HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Flashback - Last game of 2009-2010 season vs. the Leafs (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=815744)

417 09-03-2010 11:58 AM

Flashback - Last game of 2009-2010 season vs. the Leafs
 
I've often wondered how much things would be different today if the Habs had lost that last game of the season vs. the Leafs in regulation, thus eliminating them from the playoffs...

How do you guys think this whole Halak/Price situation would have broken down?

I tend to think that the Halak for Eller + Schultz trade would of never happened...but I wonder how our teams outlook would of changed for this upcoming season.

I know it's kind of useless to look back...but I find it interesting how ONE single game and ONE single point in the standings, changed everything for the Habs heading into this season.

Pleky Roks 09-03-2010 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 417 (Post 27642153)
I've often wondered how much things would be different today if the Habs had lost that last game of the season vs. the Leafs in regulation, thus eliminating them from the playoffs...

How do you guys think this whole Halak/Price situation would have broken down?

I tend to think that the Halak for Eller + Schultz trade would of never happened...but I wonder how our teams outlook would of changed for this upcoming season.

I know it's kind of useless to look back...but I find it interesting how ONE single game and ONE single point in the standings, changed everything for the Habs heading into this season.


HAHAHAHAHA.....great thread....but I'm not going to post anything more than that because I will be ripped apart and my opinion will be 100% wrong anyways.

Ozymandias 09-03-2010 12:18 PM

I think you meant the last game of the 09-10 season.

the vinyl version 09-03-2010 12:27 PM

http://wvde.state.wv.us/graph/tt/200...rammartips.gif

Basic Rule: Of is a preposition. Do not use of in the place of have after verbs such as could, should, would, might and must.

jamz 09-03-2010 12:30 PM

could of should of would of :dunno:

JustAHabFan 09-03-2010 12:41 PM

If Halak lost the last game against the Leafs last season, we probably would only get a second round pick from the Blues for Halak.

the vinyl version 09-03-2010 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamz (Post 27642546)
could of should of would of :dunno:

Well played, sir.

417 09-03-2010 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HalakRulz (Post 27642369)
HAHAHAHAHA.....great thread....but I'm not going to post anything more than that because I will be ripped apart and my opinion will be 100% wrong anyways.

Please...i'd be very interested to read your opinion

417 09-03-2010 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamz (Post 27642546)
could of should of would of :dunno:

Thanks for your input...I think i mentionned that it's kind of useless to look back now. Still, I think it's interesting to see how much things changed based on ONE single period of hockey for an entire season.

Does anyone else not think that our team might look entirely different today if the Habs had lost that game?

There wouldn't be the Halak 'fandom' like this is now...not that it's not deserved, I mean the dude killed it in the 1st and 2nd round, but I think it's important to keep perspective...Habs could of easily have been eliminated from playoff contention...

Anyways, I thought this would generate more talk...but I guess bickering about whose better is more interesting lol

Watsatheo 09-03-2010 01:00 PM

Actually we would have made the playoffs regardless. The Rangers needed to win the last game of the season in extra time but they lost.

417 09-03-2010 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Watsatheo (Post 27642983)
Actually we would have made the playoffs regardless. The Rangers needed to win the last game of the season in extra time but they lost.

Damn it!

Pleky Roks 09-03-2010 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 417 (Post 27642858)
Please...i'd be very interested to read your opinion


Well I was gonna say that things would have been a little bit different because while Halak did have a great season, his value really shot up in the playoffs and we still only got Eller and Schultz in return!! If he didn't have the playoff success at all, there is no way he would have landed that much in return.....we likely would have only gotten Schultz in return.

It is very obvious that the Habs never had any intentions in keeping Halak since they let him go after the great season and playoffs he had and still kept Price....so missing the playoffs wouldn't have changed that at all, the only thing it effected was the return we got.

For some reason, I still expect to get slammed for my comment even though it makes perfect sense.

Prendan Brust 09-03-2010 01:06 PM

I don't think the habs strategy would have changed, Carey Price has always been their man. Obviously, we would have got a lesser return for Halak but on the bright side, I don't think we would be dealing with all this BS about the habs decision to trade Halak.

Prendan Brust 09-03-2010 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HalakRulz (Post 27643013)
Well I was gonna say that things would have been a little bit different because while Halak did have a great season, his value really shot up in the playoffs and we still only got Eller and Schultz in return!! If he didn't have the playoff success at all, there is no way he would have landed that much in return.....we likely would have only gotten Schultz in return.

It is very obvious that the Habs never had any intentions in keeping Halak since they let him go after the great season and playoffs he had and still kept Price....so missing the playoffs wouldn't have changed that at all, the only thing it effected was the return we got.

For some reason, I still expect to get slammed for my comment even though it makes perfect sense.

I hope you won't get slammed because I basically wrote the same thing as you... :naughty:

417 09-03-2010 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HalakRulz (Post 27643013)
Well I was gonna say that things would have been a little bit different because while Halak did have a great season, his value really shot up in the playoffs and we still only got Eller and Schultz in return!! If he didn't have the playoff success at all, there is no way he would have landed that much in return.....we likely would have only gotten Schultz in return.

It is very obvious that the Habs never had any intentions in keeping Halak since they let him go after the great season and playoffs he had and still kept Price....so missing the playoffs wouldn't have changed that at all, the only thing it effected was the return we got.

For some reason, I still expect to get slammed for my comment even though it makes perfect sense.

