HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   My rankings 6/2/04 (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=81645)

Sunshine 06-02-2004 09:49 AM

My rankings 6/2/04

I will be the first to admit-I haven't seen any of these players first hand.
However, from the bios I've glanced at, I feel that the window of information that I've been given to supplies me with a fair understanding of each prospect:

Ovechkin-1st overall, future offensive star
Malkin-2nd overall, tough 2nd liner for the next 15 seasons

Barker-1st line D-Man
Tukonen-I like him
Ladd-safe choice, but I'm not sold on him as a #6 overall pick
Schremp-boom or bust, if we like him so much-move down a few slots
Schwarz/Montoya: N/A, don't need a G but I think Schwarz will be much better.
Stafford-safer choice a la Ladd, not worthy of #6.
Olesz-Not a fan, don't want him at #6
Radulov-Not a fan, don't want him at #6

Smid/Meszaros, not on my radar. (Will go #10-20)

Lisin-Want no part of him
Picard-Want no part of him

Thelen, like him a lot. Would move up from 24 to get him in the top 15

Chipchura, a la Ladd/Stafford, a safer pick. I like it for #24

Wolski, I like him-but won't be there.

Valabik, love this guy.

Bolland and Korpikoski, both solid picks. Nokelainen and Sindel as well (#24?)

Want no part of Voloshenko, Zajac, Schneider, Schultz, Graham, Salmonsson, Pineault, Berti, Kaspar, Bickel. Soderberg, Vorobiev, Gracik

Dream draft:
#6 Tukonen/Ladd or move down to take Schremp
#13-24: Thelen, Wolski, Valabik, Chipchura

2nd rd'ers:
Lyamin, Fransson, Bahensky, Wharton, Parshin, Alexandrov

BobMarleyNYR 06-02-2004 01:51 PM

Parshin sucks... I like Lyamin, Fransson, Nokelainen, Sindel and Bolland... Alexandrov and Wharton, too, but not in NY.

Bluenote13 06-02-2004 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobMarleyNYR
Parshin sucks... I like Lyamin, Fransson, Nokelainen, Sindel and Bolland... Alexandrov and Wharton, too, but not in NY.

Wharton? Why not?

TKLOOCH22 06-03-2004 03:02 PM

Draft

Haven't seen any of the eligible's other than Al Montoya and T.J. Hensick, and he's not even eligible. Lol. Other than that, this draft should be very fun as after the top 10 it should be mayhem with sleepers and out of the dark picks happen frequently. I can't wait. Sure beats studying for SAT's.

Alex Kovalev 06-03-2004 03:06 PM

Malkin has been compared to a Joe Thornton/Joe Sakic mix. Where do you get tough 2nd line center. The guy had potential allstar written all over him.

free0717 06-03-2004 03:31 PM

I would love to see Tukonen fall to us at #6 but have no problem with Ladd or Olesz. If we get Ladd at #6 I would love to pick at #23/24 Travis Zajac. Travis put up awesome numbers in Jr. A and has good size and speed, soft hands and good hockey instincts.

Bluenote13 06-03-2004 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by free0717
I would love to see Tukonen fall to us at #6 but have no problem with Ladd or Olesz. If we get Ladd at #6 I would love to pick at #23/24 Travis Zajac. Travis put up awesome numbers in Jr. A and has good size and speed, soft hands and good hockey instincts.

And he'll be the top recruit at Center next season for North Dakota. I like this player, would be nice pickup with the Toronto 1st rounder.

pittengineer 06-03-2004 04:37 PM

Labeling Malkin a tough 2nd liner for the next 15 years. Have you seen him play much? He would go #1 overall in a draft w/o someone named AO. I guess AK and me could be labeled as bias as it looks our club will select him, but I think you will find Malkin to be no less than a good 1st line center. His ceiling is through the roof, with his top potential being a superstar at the center position.

