HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Speculation: Is there any chance that Price Could be traded to Philly? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=814914)

JABEE 08-31-2010 09:24 PM

Is there any chance that Price Could be traded to Philly?

With everyone saying that Niemi is making his decision sometime over the next day or two, is there any chance that Montreal trades him and signs Niemi? With Carey Price's contract negotiations not going well, do you think the Flyers have been waiting for a position of leverage to trade for Price? Sources are saying Price may hold out and Montreal has put themselves in a position where they may have to resort to getting a backup plan or Plan B. I think the Flyers are in a great position to trade for him if that's who they wanted all along. Price is asking for 3 million and the Flyers could move salary to sign him in Boucher, Walker, etc. What do you think of the chances of a Price to Flyers trade? Do you like the idea of it as far as upgrading the goaltending position?

lancer247 08-31-2010 09:32 PM

I think will do everything possible not to trade him to a team in the Eastern Conference, especially a perrenial contender like the Flyers.

SJ for Clowe +?

What could the Flyers trade to get him?
Carle/Coburn + ?

Terence Peterman 08-31-2010 09:34 PM

They made the decision months and months ago (at least) that Price was going to be their guy.

He's not going to get traded any time soon. Regardless of contract issues right now.

MountainHawk 08-31-2010 09:41 PM

They can't trade Price. That would leave them with no established NHL goaltenders, and what kind of idiot GM would go into a season with no established NHL goaltenders.

Murphy7 08-31-2010 09:42 PM

I'd think there's a better chance of Montreal trading Price to the Blues for Halak, than there would be to see Price in a Flyers jersey on Oct. 11.

Pwood 08-31-2010 09:45 PM

If they are trading Price, then why did they trade Halak instead?

Look, Michael Leighton is our goalie. Boucher is our backup.

hockeyfreak7 08-31-2010 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MountainHawk (Post 27606414)
They can't trade Price. That would leave them with no established NHL goaltenders, and what kind of idiot GM would go into a season with no established NHL goaltenders.

He said trade Price, and sign Niemi.

Of course you could argue that Niemi's not an established goalie, though...

CSKA1974 08-31-2010 09:47 PM

Quote:

Paul Holmgren?:sarcasm:

IrishSniper87 08-31-2010 09:53 PM

Quote:

Paul Holmgrem.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pwood (Post 27606491)
If they are trading Price, then why did they trade Halak instead?

Look, Michael Leighton is our goalie. Boucher is our backup.

They should have signed Price and THEN traded Halak. They lost ALL their leverage in negotiations when they traded Halak.

and :cry: to the second part.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 (Post 27606500)
He said trade Price, and sign Niemi.

Of course you could argue that Niemi's not an established goalie, though...

He has a cup.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CSKA1974 (Post 27606524)
Paul Holmgren?:sarcasm:

No sarcasm needed, lol.

le_sean 08-31-2010 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 (Post 27606633)
They should have signed Price and THEN traded Halak. They lost ALL their leverage in negotiations when they traded Halak.

They probably would have lost all their leverage in trade negotiations with St. Louis had they signed Price before. It's a double-edged sword.

DrinkFightFlyers 08-31-2010 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by le_sean (Post 27606679)
They probably would have lost all their leverage in trade negotiations with St. Louis had they signed Price before. It's a double-edged sword.

"Every sword is a double edged sword."
-Mitch Hedberg

MountainHawk 08-31-2010 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by le_sean (Post 27606679)

Sign Price, trade Halak, then announce that you signed Price.

dingbathero 08-31-2010 10:16 PM

Quote:

Yesssss :sarcasm:

HAHAHA:cry:

JABEE 08-31-2010 10:27 PM

I posted this topic because it seems to make sense.
Montreal Signs Niemi
Montreal Trades Price to the Flyers

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklun...cision/1/29975

I think the two moves that are being talked about are interconnected. I asked Eklund via twitter whether these moves involve the Flyers and he said "Maybe." I think by this he means it's down to Montreal and a Western Conference team, if Montreal is able to get Niemi, the Flyers trade for Price. This is just speculation, but if you look at the way this offseason went it seems to make sense.