Agreed...wouldn't you then say that the Habs maximised his value? They weren't going to keep Halak regardless, that much was obvious.

Fozz 09-03-2010 01:16 PM

Good question. Regardless how it would have happened, if the Habs hadn't made the playoffs, there's no way that trading Halak would have caused so much talk. However, considering that the goalie market is really bad, there's no way he would have gotten the return he did.

417 09-03-2010 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fozz (Post 27643157)
Good question. Regardless how it would have happened, if the Habs hadn't made the playoffs, there's no way that trading Halak would have caused so much talk. However, considering that the goalie market is really bad, there's no way he would have gotten the return he did.

Which is what i'm trying to get at...so much angst towards the Habs organization for trading Jaroslav Halak when the margin between playoffs and no playoffs was so slim. While I realize that this is a moot point because the Habs did make the playoffs and Halak did have an outstanding round 1 vs. the Caps...yet still, I think the massive outcry regarding the Habs trading him is misguided.

Doesn't make sense IMO

Fozz 09-03-2010 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 417 (Post 27643201)
Which is what i'm trying to get at...so much angst towards the Habs organization for trading Jaroslav Halak when the margin between playoffs and no playoffs was so slim. While I realize that this is a moot point because the Habs did make the playoffs and Halak did have an outstanding round 1 vs. the Caps...yet still, I think the massive outcry regarding the Habs trading him is misguided.

Doesn't make sense IMO

Totally agree. Halak's playoff performance was great on every level. It was fun for us fans, great for the team's confidence and helped balloon his value and get us what will turn out to be a very, very good player in Eller.

Pleky Roks 09-03-2010 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 417 (Post 27643135)
Agreed...wouldn't you then say that the Habs maximised his value? They weren't going to keep Halak regardless, that much was obvious.


I don't know about maximizing his value, I feel he could have gotten a better return, like a proven NHL player instead of a couple of prospects but they apparently got as much as they could for him....so I gotta leave it at that.

Fozz 09-03-2010 01:35 PM

Halak's playoff run definitely maximized his value.

417 09-03-2010 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HalakRulz (Post 27643368)
I don't know about maximizing his value, I feel he could have gotten a better return, like a proven NHL player instead of a couple of prospects but they apparently got as much as they could for him....so I gotta leave it at that.

I think the Habs specifically were looking at young, cost controlled players...they did not want large NHL contracts coming back. A young player on an entry level contract is what they were looking for....

and in these days of a salary cap, having cheap players who produce beyond their salary rate, is KEY, it helps balance out some of the other large contracts on your team whose salary vs. production isnt quite up to par

Pleky Roks 09-03-2010 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 417 (Post 27643429)
I think the Habs specifically were looking at young, cost controlled players...they did not want large NHL contracts coming back. A young player on an entry level contract is what they were looking for....

and in these days of a salary cap, having cheap players who produce beyond their salary rate, is KEY, it helps balance out some of the other large contracts on your team whose salary vs. production isnt quite up to par


Yeah....you're right...thats a good point. You can see that on many teams....they have 4 or 5 high paid players and the rest of them make around $1-2 million.

I just hope Eller turns out to be good...because we already seen that Halak is good, so you don't want to take too big of a step back when getting rid of 1 player for another.

Max Levine 09-03-2010 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 417 (Post 27642153)
I've often wondered how much things would be different today if the Habs had lost that last game of the season vs. the Leafs in regulation, thus eliminating them from the playoffs...

How do you guys think this whole Halak/Price situation would have broken down?

I tend to think that the Halak for Eller + Schultz trade would of never happened...but I wonder how our teams outlook would of changed for this upcoming season.

I know it's kind of useless to look back...but I find it interesting how ONE single game and ONE single point in the standings, changed everything for the Habs heading into this season.

The pivotal game, as far as I'm concerned, was actually game 5 vs Washington. An average Halak in game 5, as we saw in games 2 and 3, and a loss would have changed Jaro's value but not so much the look of the team. Seeing how Gauthier quickly traded him without any discussion with his agent, I think it's fair to say that Halak would still be gone. They might have traded him to improve their rank in the 1st round draft. They might have included a youngster to get a better return. Both Eller and Tinordi might not be here. Gauthier would have hired a UFA to play center on the 3rd line. We'd be talking about adding speed and talent to beat the Caps as opposed to grit and size to beat the Flyers.

As for other changes, I don't think there would have been so many. Plekanec was the main issue and PG mentioned in press conference that his coach loved Plek. Once you add a 3rd line center and Plekanec's salary, there's not much left you can do but offer AK here and there.

Oh! Sergei would still be gone.


Quote:

Originally Posted by Watsatheo (Post 27642983)
Actually we would have made the playoffs regardless. The Rangers needed to win the last game of the season in extra time but they lost.

Habs secured their position on Saturday. Flyers-Rangers played their last game on Sunday. A Montreal loss in regular time against the Leafs would have changed the whole game plan for both Philly and NY.

Watsatheo 09-03-2010 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Max Levine (Post 27644458)

Habs secured their position on Saturday. Flyers-Rangers played their last game on Sunday. A Montreal loss in regular time against the Leafs would have changed the whole game plan for both Philly and NY.

Not really. The Rangers still needed to win to get in and the Flyers would have needed a point. I doubt the Flyers would have changed their game plan to play for tie.

99GoHabsGo99 09-03-2010 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harmony (Post 27643070)
I hope you won't get slammed because I basically wrote the same thing as you... :naughty:


epic picture


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:04 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.