Bluenote13 06-03-2004 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pittengineer
Labeling Malkin a tough 2nd liner for the next 15 years. Have you seen him play much? He would go #1 overall in a draft w/o someone named AO. I guess AK and me could be labeled as bias as it looks our club will select him, but I think you will find Malkin to be no less than a good 1st line center. His ceiling is through the roof, with his top potential being a superstar at the center position.

This comes from a relatively new poster, so I wouldn't get too worked up about it.

Barnaby 06-03-2004 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pittengineer

Your not kidding. I think Malkin will be a sick NHL player. I would LOVE to draft him. Maybe if we get lucky the Pens will have trouble affording him, and trade us the pick ;) Those Russian teams can be a real pain in the arse to deal with.

Ok... maybe I'm a little too optomistic, but I'd kill (not literally) to land that caliber of a center.

Fish 06-03-2004 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluenote13
And he'll be the top recruit at Center next season for North Dakota. I like this player, would be nice pickup with the Toronto 1st rounder.

He also drew my attention for that spot for the same reason you highlighted. Certainly playing for Jr A. doesn't help his cause, but it seems like he might be a better bet than some of the others who are in that region of the draft. Wolski's another who piques my interest, but I'm not sure he'll last that long with the additional press he's been getting being Polish born etc...

BobMarleyNYR 06-03-2004 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluenote13
Wharton? Why not?

Not that I don't like hime... he's big and offensive. But I'd rather not take any d-man as early as I believe Wharton will go (25-35). If he is the BPA, that's a different story. I'd like to get Lepisto or Tesliuk... O'Neill,, NO WAY!

Broadway Brett 06-03-2004 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobMarleyNYR
Not that I don't like hime... he's big and offensive. But I'd rather not take any d-man as early as I believe Wharton will go (25-35). If he is the BPA, that's a different story. I'd like to get Lepisto or Tesliuk... O'Neill,, NO WAY!

Why not O'Neil? I like him alot, I would love to get him with our second first rounder.

Edge 06-04-2004 01:39 AM

Count me amongst those who believe that Malkin stands a very good chance of being a better player than Ovechkin. Keep in mind he is almost a year a younger.

Barnaby 06-04-2004 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edge
Count me amongst those who believe that Malkin stands a very good chance of being a better player than Ovechkin. Keep in mind he is almost a year a younger.

Edge,

Do you think that we have a reasonable chance to move up and get him? I just love what he brings to the table. I could see him being a #1 center to build around. When you throw him out there our young forwards look MUCH more dangerous as a group.

Prucha73 06-04-2004 02:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barnaby
Do you think that we have a reasonable chance to move up and get him? I just love what he brings to the table. I could see him being a #1 center to build around. When you throw him out there our young forwards look MUCH more dangerous as a group.

I think we have a better chance getting Ovechkin than we do Malkin, because Penguins got tons of depth, nothing we can offer him that would really impress them. Washington got significantly less depth. Sather might trade Prucha and Lundqvist, maybe Tyutin as well, after disappointing playoffs.

Barnaby 06-04-2004 02:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prucha73
I think we have a better chance getting Ovechkin than we do Malkin, because Penguins got tons of depth, nothing we can offer him that would really impress them. Washington got significantly less depth. Sather might trade Prucha and Lundqvist, maybe Tyutin as well, after disappointing playoffs.

I doubt that.

1. With Pitt money is always a question. Malkins contract plus God knows how much to the Russian team who he currently plays for. Considering that team wouldn't allow him attend the combine - they probably will be a pain in the arse to deal with.

2. Pitt would probably like cheaper position players who they feel can keep their payroll low - yet help them compete.

3. Washington has a good number of picks as well. They traded off players like the Rangers did so our other picks this year won't be as valuable

4. Washington could use that star name to help keep the fans, and get them excited about a rebuild. Right now who are you going to see? For a pretty big market team they have no identifiable name.

5. Washington can easily afford AO

6. The Ranger are NOT going to trade Tyutin unless someone DRASTICALLy overpays. You dont trade your top young d-man when rebuilding - if Sather held him off the table when trying for a playoff run, then why in the world would they move him now?

Prucha73 06-04-2004 02:40 AM

Quote:

I doubt that.

1. With Pitt money is always a question. Malkins contract plus God knows how much to the Russian team who he currently plays for. Considering that team wouldn't allow him attend the combine - they probably will be a pain in the arse to deal with.

2. Pitt would probably like cheaper position players who they feel can keep their payroll low - yet help them compete.

3. Washington has a good number of picks as well. They traded off players like the Rangers did so our other picks this year won't be as valuable

4. Washington could use that star name to help keep the fans, and get them excited about a rebuild. Right now who are you going to see? For a pretty big market team they have no identifiable name.

5. Washington can easily afford AO

6. The Ranger are NOT going to trade Tyutin unless someone DRASTICALLy overpays. You dont trade your top young d-man when rebuilding - if Sather held him off the table when trying for a playoff run, then why in the world would they move him now?

What would Penguins want in return for #2, besides cash? Besides maybe Balej and Jessiman they probably don't need anybody else. Anyway you look at it it would probably mean we have to give up too much. probably best stay where we are or maybe make a deal with Chicago which shouldn't cost us much and take Barker.

Barnaby 06-04-2004 02:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prucha73
What would Penguins want in return for #2, besides cash?

Probably a lot, but as long as it's not something crazy like the old Lindros trade then I'd try to do it.

My guess: #6, couple 2nd's (one of which our 1st 2nd), Lundmark, Ca$h, and a prospect like Liffiton?

Just throwing something out... not sure thats enough for them, but it's probably realistic of what they'd want, and what we could give. We'd walk away with Malkin, Toronto 1st, and a few seconds.

Prucha73 06-04-2004 02:59 AM

Quote:

Probably a lot, but as long as it's not something crazy like the old Lindros trade then I'd try to do it.

My guess: #6, couple 2nd's (one of which our 1st 2nd), Lundmark, Ca$h, and a prospect like Liffiton?

Just throwing something out... not sure thats enough for them, but it's probably realistic of what they'd want, and what we could give. We'd walk away with Malkin, Toronto 1st, and a few seconds.

I can't imagine why any team besides maybe Oilers would want Lundmark. He has done absolutely nothing. Look at a guy like Saprykin who is hustling, getting his nose dirty and putting up points, while Lundmark looks like he lost almost all skill and speed that he had.

Edge 06-04-2004 12:29 PM

Quote:

Edge,

I'd be shocked if Pitts. made that move. Honestly I think the top two picks arent going anywhere, but anything after them is fair game.

kazo 06-04-2004 01:09 PM

Quote:

Edge,

So maybe you trade our 2 #1's, Jessiman and say, Murray for the chance to draft second. What does that do to the organizational depth you're trying to develop? I don't care how good Malkin is, that would not be the way to go.

pittengineer 06-04-2004 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kazo
So maybe you trade our 2 #1's, Jessiman and say, Murray for the chance to draft second. What does that do to the organizational depth you're trying to develop? I don't care how good Malkin is, that would not be the way to go.

Malkin is going to be a good one, but why trade one of your better prospects(jessiman), a #6 overall draft pick(could be olesz by the way he is dropping), another #1, and murray. To be honest, it would prob take something like that to move the #2 pick to the rangers and I would not do it from their standpoint. The pens system lacks that #1 center and has quality depth overall through out their system. I think the would have trouble dealing the pick even if such an offer was presented.

All in all, I think it fits both teams to not trade with each other. If the rangers think high enough of barker, they could move up to #4 and pick him. However, I dont see much movement in the top 8 this year and I think the Pens(#2) and Rangers(#6) will stay point.

Barnaby 06-04-2004 01:21 PM

Quote:

I'd hold onto Jessiman and Prucha... Murray could go, but this package would be in my too much area.

Prucha73 06-04-2004 01:26 PM

Quote:

But don't you think this is a "bit" too much?