HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Don Fehr is in as NHLPA PResident (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=813114)

Dagoon44 08-25-2010 09:28 PM

Don Fehr is in as NHLPA PResident
 
I predicted this in June and it finally has happened. Gary Butthole can't be happy with this

ManicSubsidal15 08-25-2010 09:57 PM

Don't know too much about him, is this a good sign? Or is it another step closer to lockout version 3.0?

FOXHOUND* 08-25-2010 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ManicSubsidal15 (Post 27531296)
Don't know too much about him, is this a good sign? Or is it another step closer to lockout version 3.0?

he was responsible for the 94-95 mlb lockout and world series cancelation

Expect to pick up a new hobby in 2 years

Bulls9220 08-25-2010 10:12 PM

****!

may know 08-25-2010 10:14 PM

deleted

BlueshirtBlitz 08-25-2010 10:27 PM

Great. :shakehead:shakehead:shakehead:shakehead

Another lockout is the last thing the NHL needs.

Carlos Ranger 08-25-2010 10:37 PM

He's only interim and they hope to find somebody before the 2012 CBA negotiations begin. Let's relax, like it's a guaranteed lockout? I don't think the PA wants that again. If they were so against the current CBA they had the option to terminate it early in '09, and did not.

Brooklyn Ranger 08-25-2010 10:40 PM

I really don't think it matters who is the head of the NHLPA--the owners will decide to lockout the players if they feel it will help their cause (ie make more money, have less expenses).

The players are not going to go on strike regardless of who is leading them.

wolfgaze 08-25-2010 11:02 PM

Not losing any sleep over this... I'll start worrying when things actually go down, until then I'm focusing on this upcoming season and hockey kicking back into gear! :handclap:

RangerBoy 08-26-2010 06:20 AM

Really went out on a limb to project Fehr as the next NHLPA head considering he has been associated with the PA since last summer. Some people say Fehr helped push Kelley out as NHLPA exec director. Fehr helped the PA write a new constitution and is helping the PA hire a permanent exec director. It's an interim position until a new CBA is reached in two years. The player reps still have to vote on Fehr taking over.

Fehr did a fantastic job with the Kovalchuk situation.

Quote:

Indeed, Slap Shots has learned that union front-office personnel, including Fehr, expressed concern over the cost of attorneys' fees in the Kovalchuk arbitration before turning to John McCambridge, a Saskin loyalist, who had been part of the 2004-05 negotiating committee but had not been involved in union business in years and who was no match at all for the estimable Bob Batterman, the league's Crosby/Ovechkin among its stable of all-star lawyers.
Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/more_...#ixzz0xi4i5RCv

DutchShamrock 08-26-2010 06:41 AM

The NHL really uses the media to sway the public and the PA has always failed to recognize or utilize this tool. My only real issue with Fehr is that he is grating to the public and a bit arrogant. The players have never striked and in my opinion, went to great lengths last time to avoid the lockout yet they still got blasted by the public for the lost season.

If I was the union, I would call a press conference with Bettman today and announce to the world how the new CBA is wonderful and how Bettman was right after all and how much of genious he is. I would then sign a new extension for 10 years and proclaim how the union is committed to uninterrupted hockey. Then you give Bettman the pen and watch him squirm.

The league will now goad Fehr into being his combative self and drive down the union's public image. Paul Kelly was really the go-to guy. I know the players were uncomfortable with his open dialogue with the league, but he was playing it right. Bettman's only card is to make the players out as greedy brats, then lock them out and hope they conceed to your demands. Kelly was taking that option away but the players couldn't figure that out with their 10th grade educations. It's going to get ugly again, but maybe Fehr can pull out a win with his experience. Ultimately the biggest win for hockey is the owners firing Bettman.

Kovalev27 08-26-2010 10:05 AM

losing 2 years of your career with lockouts so close together is not something that is going to sit well with the PA. they'll do whatever they have to do to avoid it

DutchShamrock 08-26-2010 11:59 AM

Saddling fans with 3 years of lockouts in 15 years is near suicide for a struggling league. The NHL should do every thing it can to avoid it.

dtrap 08-26-2010 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kovalev27 (Post 27535523)
losing 2 years of your career with lockouts so close together is not something that is going to sit well with the PA. they'll do whatever they have to do to avoid it

Scott Gomez can go be MVP of the ECHL again!

wolfgaze 08-26-2010 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DutchShamrock (Post 27537044)
Saddling fans with 3 years of lockouts in 15 years is near suicide for a struggling league. The NHL should do every thing it can to avoid it.

