HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   National Hockey League Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Goal\No Goal talk(ALL SUCH TALK GOES HERE!!!) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=81655)

ZombieMatt 06-01-2004 01:40 PM

Goal\No Goal talk(ALL SUCH TALK GOES HERE!!!)

Despite the disaparaging remarks from Flames fans, including ludicrous claims that the game was rigged, the Calgary Flames themselves are doing pretty well in responding to questions about the officiating.

Sutter did say that he was confused that the game wasn't called the same in the third as it was in the first and that he thought Nieminen's hit should have been 2 not 5, but seemed to restrain himself from outright complaints and such a great deal.

Chris Clark himself said that the call on him was justified, and that the Flames need to worry about being disciplined. He also pointed out that the single goal shouldn't have mattered all that much because when you think about it you need to score a goal to win the game anyhow.

Iginla refrained from commenting on the officiating inthe interviews I saw.

And Conroy was surprisingly quiet on the issue, just saying they need to be careful when playing physically.

I haven't heard what Ville has to say, but I mean, when you hit a guy from behind, you don't have much of a defence.

All around, I'm very impressed with how Flames players are responding compared to what seems to be widespread outrage from fans.

HellsBells 06-01-2004 01:49 PM

I think what is rubbing Flames fans the wrong way is that Nieminen is treated as some kind of criminal but Stillman's hit was just as bad, probably worse IMO.

I am not defending Nemo in any way, shape or form. The hit was a penalty (2 minutes IMO) and Lecavalier was NOT faking as some Flames fans would like to believe.

Both sets of fans need to realize that both teams have been guilty of cheap hits in this series. I think some Flames fans are defending Nieminen because Stillman's hit was basically ignored by HF & the NHL. Not saying that makes it right but its hard to listen to all this Flames are dirty crap when it was Stillman's hit that got the ball rolling.

All in all, what a great series this is shaping up to be. Best SCF in years.

Phanuthier* 06-01-2004 01:54 PM

FLAMES FANS SUCK!!!

BURN THEM AT THE STAKE!!!

THEY ARE THE EPITIMY OF ALL EVIL!!!

ALL OF THEM SHOULD GO TO HELL!!!

THEY DON'T DESERVE TO LIVE!!!

achem... sorry about that...

Mob mentality

The Frugal Gourmet 06-01-2004 01:57 PM

I heard that Calgary Flames fans eat their own young.

Flamin' Griz 06-01-2004 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mountie
Despite the disaparaging remarks from Flames fans, including ludicrous claims that the game was rigged, the Calgary Flames themselves are doing pretty well in responding to questions about the officiating.

Sutter did say that he was confused that the game wasn't called the same in the third as it was in the first and that he thought Nieminen's hit should have been 2 not 5, but seemed to restrain himself from outright complaints and such a great deal.

Chris Clark himself said that the call on him was justified, and that the Flames need to worry about being disciplined. He also pointed out that the single goal shouldn't have mattered all that much because when you think about it you need to score a goal to win the game anyhow.

And Conroy was surprisingly quiet on the issue, just saying they need to be careful when playing physically.

I haven't heard what Ville has to say, but I mean, when you hit a guy from behind, you don't have much of a defence.

All around, I'm very impressed with how Flames players are responding compared to what seems to be widespread outrage from fans.

Plenty of Flames fans have said the same things. You just choose to focus on the one's who are posting out of emotion instead.

Once again, here's someone judging an entire group of fans by the words of a vocal minority.

Spacefille 06-01-2004 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Frugal Gourmet
I heard that Calgary Flames fans eat their own young.

That's ridiculous. I, personally, have no young to eat. ;)

I felt that Calgary handled itís self well in the interviews as well. As for the fans, the fans I know in ďreal lifeĒ have been quite levelheaded about it. Itís the fanatics online that are getting their underwear all tied in a knot.

looooob 06-01-2004 02:03 PM

Quote:

fair post, except perhaps (or definitely) painting Flames fans with too broad a brush

Ville, to his credit (and I am not defending the hit) did face the media after the game, but wouldn't comment on the severity of his hit per se

Iginla did not blast the officiating in his post game interviews but he was seething. mostly because he and his teammates didn't finish their chances, but he was clearly upset at how the game was called(rightly or wrongly)

The Frugal Gourmet 06-01-2004 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spacefille
That's ridiculous. I, personally, have no young to eat. ;)

I felt that Calgary handled itís self well in the interviews as well. As for the fans, the fans I know in ďreal lifeĒ have been quite levelheaded about it. Itís the fanatics online that are getting their underwear all tied in a knot.

