HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Hawerchuk almost a Hab (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=815045)

11Goat11 09-01-2010 12:06 PM

Hawerchuk almost a Hab
 
Chelios mentioned on the radio yesterday during his retirement interviews that if he wasn't traded to Chicago for Savard he would have gone to the Jets for Hawerchuk.

This could have changed the Habs fortunes in the 90's as Dale had a lot more gas left in the tank than Denis. The Habs would have still won the Cup in 93 imo, Denis was a factor in the season but not so much in the playoffs due to injury.

Anyways pretty interesting that they were almost able to land him, I always liked Hawerchuk.

gifted88 09-01-2010 12:26 PM

lol, wow....just wow....

Loved to watch Hawerchuk back in the day. Would have been odd seeing him in our colours though.

11Goat11 09-01-2010 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gifted88 (Post 27613238)
lol, wow....just wow....

Loved to watch Hawerchuk back in the day. Would have been odd seeing him in our colours though.

No doubt, even though he was a Jet for a while I remember him most as a Sabre as I watch a lot of games in Buffalo, great passer.

Darz 09-01-2010 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 11Goat11 (Post 27612945)
Chelios mentioned on the radio yesterday during his retirement interviews that if he wasn't traded to Chicago for Savard he would have gone to the Jets for Hawerchuk.

This could have changed the Habs fortunes in the 90's as Dale had a lot more gas left in the tank than Denis. The Habs would have still won the Cup in 93 imo, Denis was a factor in the season but not so much in the playoffs due to injury.

Anyways pretty interesting that they were almost able to land him, I always liked Hawerchuk.

How the heck would Chelios know what trade talks Serge was having with other teams?

Jigger77 09-01-2010 12:51 PM

Very first hockey game I've ever seen live was in Cornwall back in the day when the Royals still existed and Hawerchuk was on the team. Can't say I remember it too well but I sure recall my dad telling me to watch him. Interesting to think about what could have been. Can't really blame them for taking Savard at the time though.

Jigger77 09-01-2010 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darz (Post 27613539)
How the heck would Chelios know what trade talks Serge was having with other teams?

My guess is he just knows everyone who was involved in trading him on both sides that it came up in conversation. It was over 20 yrs ago after all I'm sure ex GMs and such still form a tight knit.

11Goat11 09-01-2010 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darz (Post 27613539)
How the heck would Chelios know what trade talks Serge was having with other teams?

Chelios said Savard specifically told him that was the 2 offers on the table, just reporting what I heard on Fan 590 yesterday afternoon.

Mad Habber 09-01-2010 01:00 PM

Dale was Buffalo's best player in the series against the Habs in 93. Would have been interesting to see him as a Hab. Both got traded the same year for defensemen. Phil Housley in Hawerchuk's case.

Denis Savard
1990-91 Montreal Canadiens NHL 70 28 31 59
1991-92 Montreal Canadiens NHL 77 28 42 70
1992-93 Montreal Canadiens NHL 63 16 34 50
1993-94 Tampa Bay Lightning NHL 74 18 28 46
1994-95 Tampa Bay Lightning NHL 31 6 11 17
1994-95 Chicago Blackhawks NHL 12 4 4 8
1995-96 Chicago Blackhawks NHL 69 13 35 48
1996-97 Chicago Blackhawks NHL 64 9 18 27
After trade - GP 460 - G 122 - A 203 - Pts 325
1993 Playoffs 14 0 5 5 (14 out of 20 games-injured for finals)

Dale Hawerchuk
1990-91 Buffalo Sabres NHL 80 31 58 89
1991-92 Buffalo Sabres NHL 77 23 75 98
1992-93 Buffalo Sabres NHL 81 16 80 96
1993-94 Buffalo Sabres NHL 81 35 51 86
1994-95 Buffalo Sabres NHL 23 5 11 16
1995-96 St. Louis Blues NHL 66 13 28 41
1995-96 Philadelphia Flyers NHL 16 4 16 20
1996-97 Philadelphia Flyers NHL 51 12 22 34
After trade - GP 475 - G 151 - A 341 - Pts 492
1993 playoffs 8 5 9 14

After looking at the numbers, would definitaly had prefered Dale to Denis.

googlymoogly 09-01-2010 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 11Goat11 (Post 27613420)
No doubt, even though he was a Jet for a while I remember him most as a Sabre as I watch a lot of games in Buffalo, great passer.