Agreed... It's suicide for the league.. If they have another lockout I hope the fans galvanize together and decide to collectively boycott going to games and buying NHL merchandise... Sure that doesn't help the situation but it will send a loud and clear message to the league and the players and that's the most we can do as consumers of the sport... I'm certainly not going to sit here helplessly and keep spending my money on jerseys and tickets and support a league that does not seem to care what it puts its fans through... I can barely endure the off-seasons each year since I don't follow any other sports, if I have to go 16 months without hockey I will lose my mind...

KreiMeARiver* 08-26-2010 01:02 PM

no way they will lockout again..... both sides realize that it would be suicide.

HockeyBasedNYC 08-26-2010 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hightide85 (Post 27538048)
no way they will lockout again..... both sides realize that it would be suicide.

Agree, the NHLPA already decided not to re-open the CBA for that reason and this: They are making more money then they did with the previous CBA. I'd expect changes in the next one, especially with contract terms and the NHLPA having more say with the financial matters of the league but I don't expect there to be another philosophical war like last time. I think both sides will stay with the cap.

Television deals, relocation of teams, expansion, scheduling etc will probably dominate the landscape. The average salary was $1.8 million the season before the lockout and is $2.2 million today. With the cap going up every year and revenues rising through a recession - I cant see why either side would want to change things too drastically and produce another possible work stoppage. Even if Fehr has the reputation hes had. Unless the players completely change their mind and are brainwashed by Fehr i dont see another lockout.

FOXHOUND* 08-26-2010 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hightide85 (Post 27538048)
no way they will lockout again..... both sides realize that it would be suicide.

ok, so which side caves this time?

Bleed Ranger Blue 08-26-2010 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dagoon44 (Post 27530906)
I predicted this in June and it finally has happened. Gary Butthole can't be happy with this

And Larry Brooks and several other hockey folks that are actually in the know predicted this months before that.

But its still funny seeing you take credit for this knowledge in some way, shape, or form

HockeyBasedNYC 08-26-2010 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue (Post 27539094)
And Larry Brooks and several other hockey folks that are actually in the know predicted this months before that.

But its still funny seeing you take credit for this knowledge in some way, shape, or form

Lol. yeah i heard about Fehr almost a year ago.

gluvhand 08-26-2010 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue (Post 27539094)
And Larry Brooks and several other hockey folks that are actually in the know predicted this months before that.

But its still funny seeing you take credit for this knowledge in some way, shape, or form

Exactly. Jeff Marick(sic?) of HNIC Radio was talking about this as far back as the All-Star break.

wolfgaze 08-26-2010 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC (Post 27538241)
Agree, the NHLPA already decided not to re-open the CBA for that reason and this: They are making more money then they did with the previous CBA. I'd expect changes in the next one, especially with contract terms and the NHLPA having more say with the financial matters of the league but I don't expect there to be another philosophical war like last time. I think both sides will stay with the cap.

Television deals, relocation of teams, expansion, scheduling etc will probably dominate the landscape. The average salary was $1.8 million the season before the lockout and is $2.2 million today. With the cap going up every year and revenues rising through a recession - I cant see why either side would want to change things too drastically and produce another possible work stoppage. Even if Fehr has the reputation hes had. Unless the players completely change their mind and are brainwashed by Fehr i dont see another lockout.

Good post... Much of the foundation is already in place... There is not a lot that needs to be modified/changed.... There is no where near as close to the battle that was fought in 2004/2005...

Nich 08-26-2010 02:37 PM

honestly, not a terrible move by the nhlpa, the terrible move was the whole debacle considering Paul Kelly. He would have done a fantastic job i.m.h.o....

HockeyBasedNYC 08-26-2010 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfgaze (Post 27539177)
Good post... Much of the foundation is already in place... There is not a lot that needs to be modified/changed.... There is no where near as close to the battle that was fought in 2004/2005...

Lets not forget, it took some time before the NHLPA fully understood the leagues plight, specifically some of the owners financial problems. The losses were accumulating and going into the lockout it was a philosophical fight but one that was necessary to provide the type of landscape needed to help the league gain a level gorund. There was a lot of he said he said crap about opening books and so forth and it took time to iron it all out. They were short on time and that played a large part in why the lockout occurred.

None of that is the focus now, especially since the revenues, records and escrow accounts are all linked to the bottom line. The NHLPA has a much better idea of what the league is up to. Now focus shifts to having more saying power with league financial decisions. (ie. ESPN)

nyr2k2 08-26-2010 10:34 PM

Good for the union. I don't talk to NHLPA folks anymore, but he had been spoken of pretty highly before. I think he's a fine choice from a labor standpoint.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:45 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.