HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Leafs came 1st for Cammalleri when he was UFA (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=814997)

Hugo Sham 09-01-2010 01:48 AM

This Story has officially become as obnoxious as Vinny to the Habs

get over it hog town media

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Columnists.../15203211.html

Rhiessan71 09-01-2010 02:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHill Seeker (Post 27608746)

So funny too considering how the TO media like to say now that Cammy offered himself to the Leafs and was turned down by Burke.
I seem to remember reports saying that Cammy not only turned the Leafs down but also accepted less money to go to Montreal and that Burke was pretty disappointed over it.

Imagine that though, a winger electing not to go to a team that only had AHL level centers....shocking :sarcasm:

Saint Patrick 09-01-2010 03:48 AM

I remember him briefly talking about that on OTR, he said he was a leafs fan growing but that he was very happy playing with the habs, that both teams have tons of tradition.

Sebaldian 09-01-2010 04:01 AM

There's some Leafs fans that think we should be upset that Cammy considered signing there, which is a whole new level of hilarious.

ReVeuF 09-01-2010 08:02 AM

Leafs came 1st for Cammalleri when he was UFA

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/col.../15203216.html

St. Michael's Arena, downtown cradle of Maple Leaf greats, was awash in Montreal Canadiens' sweaters Tuesday morning, ironic when you consider the guest Hab could have been wearing Toronto colours today.

Mike Cammalleri was on the ice with several friends from the Starlight Childen's Foundation, helping seriously ill children and their families get a morning away from their daily challenges. Cammalleri was raised here, played in the GTHL for the Toronto Red Wings and on July 1, 2009, showed up at the Air Canada Centre to offer his services to Brian Burke.

"I came down with my agent and met with them," Cammalleri confirmed. "I always loved the city and had a passion for the team here, too. It is what it is, and I didn't end up in Toronto. That stuff will stay behind closed doors."

As he has done since arriving, general manager Burke advertised for size and toughness and apparently thought the 5-foot-9 185-pound centre couldn't deliver those attributes. Disappointed, Cammalleri got on the phone and before Canada Day was done, signed for five years and $30 million US with Montreal. He had 50 points in 65 games and a further 19 in 19 playoff matches during the Habs' admirable playoff run.

Lars The GOAT Eller 09-01-2010 08:17 AM

:shakehead overlords

D3nZ 09-01-2010 08:31 AM

Is he a Leaf now? Or still a Hab?

Habs 4 Life 09-01-2010 08:32 AM

Trade him to Toronto.....for Komisarek:sarcasm:

Sebaldian 09-01-2010 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hard4u2win (Post 27609934)
:shakehead overlords

overlords :handclap:

Em Ancien 09-01-2010 08:48 AM

Breaking news : Habs came 1st for Brière when he was UFA

ruski17 09-01-2010 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the vinyl version (Post 27610047)
overlords :handclap:

Again???

Sebaldian 09-01-2010 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruski17 (Post 27610118)
Again???

No, he just gets the blame every time now.

Watsatheo 09-01-2010 08:59 AM

I guess we should thank Burke for the great decision?

Boris Le Tigre 09-01-2010 09:06 AM

When you're shopping for a car you kick the tires on a lot of possibilities.

Cammy thought he liked the blue car until he test drove the red one. The red one just had a lot more horses, nicer garage too:p:

Stjonnypopo 09-01-2010 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Watsatheo (Post 27610158)
I guess we should thank Burke for the great decision?

Burke didn't want Cammalleri on the team because he didn't fit the mold, but Kessel did? I don't buy that story at all, it's supposed to make Leafs fans feel better about themselves. Like someone else posted, I remember hearing that the Leafs offered more but he turned them down. As much as money is important when picking a team, who wants to sign a 5 year deal knowing that you're going to miss the playoffs the first 2-3 years (at least) of that deal?

Bullsmith 09-01-2010 09:34 AM

Cammy's possibly the best FA signing in Habs history. He's truly an elite, first line clutch goal scorer. Yes he's tiny and yes he doesn't contribute a ton more than his offence (and his work ethic on and off the ice), but MAN this guy can put the puck in the net and do it with almost any linemates. His signing alone blew the myth of "no one will sign in Montreal" out of the water, and the fact that both Cammy and Gio signed in Montreal puts a much better spin on the Gomez trade too.