Fiction? Oh really? And I suppose the the Tampa fan who told me you all drink your own bathwater up there and reproduce asexually was also lying? :)

Spacefille 06-01-2004 02:09 PM

Quote:

Fiction? Oh really? And I suppose the the Tampa fan who told me you all drink your own bathwater up there and reproduce asexually was also lying? :)

Haha... quite possibly my friend. Usually our bathwater is frozen you see, it can get quite cold up here... :)

highstickingyerface 06-01-2004 02:11 PM

The Stillman hit didn't start anything. Stillman fought Ference that should have ended that issue. This is the Stanley Cup Final... not Ottawa-Philly in February

There is (hopefully) a season coming up to answer any dirty hits you feel need answering. Ville Nieminen is an idiot plain and simple... always has been.. always will be

Martin Gelinas' hit on Kubina was the equivalent to the Stillman hit on Nilson.... it hasn't received much attention from HF or the NHL either nor should it... small guys tend to leap into bigger guys when they hit.. it's not a new thing

HF-Addict 06-01-2004 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Splatman Phanutier

FLAMES FANS SUCK!!!

BURN THEM AT THE STAKE!!!

THEY ARE THE EPITIMY OF ALL EVIL!!!

ALL OF THEM SHOULD GO TO HELL!!!

THEY DON'T DESERVE TO LIVE!!!

That sums up what I thought the original poster meant with this thread.

Teemu 06-01-2004 02:37 PM

Didnt we decide in the middle of the season with a certain neckbreaking incident that revenge isnt justified?

ZombieMatt 06-01-2004 02:42 PM

I only have online responses to deem how Flames fans are reacting, and the only mistake I think in the original post was saying "ludicrous claims", when in actuallity, it was only Snakeye saying that.

The post was NOT meant to slam Flames fans, and it didn't. I don't think many would argue that the vast majority of FLames fans have been critical of the officiating, though I agree that there is the possibility that only the vocal minority are frreaking out about it...but at the same time, how are hockey fans in general not to assume that all FLames fans are irate/over-reacting (depending on your stance) about it if only the over-reacting fans voice their opinion?

Just one way to look at it.

Anyhow, the point of the post was PRAISING the Flames.

And still a few Flames fans manage to get hyper defensive and have brilliant, well thought out, on topic replies like the gem from Splatman.

:dunno:

ZombieMatt 06-01-2004 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garfield
I think what is rubbing Flames fans the wrong way is that Nieminen is treated as some kind of criminal but Stillman's hit was just as bad, probably worse IMO.

I am not defending Nemo in any way, shape or form. The hit was a penalty (2 minutes IMO) and Lecavalier was NOT faking as some Flames fans would like to believe.

Both sets of fans need to realize that both teams have been guilty of cheap hits in this series. I think some Flames fans are defending Nieminen because Stillman's hit was basically ignored by HF & the NHL. Not saying that makes it right but its hard to listen to all this Flames are dirty crap when it was Stillman's hit that got the ball rolling.

All in all, what a great series this is shaping up to be. Best SCF in years.

I can understand this point of view.

I certainly agree its the best final in several years.

Although I think its fair to realize that MANY people, 'experts' and so forth, are increasingly calling the Flames a dirty team. Hell, Dave Hodge called them the new BSB yesterday (insert flaming of Dave Hodge from the vocal minority of Flames fans).

I don't particularly think that they're a dirty team. Every team has a few cheapshot artists to be frank. I think the Flames are the best team in the league at "cheating." (Insert more flaming) I don't mean it as an insult...I don't think there is a team that is able to toe the line of what is legal/illegal on the ice better than the Flames. They hold just long enough to disrupt but not enough to get the call, they slash when they can, the defence is the master of the 'can opener' but are smart enough to never get called for it, the defence is able to basically two handed assault guys behind the net and rarely get penalized...their hits always are the perfect 2.99999999 strides away, they're able to mask when they jump into their hits...they always get a couple extra shots in during a scrum, etc. Of course I'll get blasted for saying this, but I don't see it as an insult.

The Flames take advantage of the NHL officials better than any team in the league bar none. No team is better at toeing the line. To me this is an example of how well coached the team is, and, ironically, their discipline to do what they can get away with without going too far.

