-24-2010 02:11 PM

There just isn't any room on this team unless we are still going to trade for another defender. Our bottom 6 wingers consist of Moreau, Clark, Boll, Murray, Dorsett, Umberger (lets just predict that Nick is playing top 6). Where in the world does Kennedy fit unless we trade someone? Boll was brought back for a reason so he has a spot, Dorsett most likely has a spot whether it is a nightly spot is left to be seen and the same can be said for Clark. Murray is likely a 14th forward and Moreau is going to be on the shut-down line with Umberger and Pahlsson. There just isn't any room. Unlike Torres Kennedy isn't someone you make the room for.

Gulvorn 08-24-2010 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug61 (Post 27508614)
There just isn't any room on this team unless we are still going to trade for another defender. Our bottom 6 wingers consist of Moreau, Clark, Boll, Murray, Dorsett, Umberger (lets just predict that Nick is playing top 6). Where in the world does Kennedy fit unless we trade someone? Boll was brought back for a reason so he has a spot, Dorsett most likely has a spot whether it is a nightly spot is left to be seen and the same can be said for Clark. Murray is likely a 14th forward and Moreau is going to be on the shut-down line with Umberger and Pahlsson. There just isn't any room. Unlike Torres Kennedy isn't someone you make the room for.

He'd probably be better than Murray but obviously money talks.

Sore Loser 08-24-2010 02:58 PM

The nice thing about Kennedy is that there is plenty of potential there. He's not a top-6 guy and likely never will be, but he's a responsible two-way player that is good on the forecheck. If the money's right, he's a definite improvement over Murray or an aging Chris Clark. I say throw him into the mix ahead of both of those guys, any day of the week.

blahblah 08-24-2010 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gulvorn (Post 27508500)
Can he play center and what is he looking for money wise?

Edit: Well I didn't realize he is only 24. I'm guessing he is UFA so he's probably looking for money.

Well's he's a UFA now that Buffalo walked away from a 1 mil arbitration settlement, dumped him on waivers, and then bought him out.

No, he's not looking for money. He's looking for a team. He's not looking for anything close to 2 million, unless some team offered him that (since everyone passed at 1, why would anyone off 2 now?). I have no idea what made you think he had the history or stats to even suggest 2 million.

He had a pretty good year for a first year player. Had a great March and even chipped in some points for them in the playoffs.

Matt Foley 08-24-2010 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoChiefsGo (Post 27509411)
The nice thing about Kennedy is that there is plenty of potential there. He's not a top-6 guy and likely never will be, but he's a responsible two-way player that is good on the forecheck. If the money's right, he's a definite improvement over Murray or an aging Chris Clark. I say throw him into the mix ahead of both of those guys, any day of the week.

Sure, why not? The more the merrier.

Gulvorn 08-24-2010 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blahblah (Post 27509588)
Well's he's a UFA now that Buffalo walked away from a 1 mil arbitration settlement, dumped him on waivers, and then bought him out.

No, he's not looking for money. He's looking for a team. He's not looking for anything close to 2 million, unless some team offered him that (since everyone passed at 1, why would anyone off 2 now?). I have no idea what made you think he had the history or stats to even suggest 2 million.

He had a pretty good year for a first year player. Had a great March and even chipped in some points for them in the playoffs.

Made me think that because we pay guys on our team almost a million dollars to play 4th line and score 7 points in a season. And also, players just out of RFA are usually looking for the most money possible. But really, if we could get him for less than 1M or about 1M, I see no reason to not add him because he would be way better than likely the options of Murray, Blunden, Boll, or maybe even Dorsett.

Double-Shift Lassť 08-24-2010 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grumpy Old Man (Post 27509633)
Sure, why not? The more the merrier.

agreed - sign 'em all let Scott sort 'em out

punk_o_holic 08-25-2010 02:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CBJSprague24 (Post 27508344)
10G 16A 26P in 78 games.

If we're going to sign a winger, I know one who had a short stint in Buffalo that I'd prefer...