Frankly I'm still surprised Burke overpaid for Kessel when he could've just signed Cammy and kept the key draft picks. All I can say is boy am I happy to have him in Montreal.

hototogisu 09-01-2010 09:36 AM

I thought he didn't want to sign with the Leafs because he already spends his summers in Toronto, or something.

Well who cares how it happened in the end. We got a great player and the Leafs wound up with Tyler Seguin, which is pretty good too.

Oh wait :sarcasm:

David_99 09-01-2010 09:43 AM

Burke was upset when UFA Cammy turned down his offer of 2 1sts a 2nd and 3rd to sign with the Leafs.

When Cammy said "Um, that's not how it works." Burke thought he was playing hardball.

Bullsmith 09-01-2010 09:51 AM

I find it hilarious that there's a thread on the Leafs board with the premise that Habs fans will be upset that Cammy wanted to be a Leaf. Personally as a Habs fan I'm delighted with Cammy, and if I were a Leafs fan I'd be very upset if I thought that Cammy wanted to be a Leaf and Burke didn't do the deal (again especially given how much they paid to get Kessel, who's a very comparable player).

Of course most Leafs fans would love Cammy on their team, not to mention poor Calgary fans....who wouldn't want the guy.

Pedro McGuire* 09-01-2010 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life (Post 27609989)
Trade him to Toronto.....for Komisarek:sarcasm:

Throw in Grabovski and its a deal!

Ozymandias 09-01-2010 10:09 AM

Yeah, pretty sure Burke wanted to spend two top picks for Kessel instead of sacrificing nothing in player value to get Cammy.

Makes a whole lot of sense.

To me, the Kessel signing was proof Cammy was the one who refused to go to TO. Not Burke.

icerocket 09-01-2010 10:23 AM

With Cammy they get a very productive winger and they still keep they draft picks.

Burke dun goofed.

Turtleneck Plek 09-01-2010 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David_99 (Post 27610472)
Burke was upset when UFA Cammy turned down his offer of 2 1sts a 2nd and 3rd to sign with the Leafs.

When Cammy said "Um, that's not how it works." Burke thought he was playing hardball.

:laugh::laugh:

Honestly, I don't understand why we should be mad if this story is even true. The guy grew up a Leafs fan, it's only normal he checked out if playing there could work. If I was a UFA, I definitely would go to the Habs first to if it would be possible to sign there.

Ozymandias 09-01-2010 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turtleneck Plek (Post 27610917)
:laugh::laugh:

Honestly, I don't understand why we should be mad if this story is even true. The guy grew up a Leafs fan, it's only normal he checked out if playing there could work. If I was a UFA, I definitely would go to the Habs first to if it would be possible to sign there.

Nobody disputes that.

What's odd is saying Burke was not interested.

I think it was rather the other way around. Cammy wanted to see what they could offer, and not specifically money, but as a working environment, the plan they had to get further ahead and maybe just didn't like what he heard and saw.

Deep down, Cammy probably wishes the Leafs were the Habs, but since he's not Houdini, he went for the team he thought offered him the most between his childhood team and the old dynasty, aside from money.

Or maybe Cammy just came into Burke's office and saw all the pictures on the wall and thought, "man, wadhellamI doing here?". Pictures of big mean rough men, rugged, proud and cocky. In flexing positions... In bathing suits...

Lars The GOAT Eller 09-01-2010 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ozymandias (Post 27611045)
Nobody disputes that.

What's odd is saying Burke was not interested.

I think it was rather the other way around. Cammy wanted to see what they could offer, and not specifically money, but as a working environment, the plan they had to get further ahead and maybe just didn't like what he heard and saw.

Deep down, Cammy probably wishes the Leafs were the Habs, but since he's not Houdini, he went for the team he thought offered him the most between his childhood team and the old dynasty, aside from money.

Or maybe Cammy just came into Burke's office and saw all the pictures on the wall and thought, "man, wadhellamI doing here?". Pictures of mean rough men, rugged, proud and cocky. In flexing positions... In bathing suits...

Bobby Ryan?

:sarcasm: