HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Nashville Predators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Confirmed with Link: Cody Franson Signs two year $800K per year (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=812620)

lightning_legwand* 08-24-2010 02:02 PM

Cody Franson Signs two year $800K per year

Well now that Horny is all signed up for 3 years, we just to get Cody locked up and we are ready to rock!

I was also surprised Hornqvist got so much, but if he keeps on pace with last season, great bargain! Which brings me to my next question,

Cody Franson also had a very impressive rookie season on the blueline. He may have been overshadowed by Patric's solid season, but none the less, I imagine that Cody is sitting back and looking at what Hornqvist got and is thinking that he may get a bit extra as well than anticipated.

So when will Cody be signed? I would imagine now that Hornqvist is dealt with they want to get Franson done quickly as well.

How much and how long term of a deal will Cody get?

I was thinking a 3 year deal worth $5 million? thoughts?

Joe T Choker 08-24-2010 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lightning_legwand (Post 27508457)
Well now that Horny is all signed up for 3 years, we just to get Cody locked up and we are ready to rock!

I was also surprised Hornqvist got so much, but if he keeps on pace with last season, great bargain! Which brings me to my next question,

Cody Franson also had a very impressive rookie season on the blueline. He may have been overshadowed by Patric's solid season, but none the less, I imagine that Cody is sitting back and looking at what Hornqvist got and is thinking that he may get a bit extra as well than anticipated.

So when will Cody be signed? I would imagine now that Hornqvist is dealt with they want to get Franson done quickly as well.

How much and how long term of a deal will Cody get?

I was thinking a 3 year deal worth $5 million? thoughts?

I was thinking more along the lines of 3 years - 1 mil/year

jlsg 08-24-2010 02:26 PM

Cody had some success offensively, but he was the weakest link on defense by a wide margin. His skating and positioning were scary at times. He is not a million dollar dman yet.

I Will Son 08-24-2010 02:52 PM

Kelin is weakest link defensively, not Franson.

predfan24 08-24-2010 04:12 PM

He hasn't done anything to warrant much more than 1 million per year,

2 years at 1.15 per year. Take it or leave it.

predfan24 08-24-2010 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColinWilson33 (Post 27509304)
Kelin is weakest link defensively, not Franson.

Nah, Franson isn't terrible Defensively but he's too soft especially for his size. If I'm looking for a guy to put out in a Defensive situation I'm putting out Klein 10 times over again before I put Franson out there.

ThirdManIn 08-24-2010 04:16 PM

Yeah... 3yr at $5mil would be steep. If he gets a three year deal it shouldn't be more than $3mil, but I like the idea of a 2 yr/$1.15-.25mil deal.

Soundgarden 08-24-2010 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by predfan24 (Post 27510703)
Nah, Franson isn't terrible Defensively but he's too soft especially for his size. If I'm looking for a guy to put out in a Defensive situation I'm putting out Klein 10 times over again before I put Franson out there.

Most players that size are usually pretty awkward in their first couple years of the NHL, except for that damn Myers kid. :laugh:

predfan24 08-24-2010 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundgarden (Post 27510867)
Most players that size are usually pretty awkward in their first couple years of the NHL, except for that damn Myers kid. :laugh:

I agree however the thing on Franson is he has always been soft. He doesn't have to be a world crusher but for a guy who's skills allow him only to be average defensively he needs to be a little harder to play against. Less stick checks and more putting a body on someone.

I Will Son 08-24-2010 04:45 PM

If Franson was as weak on D as you make him out to be then his plus/minus probably would of been a lot lower. Klein on the other hand had the worst plus/minus on the team. I personally feel more comfortable with Franson than Klein. I just see Klein make bad decisions way to much and I know im not the only one who notices. Franson does need to work on his skating I agree. And his D could use a bit of improvement. But I do think Klein is the weakest d-man we have on our roster this year.

ThirdManIn 08-24-2010 05:03 PM

Klein had a pretty bad season, but he also played a ton more minutes than Franson against tougher lines. Not to mention Trotz being the only person in Tennessee who didn't recognize that the Hamhuis/Klein pairing didn't work. Right now I'd take Klein, but Franson ought to be better in a season or two.

