HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Sather: What more? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=812616)

dedalus 08-24-2010 01:56 PM

Sather: What more?

Please consider the following statement.

Quote:

There is no magic GM or formula that would miraculously turnaround this squad as currently configured. In fact many GMs would be doing much of what we’ve been doing these past few years. Integrating youth, drafting well, giving prospects a chance to make the team.
If we take this as true, how should we handle Sather? Should we kick him to the curb or give him more time?

Vitto79 08-24-2010 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dedalus (Post 27508349)

If we take this as true, how should we handle Sather? Should we kick him to the curb or give him more time?

bottom line is the team needs 2 yrs to develop the kids and lose the crap contracts of Drury and Rozsival. Once that's done the kids should be ready to contribute even more and we all pray they spend the money wisely on a#1 Centre.

till then they will battle for the 6/7/8th spots

Doesnt matter wdhat we want with Sather he is the GM until he retires cause for some odd reason they love the guy even though we are average.

TreeSapLlama 08-24-2010 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dedalus (Post 27508349)

No hockey championship team is built in 1 to 2 years, but he has had a decade. Jeff Gorton please.

dedalus 08-24-2010 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vitto79 (Post 27508514)
Doesnt matter wdhat we want with Sather he is the GM until he retires

Well that's absolutely true (and unfortunate IMO), but I'm posing this as a "what SHOULD" question not a "what WILL."

94now 08-24-2010 02:18 PM

Anyone knows the formula, not everyone is successful using it. Get him out of here! :naughty:

ecemleafs 08-24-2010 02:28 PM

who cares...hes the GM and he will be the GM until he decides he wants to retire.

SomebodySaveKreider 08-24-2010 02:34 PM

We've given Sather 10 years for crying out loud, get someone else in here.

dedalus 08-24-2010 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ecemleafs (Post 27508903)
who cares...hes the GM and he will be the GM until he decides he wants to retire.

"Should" not "will."

This is an evaluation thread, not a prediction thread.

I Am Chariot 08-24-2010 02:45 PM

Just remember for better or worse Mark Messier is the next GM of the NY Rangers

I have no problem with Messier spending some more time in a suit before this happens. The more he learns the better. I have faith he will take the good and leave the rest.

dedalus 08-24-2010 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chariot (Post 27509179)

That's likely the case but we're evaluating Sather's employment status based on his past, and on the likelihood that another GM would merely be making the same moves as Sather.

If background helps, the initial poster actually stipulated that this would apply to a "golden" GM. Messier obviously hasn't earned that particular stamp.

BrooklynRangersFan 08-24-2010 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chariot (Post 27509179)

I have no problem with Messier spending some more time in a suit before this happens. The more he learns the better. I have faith he will take the good and leave the rest.

In a sick way, it could be argued that the more Mess sees what Glen does wrong, the better he'll understand what not to do when he takes over. Of course, it could also be the more time Mess spends watching Glen, the more Mess learns from him...

Sigh. Can't we get someone from the Wings organizational tree?

Jersey Girl 08-24-2010 02:56 PM

Glen Sather put us into this predicament, and not only does he not deserve to be the one who brings us out of it, he has offered no proof that he has the ability to get us out of it.

GAGLine 08-24-2010 02:58 PM

Unless the cap drops significantly in the next CBA, we should have a sizeable amount of cap space 2 years from now. I don't want Sather deciding how to spend that money.

SingnBluesOnBroadway 08-24-2010 03:15 PM

It's amazing to think that Sather has been here 10 years. When Neil Smith was canned he was 6 seasons removed from winning the Cup and 3 seasons removed from a run to the ECF.

wolfgaze 08-24-2010 03:29 PM

All will hinge on the UFA acquisitions made after the Rozsival/Redden/Drury contracts or off the books or in Redden's case, removed from the cap hit during the regular season

HockeyBurd* 08-24-2010 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dedalus (Post 27509138)
"Should" not "will."

This is an evaluation thread, not a prediction thread.

If the "will" is such a strong truism, doesn't the "should" become a waste of time?

-Should humans die?
-Humans will die.
-Irrelevant. Should they die?
-But... they will die.
-I don't care about "will". Should?
-Will.

Though, I think it's obvious he shouldn't be here any longer. The proof lies within the argument of those that would have you believe he should be given another chance...... 10 years is not enough to evaluate him. It will require 12-13 years to reap the benefits of his master plan. And then you'll see!!!

Jersey Girl 08-24-2010 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfgaze (Post 27509938)
All will hinge on the UFA acquisitions made after the Rozsival/Redden/Drury contracts or off the books or in Redden's case, removed from the cap hit during the regular season

Yeah, after Sather's disastrous signings finally come off the books and he finally has cap space again, all will hinge on Sather's free agent signings. I think I'm gonna be sick. :shakehead

wolfgaze 08-24-2010 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jersey Girl (Post 27510075)
Yeah, after Sather's disastrous signings finally come off the books and he finally has cap space again, all will hinge on Sather's free agent signings. I think I'm gonna be sick. :shakehead

How much can one possibly complain about Sather? It is what it is... You don't even know if he'll be the GM in two years time, nor which UFA's will be available to target.... The Gaborik signing certainly didn't bite us in the ass yet, did it?

Jersey Girl 08-24-2010 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfgaze (Post 27510258)
How much can one possibly complain about Sather? It is what it is... You don't even know if he'll be the GM in two years time, nor which UFA's will be available to target.... The Gaborik signing certainly didn't bite us in the ass yet, did it?

The OP asked for our opinion regarding Sather and I gave mine. The personal attacks (not by you) got that other thread closed, let's keep this one about Sather.

My point is that if 'everything hinges' on our next batch of free agent signings, which can't happen until Sather's other disastrous signings come off the books...Sather should NOT be the one deciding who to sign next.

vipernsx 08-24-2010 04:06 PM

The CBA has forced Sather to change his modality, nothing else has. If it were up to him, he'd still be signing UFA's to inflated contracts and trading away youth for overagers....dump this guy....if only we had Yzerman.

eco's bones 08-24-2010 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GAGLine (Post 27509413)
Unless the cap drops significantly in the next CBA, we should have a sizeable amount of cap space 2 years from now. I don't want Sather deciding how to spend that money.

Exactly--he's made too many big money mistakes.

wolfgaze 08-24-2010 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jersey Girl (Post 27510399)
My point is that if 'everything hinges' on our next batch of free agent signings, which can't happen until Sather's other disastrous signings come off the books...Sather should NOT be the one deciding who to sign next.

We don't really have any choice or say in that.... I'm less concerned with who's making the decisions then what players are actually available to target... Some players are no-brainers to pursue.... The caliber of this team can/could be drastically transformed with the right acquisitions...

gluvhand 08-24-2010 04:30 PM

I don't get it. If somebody doesn't like the premise of the thread and doesn't want to play along, why bother posting?

I personally think the curb would spit him back but it's a start. I also think any reputable, experienced GM worth his salt wouldn't take the job until this team is out from under Sather's pile. Anybody taking this job right now is doomed unless they're willing and allowed to just wait out the bad contracts and eat a few mediocre seasons.

Jersey Girl 08-24-2010 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfgaze (Post 27510638)
We don't really have any choice or say in that.... I'm less concerned with who's making the decisions then what players are actually available to target... Some players are no-brainers to pursue.... The caliber of this team can/could be drastically transformed with the right acquisitions...

Having your say about that is the entire objective of this thread. If you want to make another thread about who is going to be available years down the road, go ahead.

wolfgaze 08-24-2010 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jersey Girl (Post 27510955)
Having your say about that is the entire objective of this thread.

I had my say, thank you.