Hawerchuk could of been the center to help LeClair break out.:cry: HE could of made the difference of not breaking up the team during 94 to 96 with major trades that cost us

Desjardin
LeClair
Muller
Schneider
Roy
Keane

and last but most important

Dionne:sarcasm:

le_sean 09-01-2010 04:41 PM

Wow that would have been awesome.

Why did he retire at 34? Did he have injury issues?

Hab-a-maniac 09-01-2010 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by le_sean (Post 27617686)
Wow that would have been awesome.

Why did he retire at 34? Did he have injury issues?

Yeah, back problems. If not for those, Hawerchuk could be in the top 10 all-time point scorers today. Fantastic player. His 53 goal, 130 point season in 1984-85 was almost as amazing as Gretzky considering Wayne had Kurri, Messier, Anderson and Coffey and all Dale had was Thomas Steen, Paul MacLean, Randy Carlyle and a bunch of non-stars. Even when he produced less in Buffalo- and this was mostly due to sharing ice time with Turgeon and then Lafontaine after that- he was still a supreme playmaker.

Des Louise 09-01-2010 05:00 PM

Damn we let a lot of good players go.

Chelios, C.Lemieux, Schneider, Desjardins, Leclair, Carbonneau, Roy...

And way before they were past their prime.

Any team with that as its nucleus could have been a contender every year with a smart coach. Sigh.

Riggins 09-01-2010 05:38 PM

Wasn't Roy almost traded for Yzerman at one point?

googlymoogly 09-01-2010 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steadfast (Post 27618577)
Wasn't Roy almost traded for Yzerman at one point?

I always heard it was Chelios for Yzerman during the late 80's

RE-HABS 09-01-2010 06:13 PM

Roy to Quebec was rumoured I believe when Serge Savard was GM still.

Yzerman rumour was more or less to Ottawa.

Analyzer* 09-01-2010 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RE-HABS (Post 27619078)
Roy to Quebec was rumoured I believe when Serge Savard was GM still.

Yzerman rumour was more or less to Ottawa.

For Yashin, no ?

No Team Needed 09-01-2010 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by googlymoogly (Post 27618986)
I always heard it was Chelios for Yzerman during the late 80's

it was schneider around 95

Forsead 09-01-2010 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RE-HABS (Post 27619078)
Roy to Quebec was rumoured I believe when Serge Savard was GM still.

Yeah Savard talked about in an interview and said the deal was almost done and it was for Owen Nolan and Stephane Fiset. Just before the deal was done and all Savard was fired.

googlymoogly 09-01-2010 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forsead (Post 27619909)
Yeah Savard talked about in an interview and said the deal was almost done and it was for Owen Nolan and Stephane Fiset. Just before the deal was done and all Savard was fired.

That would of been better than the other deal we got and it wouldn't cost Keane as well.

Hugo Sham 09-01-2010 08:28 PM

it would've just been a whole lot ****ing better if we had kept chelios and Roy
:cry::shakehead

AntonCH 09-01-2010 09:06 PM

Wasn't vinny almost a Hab
until that bettman guy stepped in?

dre2112 09-01-2010 09:09 PM

would have made this song so much better:


11Goat11 09-01-2010 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dre2112 (Post 27621576)
would have made this song so much better:


lol, never heard them before.

Capitano 09-02-2010 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by No Team Needed (Post 27619885)
it was schneider around 95

Ya I can still remember the TSN broadcast..."For Schneider and others" was what they said iirc.

I remember going to school and having all of the Leaf fans coming up to me to congratulate me...they were crapping their pants! Too bad it didn't happen :(

A Zen Master 09-02-2010 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Habber (Post 27613744)

After looking at the numbers, would definitaly had prefered Dale to Denis.

Maybe so, but we won the cup with Denis! numbers aren't everything, just look at Josh Gorges...


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:37 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.