HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Florida Panthers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   2012-2013 News Around the NHL thread (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=817107)

Acadmus 09-14-2009 09:24 AM

2012-2013 News Around the NHL thread

This thread is for non-Panthers news that happens in the NHL, to keep people from starting a new thread for every story they personally think is "interesting":sarcasm:

Acadmus 09-08-2010 10:09 AM

Despite the nearly year-old copied op, this is indeed our new news around the league thread.

Rattrick 09-08-2010 10:49 AM

To continue from our last thread, Strader/Potvin was an epic combo. How did we end up with the garbage we have now?

Laus723 09-08-2010 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rattrick (Post 27699000)
To continue from our last thread, Strader/Potvin was an epic combo. How did we end up with the garbage we have now?

Sure was, I don't think I enjoyed a Panther game more, than when they were our announcers. Strader did a great job with the play-by-play and I've always enjoyed Denis!

I'm gonna go ahead and point a finger towards the old, cheap-o owner as to why we've got this non-sense we currently have. Billy constantly got stuck mid-sentence last season and Goldie just always left him hanging.

Rattrick 09-08-2010 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laus723 (Post 27699348)
Sure was, I don't think I enjoyed a Panther game more, than when they were our announcers. Strader did a great job with the play-by-play and I've always enjoyed Denis!

I'm gonna go ahead and point a finger towards the old, cheap-o owner as to why we've got this non-sense we currently have. Billy constantly got stuck mid-sentence last season and Goldie just always left him hanging.

Goldie is just straight up wrong all the time. It's embarrassing! He says the wrong names, the wrong stats, you name it.

Laus723 09-08-2010 05:30 PM

Marcus Nilson is trying out for the Devils. Figured he'd finish out in Europe.

Laus723 09-08-2010 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rattrick (Post 27700139)
Goldie is just straight up wrong all the time. It's embarrassing! He says the wrong names, the wrong stats, you name it.

Yep, can't stand our announcers, though, I still prefer them over some of the others out there. (I've even starting preferring Tampa's crew over ours, :shakehead)

Markstrom Rules 09-08-2010 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rattrick (Post 27699000)

We decided not to pay them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laus723 (Post 27704029)
Yep, can't stand our announcers, though, I still prefer them over some of the others out there. (I've even starting preferring Tampa's crew over ours, :shakehead)

Whaaat?? lol I wouldn't go that far.

Blad Meaning Gud 09-08-2010 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules (Post 27704690)
We decided not to pay them.

Whaaat?? lol I wouldn't go that far.

LOL... I hate our broadcasters, but Tripp Tracy and co take the cake for most annoying lol...

Markstrom Rules 09-08-2010 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gudbransson4Prez (Post 27704740)
LOL... I hate our broadcasters, but Tripp Tracy and co take the cake for most annoying lol...

Oh God, don't even get me started on the Tripper. And John Forslund ain't no picnic either. "Cam Ward says no!" :shakehead I'd rather listen to Fran Drescher for 24 hours straight.

hoax15 09-08-2010 08:11 PM

Still beats Buffalo, imo.

Laus723 09-08-2010 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules (Post 27704783)
Oh God, don't even get me started on the Tripper. And John Forslund ain't no picnic either. "Cam Ward says no!" :shakehead I'd rather listen to Fran Drescher for 24 hours straight.

:laugh: Btw, I still can't stand "the doc," but our "team" is awful.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoax15 (Post 27705897)

Agreed.

KittysGotClaws 09-08-2010 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoax15 (Post 27705897)

As an aspiring hockey play by play man, Rick Jeanneret is my guilty pleasure. He has undeniable passion for his team and has some of the most famous calls of all time. Granted, I have heard him get more than a few names wrong and most outsiders hate his quality of voice. I do enjoy listening to him every so often though.

As far as quality announcers, to me it's a two man race. Doc Emrick for overall excitability and skill of his craft, and Jim Hughson for general voice quality (why he's on so many video games). Those are the two I study and hope to emulate. I also like the Kings guy (Bob Miller?), the Sharks TV play by play, and Joe Beninati (I know people say his voice is fake/cheesy, but I like the quality).