EDIT: Just read on Eklund's twitter that Kings may be Western Conference team. So it could be either teams goalie on the move? Maybe I'm just wishing for the Flyers to make this move so I can feel better about Goaltending going into the season.

Flyers get insurance in Leighton in case Price signs extension. Flyers contact Montreal before Halak is traded and is told they are keeping Price. The Flyers wait the Canadiens out knowing they aren't able to resign him and leverage is completely shifted in Price's direction. Maybe I'm just reading too much into it, but it will interesting to see what happens after Niemi chooses his team.

Terence Peterman 08-31-2010 10:32 PM

Quote:

I thoroughly enjoyed this post.

BillyShoe1721 08-31-2010 11:50 PM

Leighton's our goalie, get used to it.

DrinkFightFlyers 08-31-2010 11:51 PM

I gotta say, I am not a big Price fan, but if this trade could be worked out (maybe shipping Carle or something?) the Flyers could make some others moves too. Hear me out...Flyers trade Carle and a prospect or two to Montreal for Price. Sign Price for like $3.2 mil. Then they waive Boosh and Walker. Then they sign Marek Svatos around $3 mil and a cheap D-man around $9 mil (Shane Hnidy or someone like that who I think is still available). That makes this team pretty f-ing scary.

JVR-Richards-Zherdev
Hartnell-Carter-Svatos
Leino-Briere-Giroux
Carcillo-Betts-Lappy
Shelley or Powe

Meszaros-Pronger
Timonen-Coburn
O'Donnel-Veteran Defenseman or Bartulis
Veteran Defenseman or Bartulis

Price
Leighton

I did the Cap Calculator deal capgeek and with svatos around $3 mil and a defenseman at like $950, we still would have about $400k in space. That would be a pretty absurd team if it was pulled off. However, this is only a dream that will never, EVER, happen. No way Montreal trades Price unless they are blown away or given a legit starter (unless they sign Niemi).

Pwood 09-01-2010 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 (Post 27606633)

and :cry: to the second part.

Yeah, that was probably the dumbest thing they could have done. Which is why I'm very happy. :D

But just as soon as I get happy, I'm swiftly reminded of our own goalie situation. :(

ShawnTHW 09-01-2010 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 (Post 27608280)

This is the sad truth unfortunately.

Flyerfan808 09-01-2010 03:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 (Post 27608280)

Here's to mediocrity!

:cheers:

Opus 09-01-2010 05:35 AM

I don't care much for Price, so I hope not.

Giroux tha Damaja 09-01-2010 05:37 AM

Quote:

I'm surprised people really answered, as if that rhetorical question was some sort of accident. Oh well, I laughed.

Giroux tha Damaja 09-01-2010 05:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Opus (Post 27609675)
I don't care much for Price, so I hope not.

I don't care much for liver, but if it's that or a soggy **** sandwich....liver it is, ya dig? :sarcasm:

FanHabtic 09-01-2010 07:02 AM

Quote:

That was pure genius!!! :handclap:

Don't get swayed by some guy who "tweets" that a "very very" close source to Price says that he may go on strike.... The last thing Price would do is hold-out as he knows the Habs can't trade him.

Habs have 4.7 million in cap-space with only Price left to sign. Price wants a short-term deal and the Habs want to capitalize on a longterm deal per Price's agent. That is what the hold up is.

Also according to Pierre Gauthier he told the media that he discussed options for signing Price prior to trading Halak and wasn't worried. He didn't want to put a deal in place before the Halak trade as he felt that might lower the value he could get in return for Halak. Not sure if i buy that but its from the horses arse... er mouth.

jd2210 09-01-2010 07:56 AM

Why do we punish ourselves by thinking there is a remote chance we actually get another goalie? It's like the ugly nerd guy who goes to the school dance and stands in the corner with urine soaked pants hoping the hot girl is going to ask him to dance. Not going to happen.