HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   OT: Help with Research (Canadiens related) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=814132)

InglewoodJack 08-29-2010 01:07 PM

Help with Research (Canadiens related)

So I'm assigned to do a research paper on an aspect of Quebec. So I've decided to write about the cultural impact of the Montreal Canadiens. Not just a french english thing, but how the Habs play a role in who we are, what we represent, etc.

The tricky part is, I have to have at least 10 sources of info. Among those must be:
3 Primary sources (So far, I'm going to find the original article about the Richard riot)
6 scholarly soruces including 3 journal articles)
3 sources of popular literature (So far, the kid's book about "The Sweater" is what I have)
2 scholarly website sources

I just started, and the info I've come up with is off the top of my head, but I thought I'd come here to ask if anyone has, or knows of any interesting books, or articles about the CH?
I don't want anyone doing my work for me (haha), but I figured if anyone knows about any Habs related media/historical info, it would be HF.

Thanks.

Crimson Skorpion 08-29-2010 01:11 PM

Another primary source is the introduction of the Canadiens as a team. It was a team designed to contain francophone players and to contrast the Montreal Maroons, the anglophone Montreal hockey team.

I'll continue helping you out, just need to do some research.

InglewoodJack 08-29-2010 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion (Post 27573155)
Another primary source is the introduction of the Canadiens as a team. It was a team designed to contain francophone players and to contrast the Montreal Maroons, the anglophone Montreal hockey team.

I'll continue helping you out, just need to do some research.

Oh Yeah! I forgot to mention, I want to talk about how O'Brien founded the team to make an Identity for the french. I'm going to look into that.

Windymind 08-29-2010 01:17 PM

News paper

Quote:

Originally Posted by InglewoodJack (Post 27573111)
So I'm assigned to do a research paper on an aspect of Quebec. So I've decided to write about the cultural impact of the Montreal Canadiens. Not just a french english thing, but how the Habs play a role in who we are, what we represent, etc.

The tricky part is, I have to have at least 10 sources of info. Among those must be:
3 Primary sources (So far, I'm going to find the original article about the Richard riot)
6 scholarly soruces including 3 journal articles)
3 sources of popular literature (So far, the kid's book about "The Sweater" is what I have)
2 scholarly website sources

I just started, and the info I've come up with is off the top of my head, but I thought I'd come here to ask if anyone has, or knows of any interesting books, or articles about the CH?
I don't want anyone doing my work for me (haha), but I figured if anyone knows about any Habs related media/historical info, it would be HF.

Thanks.

I would add also newspaper archives:
- last two times we won the cup
- when Nordiques closed

Hockey was certainly the first place where French-Quebecois got successful into something. On that regard, The Rocket has been our first hero. He was better than English Canadians and Americans, which was unusual in our mindset of the time. We've had other international success story after: Felix Leclerc, Celine Dion, SoftImage, Cirque du Soleil... But hockey remains the first one that gathered faith in the culture and lead slowly to the "Revolution tranquille".

Crimson Skorpion 08-29-2010 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InglewoodJack (Post 27573165)
Oh Yeah! I forgot to mention, I want to talk about how O'Brien founded the team to make an Identity for the french. I'm going to look into that.

So that makes 2 out of 3 for Primary ; Montreal's creation of the Canadiens to give an identity to Francophones in Quebec and The Richard Riot, which helped spark the Quiet Revolution.

Crimson Skorpion 08-29-2010 01:20 PM

For websites, do RDS.ca and LHJMQ.qc.ca qualify?

Windymind 08-29-2010 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Windymind (Post 27573207)
I would add also newspaper archives:
- last two times we won the cup
- when Nordiques closed

Hockey was certainly the first place where French-Quebecois got successful into something. On that regard, The Rocket has been our first hero. He was better than English Canadians and Americans, which was unusual in our mindset of the time. We've had other international success story after: Felix Leclerc, Celine Dion, SoftImage, Cirque du Soleil... But hockey remains the first one that gathered faith in the culture and lead slowly to the "Revolution tranquille".

Forgot to add:

Watching the movie The Rocket, I was astonished to see that French speaking people could only watch the games at the forum behind gates at the top level. Apparently, this really existed... we are talking about 60 years ago only. If you can find anything on that, I believe that can clearly illustrate the discrimination of the time.

Crimson Skorpion 08-29-2010 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Windymind (Post 27573232)
Forgot to add:

Watching the movie The Rocket, I was astonished to see that French speaking people could only watch the games at the forum behind gates at the top level. Apparently, this really existed... we are talking about 60 years ago only. If you can find anything on that, I believe that can clearly illustrate the discrimination of the time.

Great point.

I wonder if it really was Maurice's brother-in-law that inquired about the cages, which led to them being taken down.

InglewoodJack 08-29-2010 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion (Post 27573223)
For websites, do RDS.ca and LHJMQ.qc.ca qualify?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Windymind (Post 27573232)
Forgot to add:
I don't know if they are scholarly. RDS is a news source, I don't know what the Q site would classify as.