Well looks like he is off to Van city. I'm more pissed that he went to my most hated team for dirt cheap and he will help the Canucks big time.

leesmith 08-25-2010 09:16 AM

I'd be all for it if he were a blueliner. Alas, he is not, so I say no contract right now, but invite him to camp.

Skraut 08-25-2010 09:20 AM

Per Twitter

Quote:

Aportzline

Don't believe the rumors that the #CBJ are talking contract with former Sabres winger Tim Kennedy. They have no interest.
I think this makes Kennedy the frontrunner to be signed...

blahblah 08-25-2010 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skraut (Post 27519653)
Per Twitter

I think this makes Kennedy the frontrunner to be signed...

I am so glad AP has the pulse of who the Jackets are or aren't interested in. However, while I think AP is too definitive on rumors from his "sources", getting Kennedy really doesn't pass the smell test.

Robert 08-25-2010 09:46 AM

I don't know where Gleason got the information (or speculation) that Kennedy was interested in Columbus but he would fit well here. Granted we have quite a few lower line players but this guy can score as well as play responsible defense-he's very motivated as well.

I wish Howson would sign someone young with experience, if for nothing else to make the upcoming season interesting.

Sore Loser 08-25-2010 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert (Post 27519939)
I don't know where Gleason got the information (or speculation) that Kennedy was interested in Columbus but he would fit well here. Granted we have quite a few lower line players but this guy can score as well as play responsible defense-he's very motivated as well.

I wish Howson would sign someone young with experience, if for nothing else to make the upcoming season interesting.

Agreed

If nothing else, youthful exuberance will put pressure on some of the other guys to perform better. A little competition never hurt anyone, especially when we're talking marginal depth forwards anyway.

pete goegan 08-25-2010 09:24 PM

I'm satisfied with the large number of marginal forwards we already have. I'm not too happy about all the marginal defensemen.

BR217 08-28-2010 09:24 AM

Too bad they aren't interested, even if he isn't a huge kid he threw the body and loves to play. I think he would have helped the bottom 6 and made someone (or two) expendable.

Maybe something like this:

Kennedy - Umberger - Dorsett
Moreau - Pahlsson - Clark/Boll/Blunden/Murray

joshjoshjosh 08-28-2010 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BR217 (Post 27562529)
Too bad they aren't interested, even if he isn't a huge kid he threw the body and loves to play. I think he would have helped the bottom 6 and made someone (or two) expendable.

Maybe something like this:

Kennedy - Umberger - Dorsett

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooo

BR217 08-28-2010 10:38 AM

Well would you rather him on the wing and Kennedy in the middle? Or Umberger on the 2nd line and Filatov - Kennedy - Dorsett. The other two should pick up Nikki's defensive slack and could produce some points.

Skraut 08-28-2010 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BR217 (Post 27562933)
Well would you rather him on the wing and Kennedy in the middle? Or Umberger on the 2nd line and Filatov - Kennedy - Dorsett. The other two should pick up Nikki's defensive slack and could produce some points.

I think the fact that you had to write

Quote:

Originally Posted by BR217 (Post 27562529)

should give you some sort of indication that perhaps a 3rd/4th line winger really isn't needed on this team...

joshjoshjosh 08-28-2010 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BR217 (Post 27562933)

Well my dream world has Umby on the wing and Moreau and Clark disappearing entirely.

BR217 08-28-2010 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skraut (Post 27562983)
I think the fact that you had to write

should give you some sort of indication that perhaps a 3rd/4th line winger really isn't needed on this team...

I guess I would just rather have a kid that has the potential to score and play gritty rather than just somebody that eats minutes.

Renion 08-28-2010 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BR217 (Post 27563041)
I guess I would just rather have a kid that has the potential to score and play gritty rather than just somebody that eats minutes.

Same. I don't know enough about Kennedy to say if he really could be that type of player (hard to judge after one real season). If he's regarded that way by Howson, however, I'd want him to try to get him. I'm always for upgrading any position. That's how a team gets better. They don't get better by saying, "Well, we have all these guys slotted into this position already. Sure, this one guy looks better than all of them, but why rock the boat of mediocrity?" If cost is an issue, you make room for the better player.