Every team tries to do it, just nobody is as good as the Flames at it.

rye&ginger 06-01-2004 03:09 PM

The Flames are a rough team. If they play that way, they should expect to get more penalties because mistakes will be made by THEM and sometimes the Refs. Deal with it.

Game 4 was about the mistakes the Flames made; the refs made the right calls from what I saw.

Flycoon* 06-01-2004 03:26 PM

Quote:

Bathwater? They bathe in Calgary?

Jarnberg 06-01-2004 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flycoon
Bathwater? They bathe in Calgary?

Only in the blood of the innocent....

Snakeeye 06-02-2004 12:13 AM

Quote:

Although I think its fair to realize that MANY people, 'experts' and so forth, are increasingly calling the Flames a dirty team. Hell, Dave Hodge called them the new BSB yesterday (insert flaming of Dave Hodge from the vocal minority of Flames fans).

As the President of the Vocal Minority, I have to say that I LOVE that comparison. Let the fans hate us. I hope that we can hoist the cup - hopefully in Calgary - but if it is in Tampa, I want to hear 21,000 Tampa fans in an absolute fury that Calgary beat them playing "dirty". I'm going to game 7 if there is one, and if there is, I want to leave knowing that I am surrounded by thousands of people who hate my guts because of the red jersey I am wearing, and of the result of the game.

Hell, if Sydor running Iginla from behind wasnt a penalty, then Ville Niemenen did nothing wrong.

Flame me all you want. I want to hear it. I want to hear all of the crying and moaning about how we didnt deserve that title as we raise our banners to the rafters of the Saddledome next year.

Because if you are hated, you are doing something extremely right.

--------

As for playing the referees, I think Detroit does it better than anyone else. Mostly beause they are more subtle. Detroit can run interference like nobodies buisness. Calgary may be a distant second however.

Enoch 06-02-2004 02:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teemu08
Didnt we decide in the middle of the season with a certain neckbreaking incident that revenge isnt justified?

Sometimes people forget that. Two wrongs do not make a right people. At least not in this man's eyes.

quat 06-02-2004 02:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snakeeye
As the President of the Vocal Minority, I have to say that I LOVE that comparison. Let the fans hate us. I hope that we can hoist the cup - hopefully in Calgary - but if it is in Tampa, I want to hear 21,000 Tampa fans in an absolute fury that Calgary beat them playing "dirty". I'm going to game 7 if there is one, and if there is, I want to leave knowing that I am surrounded by thousands of people who hate my guts because of the red jersey I am wearing, and of the result of the game.

Hell, if Sydor running Iginla from behind wasnt a penalty, then Ville Niemenen did nothing wrong.

Flame me all you want. I want to hear it. I want to hear all of the crying and moaning about how we didnt deserve that title as we raise our banners to the rafters of the Saddledome next year.

Because if you are hated, you are doing something extremely right.

--------

As for playing the referees, I think Detroit does it better than anyone else. Mostly beause they are more subtle. Detroit can run interference like nobodies buisness. Calgary may be a distant second however.

If anyone in Tampa does hate you, I'm sure it will be for your opinions and not the red sweater you would be sporting.

Aren't you the guy who's been calling Tampa a dirty team for all their head hits, and now here you are complaining about other posters calling the Flames a dirty team... Your paranoia is bizzare and rather compelling to watch/read.

I would suggest you stop posting on these boards as it's clearly ruining any pleasure you must get from having the Flames in a best of three series for the SC.

Snakeeye 06-02-2004 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quat
Aren't you the guy who's been calling Tampa a dirty team for all their head hits, and now here you are complaining about other posters calling the Flames a dirty team... Your paranoia is bizzare and rather compelling to watch/read.

Actually no. I'm only arguing that Tampa is at least as dirty as Calgary. Thanks for trying to revise history since you dont have an argument using the truth though.

1Timer 06-02-2004 10:59 AM

Bye, Nemo.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=86152

1 Game.

Quote:

Calgary Flames forward Ville Nieminen has been handed a one-game suspension for his hit on Tampa Bay Lightning forward Vincent Lecavalier in Game 4 of the Stanley Cup final, TSN has learned. He will miss Thursday's pivotal game in Tampa Bay.

Tuggy 06-02-2004 11:01 AM

Well deserved....

Kitsune 06-02-2004 11:11 AM

does it really make a difference? Nemo missed Game 5 of the Detroit series and look at the game they played. I think this could possibly be a good thing for the Flames...

Knucklez 06-02-2004 11:17 AM

Expected. So will Oliwa and Lowry dress?