HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   How to get black sticky grip tape crud off gloves? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=813761)

dpixel8 08-27-2010 06:44 PM

How to get black sticky grip tape crud off gloves?

A while back I tried the black friction tape on the blade of my stick. Found out it didn't make enough difference in my game, and it seemed to pick up a lot more ice on the blade than with normal tape. I guess I had ended up wiping the blade a few times with my top glove.

Now I can't seem to get the crud off my top glove. I change my grip tape almost EVERYTIME that I play or practice, since by the end there is the black sticky stuff on the grip tape (hence obviously coming off of my glove).

Any way to get this crap off?? I have tried goo-gone on the leather, but that didn't seem to work. I am almost at my wits end and might just buy new gloves even though these aren't even 6 months old. it's REALLY frustrating when halfway through a game or practice my hand is sticking to the top of my stick :shakehead

Hogie 08-27-2010 07:28 PM

Nail brush does the trick for me. Bit of soap helps if you've the time to wash & let them dry

It wears a bit off the palms but hey ho

x BEUKEBOOM x 08-27-2010 07:41 PM

try hairspray.

The Tikkanen 08-27-2010 08:53 PM

I stopped using black tape on the top of my sticks years ago, just chews through the palms. White, colored tape, anything but black helps your gloves last longer.

dpixel8 08-27-2010 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MushyBushy (Post 27557689)
Nail brush does the trick for me. Bit of soap helps if you've the time to wash & let them dry

It wears a bit off the palms but hey ho

don't care about wearing a bit off the palms. as long as it gets rid of it, im fine. I'll try it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueCollarBlueBlood (Post 27557840)
try hairspray.

Will do this too if needbe, but wouldn't hair spray make the gloves MORE sticky?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tikkanen (Post 27558695)
I stopped using black tape on the top of my sticks years ago, just chews through the palms. White, colored tape, anything but black helps your gloves last longer.

never have used black on the top of my stick. it was on the blade and was using the sticky tape. got it on one glove from wiping ice off the blade.

Thanks guys! Any other ideas are more than welcome from anyone who's had the same problem

DevsFan84 08-27-2010 10:15 PM

Get a heat gun or a hair dryer. Heat up the palm on the glove (don't go crazy) make a solution of mild soap and water and a soft brush and clean with that. Rinse the palm thoroughly and let dry. If after cleaning the palm seems crusty or whatever, get a can of cheap shaving cream with lanolin (Barbasol in the yellow can, if you have that in your area...its like 2 bucks) rub a small amount into the palm.

Thats how I cleaned the palm on my blocker from tape residue.

dpixel8 08-27-2010 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DevsFan84 (Post 27559606)
Get a heat gun or a hair dryer. Heat up the palm on the glove (don't go crazy) make a solution of mild soap and water and a soft brush and clean with that. Rinse the palm thoroughly and let dry. If after cleaning the palm seems crusty or whatever, get a can of cheap shaving cream with lanolin (Barbasol in the yellow can, if you have that in your area...its like 2 bucks) rub a small amount into the palm.

Thats how I cleaned the palm on my blocker from tape residue.

perfect! THANK you!! :yo:

blueberrydanish 08-28-2010 12:08 AM

I started buyin those...Taci-mac(?) grips, they are awesome pretty much almost zero wear on my palm it seems. Its about 5$ for one and they ARE reusable if you can get it off easy and go purchase some more type of sticky adhesive stuff that originally comes with it.

Sorry if its kinda off-topic but figure Id throw it out there as a suggestion to avoid that gunk =p

Dump and Chase 08-28-2010 06:11 AM

Lighter fluid will do the job very quickly.

Don't smoke while cleaning your gloves!

O23L 08-29-2010 01:02 AM

White tape = no problems.

Do they make the kind of grip stuff you use in white??

The Tikkanen 08-29-2010 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dpixel8 (Post 27558780)
don't care about wearing a bit off the palms. as long as it gets rid of it, im fine. I'll try it.

Will do this too if needbe, but wouldn't hair spray make the gloves MORE sticky?

never have used black on the top of my stick. it was on the blade and was using the sticky tape. got it on one glove from wiping ice off the blade.

Thanks guys! Any other ideas are more than welcome from anyone who's had the same problem

Oh, OK. The only thing I use for removing tape residue is WD-40.

dpixel8 08-29-2010 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhXcoyotes (Post 27570458)
White tape = no problems.

Do they make the kind of grip stuff you use in white??

read the first post again. I am not using the grip style tape on the blade anymore, and never used black nor grip on the upper part of the stick.

O23L 08-29-2010 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dpixel8 (Post 27572555)
read the first post again. I am not using the grip style tape on the blade anymore, and never used black nor grip on the upper part of the stick.

I know you didn't use any on your handle, but I didn't see that you stopped using it on the blade too. Sorry.

dpixel8 08-30-2010 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhXcoyotes (Post 27573988)
I know you didn't use any on your handle, but I didn't see that you stopped using it on the blade too. Sorry.

not a problem. :)