HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Bill Guerin? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=81692)

Dr Love 06-02-2004 01:44 PM

Bill Guerin?

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=86126

Quote:

The Dallas Morning News reports that a clause in Guerin's contract gives the Stars 45 days to try and trade him once the Stanley Cup finals are over.

Guerin says he will provide to Stars GM Doug Armstrong a list of teams he would be wiling to go to in a trade, however, he refused to mention who might be on the list.
I think the Flyers would be near the top of the list. He'll want to go to a competitive team, which the Flyers are, and one with stability, which the Flyers are too. And he recent bought a house in South Jersey (his wife is from Medford I think, somewhere around there), so that only makes sense. I would certainly want Guerin, especially if it means the jettison of LeClair and/or Amonte. Perhaps the Stars can take Amonte off the Flyers' hands, who knows. But the problem is he makes 9 million a year, and money is already a problem for the Flyers. Dallas is going to have to eat some of Guerin's salary no matter where he is dealt to, if he is dealt. Guerin could be the guy the Flyers need, first and foremost he's a goal scorer, he plays physical, and he's got playoff experience having won a Cup in '95. I imagine that Guerin has interest in coming here. But are the feelings mutual?

GKJ 06-02-2004 01:49 PM

Leclair and Amonte for Guerin :D

That way, the Stars won't have to pay any part of Guerin's salary :jump:

Yertle The Turtle 06-02-2004 02:02 PM

Might as well add in zhamnov maby they could get a 2nd rouder for that and guerin. ;) I dont no y any one hasnt metioned this but y not get rid of desardins this offseason :dunno:

jplush76 06-02-2004 02:10 PM

we should get rid of primeau, gagne, esche, johnsson and replace them with ****** phantoms players.. maybe even players straight out of highschool

DeleteThisAccount 06-02-2004 02:32 PM

Why not peewee?

Coburnfan05 06-02-2004 02:48 PM

Please flyers brass...do not even consider bringing in Geurin, he is old and his best days are behind him.

Cuiff 06-02-2004 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GagsIsDaMan
Please flyers brass...do not even consider bringing in Geurin, he is old and his best days are behind him.

Sounds perfect!! :D

Pontifex Maximus* 06-02-2004 03:00 PM

Seems he Stars were going after Amonte after they signed Guerin that summer:

http://espn.go.com/nhl/news/2002/0703/1402066.html

If this were to happen, the Stars would have to eat up a lot of money depending on what we send them.

BTW, Zhamnov is a UFA, and has no trade value (besides a late pick but that's a different story).

Rex88 06-02-2004 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyerfreak941
Might as well add in zhamnov maby they could get a 2nd rouder for that and guerin. ;) I dont no y any one hasnt metioned this but y not get rid of desardins this offseason :dunno:

Eric still has hockey left in him and before he was hurt was still a top 4 Dman. I would take him over Malakov over the course of a full year personally. He has one year on his current contract and should NOT be shipped out.

Blindside9711 06-02-2004 03:30 PM

Guerin is a personality (not to mention a salary) that we don't need in the organization. Remember that rookie teammate he two-handed across the neck in training camp? What if he takes out Carter or Richards or Niitts in the pre-season because he's too much of an ******* to know any better? I wouldn't risk that, especially not at $9 mil' per year.

stanley 06-02-2004 04:10 PM

I don't know if I'm too keen on Guerin, either. He just makes too darn much and we all know that the Flyers have enough players that already make too darn much for too darn long.

I'd rather see them go with Kirby Law out of training camp and hope they have financial flexibility to do something at the deadline if they choose. If money were no issue, I'd want Guerin in a heartbeat.

Toonces 06-02-2004 04:20 PM

Guerin makes too much money...

The Flyers need to dump some salary, not increase it.

Edit: IF Clarke is able to dump both Amonte and LeClair, now that's another story.

GKJ 06-02-2004 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blindside9711
Guerin is a personality (not to mention a salary) that we don't need in the organization. Remember that rookie teammate he two-handed across the neck in training camp? What if he takes out Carter or Richards or Niitts in the pre-season because he's too much of an ******* to know any better? I wouldn't risk that, especially not at $9 mil' per year.

After all the heat he took for that, you really think he'll do that again? :shakehead

John Flyers Fan 06-02-2004 04:25 PM

I'd make a play for Guerin. At this point Guerin is a far better player than leClair or Amonte. Big and fast, something we could use.

LeClair or Amonte would have to be included though.

LeClair & a 3rd round pick for Guerin

or

Amonte and a 5th

for

Guerin and a 2nd

Toonces 06-02-2004 04:31 PM

We'd have to pick up a signifigant portion of LeClair's salary as well.

I suspect it would have to go something like this.

LeClair + Draft Picks/Prospect/Spare Part + Salary for,

Guerin + Salary + Roleplayer

It would make no sense just to swap one high priced player for another.

Brad* 06-02-2004 05:02 PM

I wouldn't mind going after him. He seems like a Flyers type player, and if we could somehow include LeClair or Amonte in a deal for him it could be done salary-wise.

paxtang 06-02-2004 05:10 PM

He provides as much scoring ability has Amonte and Leclair combined, and twice as much toughness, so I'd love him on the team.

Although him and Roenick on a top line would make one of the worst one two scoring line fighters out there.

Rex88 06-02-2004 05:21 PM

"Just say NO"

Friends don't let GM's get drunk and make bad moves.

How do you guys like my new slogan for FADD (Fans Against Dumb Deals)

Bob Clarke Fan Club 06-02-2004 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rex88
"Just say NO"

Friends don't let GM's get drunk and make bad moves.

How do you guys like my new slogan for FADD (Fans Against Dumb Deals)

That's good...and I don't understand why Dallas would absorb our problems and give us one of their best players anyways, :dunno: Stay away Clarkie

Flyman 06-02-2004 06:10 PM

It is clear that Guerin is a Flyers type player. A big physical winger, who can score a lot of goals, that's what we need. But hell, his salary is HUGE!

GKJ 06-02-2004 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyman
But hell, his salary is HUGE!

So is John Leclair's.

blah 06-02-2004 06:59 PM

Guerin is signed through 06-07 and LeClair is signed through 05-06. If Dallas wants to unload him that badly maybe they'd take the shorter contract? Guerin would be a nice upgrade to the Flyers' first line.

GKJ 06-02-2004 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blah
Guerin is signed through 06-07 and LeClair is signed through 05-06. If Dallas wants to unload him that badly maybe they'd take the shorter contract? Guerin would be a nice upgrade to the Flyers' first line.

Or they can take Amonte with him and that clears us of 5 million dollars, meanwhile Guerin is more worth 9 million than LeClair is.

blah 06-02-2004 07:38 PM

Why would they take Amonte and LeClair?

GKJ 06-02-2004 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blah
Why would they take Amonte and LeClair?

In hopes that one of them can have a good year and the other guy can walk the next year. Their contracts run out faster and they're cleaning house anyways. Not a good reason, but I think we could fancy their interests.