HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   News Article: Pierre Gauthier moves from Philly to... Vermont!?! (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=815084)

Habsterix* 09-01-2010 03:09 PM

Pierre Gauthier moves from Philly to... Vermont!?!

http://www.ruefrontenac.com/mleclerc...uthier-vermont

Quote:

Lors de la prochaine opération Grande Séduction du CH, que se passera-t-il si le joueur convoité se tourne vers Pierre Gauthier en lui demandant : « If Montreal is so great, why is your own family living in Vermont ? »

overlords 09-01-2010 03:10 PM

lol @ vermont

pierre gauthier is just trolling the montreal media, and it's awesome

uiCk 09-01-2010 03:14 PM

vermont is awsome, and couple hours away from MTL

vokiel 09-01-2010 03:14 PM

Quote:

Lors de la prochaine opération Grande Séduction du CH, que se passera-t-il si le joueur convoité se tourne vers Pierre Gauthier en lui demandant : « If Montreal is so great, why is your own family living in Vermont ? »
That's because Mr. Gauthier thinks big mon estie.. :laugh:

Where was Mr. Gainey living when he was GM?

In all honesty I think it makes no difference where his family lives, could be Kuujjuaq.

WestIslander 09-01-2010 03:16 PM

Don't read into it too much!

His family lived in Philadelphia while he was in Montreal, not that his position has changed with the team, the family can live an hour away in Vermont and he can see them regularly.

Vermont is a nice place, not to live, but to visit and spend time in.

Monctonscout 09-01-2010 03:18 PM

Must be a slow day for Habs news so the Montreal media has to keep those hundreds of journalists busy...

Gary320 09-01-2010 03:24 PM

See what happens when no pictures leak of Carey Price/O'Byrne/Big **** (or now just ****) doing what normal people their age do..

Garo 09-01-2010 03:33 PM

I seriously want to believe this article is just a huge joke to pass the time.

I mean, this just can't be real.

SonOfGom 09-01-2010 03:34 PM

Is that quote serious?

Gary320 09-01-2010 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonOfGom (Post 27615201)
Is that quote serious?

The article.. makes sense.. But to form it as a argument or debate is just nonsensical..

ThaDevilGirl 09-01-2010 03:36 PM

Who cares.

Bieber fever 09-01-2010 03:40 PM

Martin Leclerc, thanks for this great article.

Bill McNeal 09-01-2010 03:43 PM

You'd think it would be a selling point.

"Worried about the media? Hell, your family doesn't even have to live in the same country as them. Mine don't!"

Habsterix* 09-01-2010 03:47 PM

Gauthier will be like a Mercedes car saleman driving a... BMW.

"Come play for the Canadiens, Mr. Bigname UFA! It's a great city, with a great school system, English schools even, and the taxes? They aren't that bad, really. What do you mean why my family doesn't live here? Well... because... because... I like the schools better in the US... and I'm not taxed as much... and it's quiter... What? You don't beleive me that Montreal is a great place? Do I look like a liar to you?"

gifted88 09-01-2010 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vokiel (Post 27614865)
That's because Mr. Gauthier thinks big mon estie.. :laugh:

Where was Mr. Gainey living when he was GM?

In all honesty I think it makes no difference where his family lives, could be Kuujjuaq.

He lives just outside Peterborough

Monctonscout 09-01-2010 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asterix (Post 27615438)
Gauthier will be like a Mercedes car saleman driving a... BMW.

"Come play for the Canadiens, Mr. Bigname UFA! It's a great city, with a great school system, English schools even, and the taxes? They aren't that bad, really. What do you mean why my family doesn't live here? Well... because... because... I like the schools better in the US... and I'm not taxed as much... and it's quiter... What? You don't beleive me that Montreal is a great place? Do I look like a liar to you?"

As GM he wouldn't be asking a UFA to move there permanently, just play for the team. Most guys go back to their place of orgin in the off season.

shamrun 09-01-2010 04:00 PM

for who ever is interested in this article.....the author is going to talk about it on ckac.

My 2 cents: who cares where he and his family decide to live, i think its not any of our business.

La Grosse Tendresse 09-01-2010 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carey Price (Post 27615659)
As GM he wouldn't be asking a UFA to move there permanently, just play for the team. Most guys go back to their place of orgin in the off season.

Then why are people always using taxes as an excuse for our GM having difficulty signing big FA and/or overpaying?

Seriously, if it's such a non-issue that it doesn't matter whether they play in Florida or Montreal, then why do I keep reading the argument that we are at a huge disadvantage because of our high taxes?

Either taxes are important to hockey players and Gauthier comes out as a huge hypocrite, or taxes aren't important and Gauthier/Gainey are just incompetent at attracting UFAs / signing them to decent contracts.

vokiel 09-01-2010 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by La Grosse Tendresse (Post 27615744)
Then why are people always using taxes as an excuse for our GM having difficulty signing big FA and/or overpaying?

Seriously, if it's such a non-issue that it doesn't matter whether they play in Florida or Montreal, then why do I keep reading the argument that we are at a huge disadvantage because of our high taxes?

Either taxes are important to hockey players and Gauthier comes out as a huge hypocrite, or taxes aren't important and Gauthier/Gainey are just incompetent at attracting UFAs / signing them to decent contracts.

You are taxed in Canada if you work in Canada, regardless of where you live.

IOW, the high taxes argument is for the taxes paid on income, not on cost of living.

MoonlightGraham 09-01-2010 04:06 PM

I don't think it's a big deal and he can do whatever he wants with his life but you have to admit Leclerc makes a good point when he says Gauthier will look a bit weird trying to convince free agents to come live in Quebec when even he doesn't live there, whatever his reasons are (taxation, schools...).

SonOfGom 09-01-2010 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by La Grosse Tendresse (Post 27615744)

because they get taxed where they earn their money

La Grosse Tendresse 09-01-2010 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vokiel (Post 27615812)
You are taxed in Canada if you work in Canada, regardless of where you live.

IOW, the high taxes argument is for the taxes paid on income, not on cost of living.

Did you not read the article? If you spend less than 50% of the year in Canada, you are only taxed 15% in Canada and you are also taxed in the States (9,5% in Vermont, for example).

Most of the players don't spend 50%+ of the year in Canada, neither does Gauthier.

So taxes shouldn't matter that much to these players.

THE HOFF 09-01-2010 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonOfGom (Post 27615201)
Is that quote serious?

is that a gerd muller avatar ?

groß :handclap:

Clumsyhab 09-01-2010 04:28 PM

He lives there probably because his children cannot go to an English school. Otherwise, I cannot see why someone could prefer to live Vermont over Montreal.

SonOfGom 09-01-2010 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by THE HOFF (Post 27615988)
is that a gerd muller avatar ?

groß :handclap:

yes it is :yo: