HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Anaheim Ducks (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Speculation: Ryan Getzlaf: Team Captain Discussion (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=815350)

Alexander Mahone 09-02-2010 07:58 AM

Ryan Getzlaf: Team Captain Discussion

So what do you think, who will be the team captain this season?

I personally think it would be great to have Selšnne as the team captain since this will be his last season anyway.. Getz and Koivu would still be the alternate captains.

After this season its time for Getzlaf to become the captain.

Twindad* 09-02-2010 09:26 AM

I don't think it will happen, He doesn't seem to want the role in my opinion.

It will either be Koivu or Getzlaf for the C, could be wrong but that's the thinking around here.

Hagged 09-02-2010 11:20 AM

Koivu, in my opinion, would be the best choice to be the captain this year just for the ability to lead by example and keep playing at hard times. But I guess he doesn't want it either. So Getzlaf it is, and not a bad choice for sure.

PhoenyX 09-02-2010 11:23 AM

It will likely be Getzlaf since he's our franchise guy, but Koivu would probably make the best captain.

Unholy 09-02-2010 11:24 AM

It will be either Getzlaf or Koivu. The two best choices

justheducks 09-02-2010 11:29 AM

I love how you think its going to be his last season.
With Teemu you NEVER KNOW.

Finnpin 09-02-2010 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justheducks (Post 27627876)
I love how you think its going to be his last season.
With Teemu you NEVER KNOW.

Well Teemu's words in Finnish media: "this is definitely the last season"

yes we have heard it before but not with the word definitely...

And for the topic I think Teemu even doesn't want the "C".

c4rcy 09-02-2010 12:11 PM

Imo it will be like this:

C - Getz
A - Koivu
A - Perry

justheducks 09-02-2010 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Finnpin (Post 27628234)
Well Teemu's words in Finnish media: "this is definitely the last season"

yes we have heard it before but not with the word definitely...

And for the topic I think Teemu even doesn't want the "C".

Yeah well things change in a year. He could score 45 goals and play every game and be 100% healthy. Also, maybe Kariya trains and gets healthy and wants to do a season with the Ducks next season then in that situation you can bet Teemu is back for one more.

Or (and hopefully not) he could get hurt and not want to play anymore.
So ya never know!

Of course I would be fine with Teemu retiring because he won 2 cups in 4 years ;)

dfk711* 09-02-2010 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c4rcy (Post 27628437)
Imo it will be like this:

C - Getz
A - Koivu
A - Perry

That's what I think it'll be too.

Ducks 09-02-2010 01:43 PM

This is Getzlaf's team now.

defer* 09-02-2010 01:54 PM

IMO it should be...

C:koivu
A:getz
A:perry

but i think they will give it to getzlaf. only 3 players remain from the cup team. getz-perry-marchant

edit:wow how could i forget teemu

Unholy 09-02-2010 01:55 PM

I hope they announce it before camp so we don't have to play the guessing game and see who has the C on

Sojourn 09-02-2010 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justheducks (Post 27628719)
Yeah well things change in a year. He could score 45 goals and play every game and be 100% healthy. Also, maybe Kariya trains and gets healthy and wants to do a season with the Ducks next season then in that situation you can bet Teemu is back for one more.

Or (and hopefully not) he could get hurt and not want to play anymore.
So ya never know!

Of course I would be fine with Teemu retiring because he won 2 cups in 4 years ;)

Seriously? You're trying to create an argument for his returning by creating an ideal situation?

Selanne could have that amazing season, but it's unlikely. The guy is getting up there in age. Injuries are going to happen, whether they are fluke injuries or otherwise. Do you think it's a coincidence that the past two seasons have been shortened by injuries? I don't. Expect a similar trend. He'll put up the points, but his own health is probably going to be a battle.

As for the Kariya issue, it is barely worth mentioning. There is no guarantee he comes to Anaheim if he can even continue his career in the NHL. I certainly would not be interested in signing a player who just missed an entire season of hockey, and could have concussion problems.