Seth Lake 08-24-2010 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColinWilson33 (Post 27511121)
If Franson was as weak on D as you make him out to be then his plus/minus probably would of been a lot lower. Klein on the other hand had the worst plus/minus on the team. I personally feel more comfortable with Franson than Klein. I just see Klein make bad decisions way to much and I know im not the only one who notices. Franson does need to work on his skating I agree. And his D could use a bit of improvement. But I do think Klein is the weakest d-man we have on our roster this year.

Klein had a bad season and didn't meet the expectations I think the team had for him entering the year. However, you cannot compare Klein's plus/minus to Franson's due to the fact that Franson was the most protected player in the NHL last season...

Cody saw almost exclusively minutes against the opposition's bottom six forwards, didn't play on the PK, and was commonly pinned to the bench in the closing minutes of games where we were protecting leads.

On the other hand, Hamhuis and Klein were supposed to be our shutdown defensive pairing last season and saw heavy minutes against the opposition's top-six forwards, played on the PK, and were routinely on the ice defending late in games.

I expect Cody to grow this season and take on a larger role, but until he proves otherwise, he will still be coddled. On the other hand, by all indications Klein will again be given the opportunity to step into the No. 3 defensive role and one can only hope he too takes a step forward in his development.

Honestly though, entering training camp, among the candidates for the six spot...I think Ryan Parent has the most questions surrounding him and will need to prove himself throughout the year...

BigFatCat999 08-24-2010 05:45 PM

Do not like what Poile said about Franson. The tone is that Franson might miss some training camp. "It would be bad if Cody missed training camp."

worstfaceoffmanever 08-24-2010 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColinWilson33 (Post 27511121)
If Franson was as weak on D as you make him out to be then his plus/minus probably would of been a lot lower.

In 86 games in a Predators uniform, Ville Koistinen was a +27. He no longer plays in the NHL.

If we're discussing players on performance and potential, I would rather have Klein. For all the flak I give him about how horrible his season was (and make no mistake, it was horrible), he has all the tools to become a very successful defenseman in this league.

CantbeatzPekka 08-24-2010 06:42 PM

Ville had his chance Franson hasn't....... Klein is a poormans Zanon and i dont even no how thats possible. Franson is the better player in all aspects imo except on his feet (let him get his chance) but i think he has plenty of room to grow to not worry about his feet right yet. Franson and Bouillon are a soild solid pairing.........hopefully third pairing next year is Klein/Parent

jlsg 08-24-2010 07:04 PM

If Franson gets 2nd line minutes next year Pekka is going to have a nervous breakdown. As SLake said Cody was the most protected player in the NHL last year. I would have had a + rating playing the situations he played in. He's got potential and he has a great eye for the game offensively, but he's light years away from 2nd line minutes. With the pack of dmen waiting in the wings, I won't be surprised if he's not on the opening day roster.

I Will Son 08-24-2010 07:52 PM

Put Franson in the spot Klein was in last year and I assure you that its not possible to do worse than Klein did. Plus you know you would get some points from him to.

101st_fan 08-24-2010 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColinWilson33 (Post 27513463)
Put Franson in the spot Klein was in last year and I assure you that its not possible to do worse than Klein did. Plus you know you would get some points from him to.

Franson was in no way ready to fill the role that Klein did last season. He probably isn't ready for that role yet this season.

jlsg 08-24-2010 08:06 PM

Look at the minutes Klein had vs the minutes Franson had. Look at who Klein was matched up with and who Franson was matched up with. Sure, Cody looked like an all star out there but that's pretty easy when you have less then 15 minutes a game against 4th line players. KK had problems handling the puck on occasion and he and Hamhuis didn't connect very well, however when it comes to playing defense from the red line back, KK was head and shoulders above what Cody had to offer.

geez 101 you snuck that in before I could ;)

PredsV82 08-24-2010 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 (Post 27511900)
Do not like what Poile said about Franson. The tone is that Franson might miss some training camp. "It would be bad if Cody missed training camp."