Yeah, it existed even into the '70s. I'm not sure if it's discrimination or more, you have to pay to get good seats. But using the Rocket , the movie, I'm definitely going to re-watch it.

Crimson Skorpion 08-29-2010 01:24 PM

http://www.amazon.ca/Montreal-Canadi.../dp/0385663242

This book talks about all the history, a good read actually.

Crimson Skorpion 08-29-2010 01:26 PM

Also, Dick Irvin's book "The Habs: An Oral History of the Montreal Canadiens 1940-1980" is an interesting one to take a look at.

MetroGnome 08-29-2010 01:26 PM

What about the professor at UdeM that's teaching that religion course about the Canadiens.

http://www.fides.qc.ca/livre.php?id=322

http://issuu.com/editionsfides/docs/..._canadien19-25

Crimson Skorpion 08-29-2010 01:29 PM

3 Primary sources : Richard Riot, Creation of the Canadiens

6 scholarly soruces (including 3 journal articles)

3 sources of popular literature : Check this link out - http://www.hockeybookreviews.com/200...ens-books.html

2 scholarly website sources : RDS.ca LHJMQ.qc.ca?

coolasprICE 08-29-2010 01:30 PM

email public relations and see if they can provide you with references you do not yet have

they prbly receive many emails of this nature, but I bet they do in fact reply with something

can't hurt.

InglewoodJack 08-29-2010 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion (Post 27573252)

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroGnome (Post 27573277)
What about the professor at UdeM that's teaching that religion course about the Canadiens.

http://www.fides.qc.ca/livre.php?id=322

http://issuu.com/editionsfides/docs/..._canadien19-25

Wow! This is exactly what I need.

For a website though, I'm going to use the historical part of the Habs's website. I'm going to ask my prof what constitutes of a "scholarly website".

But wow, thanks guys!

Coldplay 08-29-2010 01:39 PM

What class is dis? :P

InglewoodJack 08-29-2010 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coldplay (Post 27573404)
What class is dis? :P

Quebec History ;)

Coldplay 08-29-2010 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InglewoodJack (Post 27573478)
Quebec History ;)

Hmm okay, well good luck.

Not sure how much help this might be, but this was a really nice recap of the Canadiens' 100 years written by D'Arcy Jenish: http://www.amazon.ca/Montreal-Canadi.../dp/0385663242

EDIT: CS beat me to it. :D

Habs10Habs 08-29-2010 03:38 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion (Post 27573269)
Also, Dick Irvin's book "The Habs: An Oral History of the Montreal Canadiens 1940-1980" is an interesting one to take a look at.

Both of these are incredible books that I would recommend.

ToysInTheAttic 08-29-2010 04:37 PM

Quote:

I have this book by Jenish. Usually I don't keep most books after I've read them. This one is a keeper because it was so well researched and written. If anyone wants to understand why the team is made up of players from diverse cultures today this is the book you should read.

ThaDevilGirl 08-29-2010 04:43 PM

Aren't primary sources like.. journal articles? At least in science they are... I could take a look later at my school's database if there are any articles on the matter. Since they are peer reviewed, they are considered great sources.

InglewoodJack 08-29-2010 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaDevilGirl (Post 27575188)
Aren't primary sources like.. journal articles? At least in science they are... I could take a look later at my school's database if there are any articles on the matter. Since they are peer reviewed, they are considered great sources.

What school do you go to?

I'm going to be checking on EBSCO, and all the databases I have at my disposal. I already found a few on there already.

ThaDevilGirl 08-29-2010 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InglewoodJack (Post 27575292)
What school do you go to?

I'm going to be checking on EBSCO, and all the databases I have at my disposal. I already found a few on there already.

I go to McGill, we have access to a ******** of databases. We could get a few articles in PDF format.

RBR 08-29-2010 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaDevilGirl (Post 27575188)

No, in humanities journal articles are considered secondary sources. Primary sources are things like newspapers, magazine articles, or other contemporary documents. Primary sources document historical events as they are occurring, while secondary sources are later interpretations of the events. Secondary sources often reference primary sources. To give an example: a newspaper article about the Richard Riot would be a primary source, while a scholarly article analyzing reactions to the Richard Riot would be a secondary source.

For the original poster, I suggest exploring Habs Eyes on the Prize to get ideas of what books or newspaper articles to read. The site has tons of good ideas to get you started. They name plenty of books and describe many events with links to sources. You can search for newspapers based on the dates the size gives you. Run through the archives and you'll probably get more info than you know what to do with.

ThaDevilGirl 08-29-2010 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1SJSharkie1 (Post 27575744)
No, in humanities journal articles are considered secondary sources. Primary sources are things like newspapers, magazine articles, or other contemporary documents. Primary sources document historical events as they are occurring, while secondary sources are later interpretations of the events. Secondary sources often reference primary sources. To give an example: a newspaper article about the Richard Riot would be a primary source, while a scholarly article analyzing reactions to the Richard Riot would be a secondary source.

Ha, that's nice to know. Thanks for the input.