Sojourn 09-02-2010 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ducks (Post 27629673)
This is Getzlaf's team now.

I think this is his team when he proves it it's his team.

He hasn't.

Getzlaf might be the best choice for the future, but Koivu is the better Captain.

duxfever 09-02-2010 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sojourn (Post 27630498)
I think this is his team when he proves it it's his team.

He hasn't.

Getzlaf might be the best choice for the future, but Koivu is the better Captain.

I don't know if that is the kind of motivation Getzlaf has though. I almost feel like he is the kind of player that when given the C, he will truly shine and prove that you made the right decision. Not saying it is right, but that is just how I feel he operates.

Sojourn 09-02-2010 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duxfever (Post 27631062)
I don't know if that is the kind of motivation Getzlaf has though. I almost feel like he is the kind of player that when given the C, he will truly shine and prove that you made the right decision. Not saying it is right, but that is just how I feel he operates.

I get the same impression, but that doesn't change how I feel about it. I don't consider this his team until he earns that right, and so far I don't think he has. He's earned the right to be considered that guy, but until he takes it by the reins takes control, I'm not calling this his team.

I'd be fine with Anaheim giving him the C, but my assumption would be that they are giving it to him because they expect him to own up to the responsibility and be a better leader than he has been. I can accept that, and if it works out that way it looks great. But if I'm picking the best choice to wear the C based on who is the most worthy candidate right now? It's Koivu, without question.

Niedermayer made this team his. He hadn't even played a single game for the Ducks and the players picked him to be the Captain. If that wasn't enough, he stepped out onto the ice and immediately showed us that actions speak louder than words when it came to #27. When it came down to being healthy for Anaheim or playing in the Olympics in 06, he picked Anaheim. That's the kind of **** I want to see from Getzlaf. I don't care how Getzlaf does it, because everyone has their own way, but Getzlaf has to make this team his. If Getzlaf is wearing the C, I expect nothing less. It's not just about going out there and putting up points. He has to lead.

jax00 09-02-2010 06:24 PM

Koivu - C
Getzlaf - A
Lydman - A

What I predict.

kducks 09-02-2010 06:31 PM

Give George the C! :yo:

Honestly, I think they'll give it to Getz, though I don't see Koivu or Marchant completely out of the realm of possibilities if they want a veteran.

snarktacular 09-02-2010 07:22 PM

Going by past precedent, it should probably be someone with a longer contract. They have tended ti give the C and As so they don't have to change it every year.

It won't be Teemu, or they would have given him at least an A by now.

So the longest contract on the team is.... Hiller. 2nd longest is Getzlaf/Perry/Visnovsky/Lydman/Lupul.

I'm thinking Lydman.

duckaroosky 09-02-2010 09:11 PM

I'd like to see Koivu with the C

Hampe 09-02-2010 11:32 PM

I think Getzy has earned a C on is jersey. If not him, Teemu. And if not Teemu, Saku.

C- Getzlaf
A- Koivu
A- Perry

Kalvinators 09-03-2010 08:04 AM

C- Koivu
A - Getz
A- Perry

Vipers31 09-03-2010 12:07 PM

One thing to consider is that Koivu will always bring the type of leadership he does, with or without the C. He doesn't need it and at this point in his career, he doesn't need to be awarded, if he even wants to. His role is acknowledged. With Getzlaf, I can see the hope that wearing the C would be an inspiration that helps him focus on the right things at the rigth time. That's why I would not be opposed to giving him the C, even though Koivu "deserves" it more as of now.

snarktacular 09-03-2010 06:40 PM

Getzlaf has had the history where he responds well to challenges. So in that sense, giving him the C may well inspire him.

The other thing to consider, though, is that he also has a rep of getting "bored" and not trying as much after getting settled into his new challenges. So you might consider that the boost will only be temporary. So then you have to ask yourself if we want to give him the C now, or if you might want to hold off the temporary boost for a "go for broke" type season.