Then Franson is an idiot and wont be a Pred for long. You dont pull the prima donna card when there are literally 4 or 5 blue chip prospects nipping at your heels.

he should take his QO and prove he deserves more or sign for two years at 1 mil per and shaddap.

CantbeatzPekka 08-24-2010 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlsg (Post 27512928)
If Franson gets 2nd line minutes next year Pekka is going to have a nervous breakdown. As SLake said Cody was the most protected player in the NHL last year. I would have had a + rating playing the situations he played in. He's got potential and he has a great eye for the game offensively, but he's light years away from 2nd line minutes. With the pack of dmen waiting in the wings, I won't be surprised if he's not on the opening day roster.

I think Pekka had his nervous breakdown when Klein and Hammer were together.......And im not saying Cody deserves 2nd pairing just because hes Cody i think he could very easily earn it saying Ellis, Blum,Sulzer dont make team outta camp. Either way i think Cody will be/is the better defensemen.....only time will tell

lightning_legwand* 08-24-2010 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlsg (Post 27512928)

Your joking right?

Weber Suter
Blum Bouillon
Klein Josi

You really think Josi and Blum will make it over Franson who played very well last season and the other two have never even played an NHL game?

Man! I love your depth on defense!! Still waitin on Ryan Ellis to be the main man with Shea someday!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColinWilson33 (Post 27513463)

Well put and I could not agree more. How long has Klein been around this organization and never really shown "much" progress?

CantbeatzPekka 08-24-2010 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlsg (Post 27513654)
Look at the minutes Klein had vs the minutes Franson had. Look at who Klein was matched up with and who Franson was matched up with. Sure, Cody looked like an all star out there but that's pretty easy when you have less then 15 minutes a game against 4th line players. KK had problems handling the puck on occasion and he and Hamhuis didn't connect very well, however when it comes to playing defense from the red line back, KK was head and shoulders above what Cody had to offer.

geez 101 you snuck that in before I could ;)

Well tell Klein welcome to the NHL and that he should get used to playing with the best. Let Franson play those same minutes and players and he'll gladly fill Kleins role as well or imo definitely better.

roseyc 08-24-2010 09:55 PM

Klein is way better than Franson. It takes a lot longer for defenseman to grow than it does for offensive players. You forget that Suter and Weber had their moments before they started living up to their potential. I'm not saying that Klein is not in there category but he can be a solid defenseman. I look for Klein to rebound and have a solid season. I too doubt that Franson will make this team and could be dealt in a deal for a more experienced defenseman. The Preds have too many offensive defenseman in the minors and with Ryan Ellis on the fringe I think they will make a decision on Ellis or Franson. I think Parent will make a difference this year.

Here's the pairings I see on D

Weber-Suter
Klein- ????? still to be determined
Parent-Bouillion
Josi

lightning_legwand* 08-24-2010 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roseyc (Post 27515000)
Klein is way better than Franson. It takes a lot longer for defenseman to grow than it does for offensive players. You forget that Suter and Weber had their moments before they started living up to their potential. I'm not saying that Klein is not in there category but he can be a solid defenseman. I look for Klein to rebound and have a solid season. I too doubt that Franson will make this team and could be dealt in a deal for a more experienced defenseman. The Preds have too many offensive defenseman in the minors and with Ryan Ellis on the fringe I think they will make a decision on Ellis or Franson. I think Parent will make a difference this year.

Here's the pairings I see on D

Weber-Suter
Klein- ????? still to be determined
Parent-Bouillion
Josi

If! and thats an enormous IF, Franson were for some stupid reason traded, it would be for a skilled forward. I made a proposal saying Franson and a 2nd round pick for Marc Savard and Bruin fans even liked it.

We do not need another vet defenseman. We have Klein, Weber, Bouillon, and Suter.

Franson will play and will get better and better every game. I cannot understand all the hate on Cody. He is just a kid and put up solid numbers! I do not care who he was on the ice against, he was still against NHL players!

All I am saying is that if Cody is dealt, it could come back to haunt WAY more than Peverley for sure!