In terms of my least favorite, definitely the Penguins TV guy (sounds like a dog continuously growling when he gets going), the Nashville color man (holy smokes, if you've never listened to him, you've got to - but not for too long!), and Sam Rosen (purely his voice - he's very good at calling the game). And as you guys have mentioned, there's some pretty brutal Tampa and Carolina broadcasters.

Just to be honest, I've never really liked any of our announcers, including Strader. Something about his voice annoys me. Potvin was good but also had an odd voice.

Holy Jokinen 09-09-2010 09:35 AM

Jeanneret is AWESOME. Now, i know that the entire Buffalo broadcast team is homer as all hell, but you can't beat this goal call:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYh4WUqfg1U

Gives me chills every time. (not to mention the irony of him going to the Rangers the next year and sucking like crazy..)

But yeah, Strader + Potvin was easily the best announcers we've had in our history. I'm getting sick of Goldie's voice going out halfway through games, and Lindsay's constant stuttering and spitting out words before they've actually formed.

zeroG 09-09-2010 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rattrick (Post 27700139)

how about "offsides"? he's a joke. i haven't heard anyone worse in the league. period.

there are annoying homers but i guess i just look past that - i love honest to goodness exciting (and correct) calls, not the trumped up bullschmidt we get from goldie or got from the awful jeff rimer. jeanneret is one of best, imo. i'm sure, tho, that he's going to suffer a massive heart attack making one of those calls at some point.

zeroG 09-09-2010 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KittysGotClaws (Post 27708143)
As an aspiring hockey play by play man, Rick Jeanneret is my guilty pleasure. He has undeniable passion for his team and has some of the most famous calls of all time. Granted, I have heard him get more than a few names wrong and most outsiders hate his quality of voice. I do enjoy listening to him every so often though.

As far as quality announcers, to me it's a two man race. Doc Emrick for overall excitability and skill of his craft, and Jim Hughson for general voice quality (why he's on so many video games). Those are the two I study and hope to emulate. I also like the Kings guy (Bob Miller?), the Sharks TV play by play, and Joe Beninati (I know people say his voice is fake/cheesy, but I like the quality).

In terms of my least favorite, definitely the Penguins TV guy (sounds like a dog continuously growling when he gets going), the Nashville color man (holy smokes, if you've never listened to him, you've got to - but not for too long!), and Sam Rosen (purely his voice - he's very good at calling the game). And as you guys have mentioned, there's some pretty brutal Tampa and Carolina broadcasters.

Just to be honest, I've never really liked any of our announcers, including Strader. Something about his voice annoys me. Potvin was good but also had an odd voice.

agree on just about all points. strader was kind of fake, tho he called a decent game. i was never a big fan of potvin. he does have an odd voice. i do like him and he always seemed genuine.

Markstrom Rules 09-09-2010 05:38 PM

I like Jeanneret and I appreciate his uniqueness, but I can't listen to him for more than a period. It's just too annoying. Sounds like a cat in a burlap sack being beaten and drowned.

RCGP 09-09-2010 05:51 PM

My favourite is Gord Miller

Markstrom Rules 09-09-2010 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RCGP (Post 27715861)
My favourite is Gord Miller

He's pretty good, he's starting to get forgetful though which drops him a bit for me. My favorite is Jim Hughson.

jol 09-10-2010 11:30 PM

Columbus signed #4 draft pick Ryan Johansen. So now picks 1,2,4 have been signed, what about #3?

JOL

JP Mick 09-11-2010 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jol (Post 27730075)
Columbus signed #4 draft pick Ryan Johansen. So now picks 1,2,4 have been signed, what about #3?

JOL

Not sure why Columbus signed him so early, I'ts not like he's going to jump right in the NHL like Hall and maybe Seguin. We will sign Guds when the time is right, he's not going anywhere.

Desert Panther 09-14-2010 08:52 PM

Looks like Ryan is off the market .. TSN reporting 5yrs / $25.5MM

RainingRats 09-17-2010 12:42 PM

Dreger reported that Savard is suffering post concussion symptoms. Good thing we didn't trade for him (even though we probably weren't ever going to).

Weiwuer 09-20-2010 09:20 AM

Penguins have signed Ray Shero to a five-year contract extension as executive vice president and general manager.

Montsy14 09-22-2010 06:49 PM

Looks like Horton scored on his first shift of the pre-season...