HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Florida Panthers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   George Richards: Bill Murphy OUT as announcer - Mitch Phillips IN (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=817490)

billysbreakdown 09-09-2010 02:40 PM

Bill Murphy OUT as announcer - Mitch Phillips IN

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/flapa...out-kinda.html

GP update your thread please. :sarcasm:

Seriously though, sucks. Loved his voice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcbKSJIYXZA New guy

pb1300 09-09-2010 02:50 PM

I have no problem with this move. I was never a big fan of Murphy.

zeroG 09-09-2010 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pb1300 (Post 27713898)
I have no problem with this move. I was never a big fan of Murphy.

nor was i. major cheese-miester. although this guy sounds like a robot.

Hip to be Square 09-09-2010 03:47 PM

This is a good change. Now, if we can tell randy ross to take a hike. We'd be in a great spot.

With regards to television. Is goldstein still doing the play-by-play?

Ugh.

Desert Panther 09-09-2010 03:49 PM

This is a shame... I liked Murph as an announcer. The cheese was part of the charm!

As someone watching on CI, I'd always wait to hear that "PANTHERRRRRRRRRS ...." after goals.

panthersfan751 09-09-2010 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hip to be Square (Post 27714547)
This is a good change. Now, if we can tell randy ross to take a hike. We'd be in a great spot.

With regards to television. Is goldstein still doing the play-by-play?

Ugh.

From the link:
Quote:

Randi Ross is out as the in-house personality as well, but there will be another young lady taking her place.
I don't know anything about Mitch Phillips, but I thought Murphy did a good job as announcer and I liked hearing his call after the Panthers scored.

vektorious 09-09-2010 04:07 PM

looks like Mr. Murphy is already looking for another job! I don't mind honestly...It is time for a change, and that mitch philips guy has a pretty bad ass voice!

FlaPnthrsPunk 09-09-2010 07:52 PM

I was concerned before opening this thread because I liked Murph and had no idea who this new guy was by name, but now that I see that he makes the drunk driving commercials that I see all the time, I'm fine with this. Actually, he reminds me of the voice you hear when outside of the BAC. I wonder if he's the one that made those recordings.

Hip to be Square 09-09-2010 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by panthersfan751 (Post 27714747)
From the link:

I don't know anything about Mitch Phillips, but I thought Murphy did a good job as announcer and I liked hearing his call after the Panthers scored.

I didn't see that. Ok. But, still shes being replaced. More of the same bs. Friggin awful in-arena experience if you're a true hockey fan. Great if you're a dad or mom taking the kids out for family fun night.

Would it kill 'em to ease up on the kid atmosphere? I want to see some boisterous crowds for crying out loud. Sometimes I like going to see the Panthers play the Rags or the Habs, because you know there's going to be a better hockey atmosphere and not the usual silent, disney themed crap for whiny, snot-nosed children.

Boooooth10 09-09-2010 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hip to be Square (Post 27717209)
I didn't see that. Ok. But, still shes being replaced. More of the same bs. Friggin awful in-arena experience if you're a true hockey fan. Great if you're a dad or mom taking the kids out for family fun night.

Would it kill 'em to ease up on the kid atmosphere? I want to see some boisterous crowds for crying out loud. Sometimes I like going to see the Panthers play the Rags or the Habs, because you know there's going to be a better hockey atmosphere and not the usual silent, disney themed crap for whiny, snot-nosed children.

Just avoid going to the 'Kids Day' games.

Blad Meaning Gud 09-09-2010 10:13 PM

Awesome move...

Pantherkidd101 09-10-2010 01:37 PM

So is this Phillips guy going to do the "PANTHERS!.." goal call?

It would be lame if they get rid of that. :cry:

pb1300 09-10-2010 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pantherkidd101 (Post 27724086)
So is this Phillips guy going to do the "PANTHERS!.." goal call?

It would be lame if they get rid of that. :cry:

I dont think they will ever get rid of that. Why would they, its one thing that doesnt cost any money :laugh:

zeroG 09-10-2010 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pb1300 (Post 27724114)
I dont think they will ever get rid of that. Why would they, its one thing that doesnt cost any money :laugh:

true, but it's getting loooong in the tooth. and it's sadly ironic that it originated from the calls at the miami arena during the playoff run when the place was nuts (you actually couldn't hear the "GOAL" in "panthers GOAL scored by...") and there are now just a smidgen of hardcore fans there screaming goal. i think it's time to let that one go. at least until the playoffs. it's really kind of a joke at this point.

pb1300 09-10-2010 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeroG (Post 27724352)
true, but it's getting loooong in the tooth. and it's sadly ironic that it originated from the calls at the miami arena during the playoff run when the place was nuts (you actually couldn't hear the "GOAL" in "panthers GOAL scored by...") and there are now just a smidgen of hardcore fans there screaming goal. i think it's time to let that one go. at least until the playoffs. it's really kind of a joke at this point.

No way you get rid of that! That is what separates us from the rest of the teams, just like what other teams do when they score goals. No reason to get rid of something like that.

FlaPnthrsPunk 09-10-2010 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pb1300 (Post 27724733)
No way you get rid of that! That is what separates us from the rest of the teams, just like what other teams do when they score goals. No reason to get rid of something like that.

I definitely agree. No freaking way should the team ever get rid of the "GOAL!!!" chant after it's scored. Who cares how many fans are there in a given game. It's a tradition that has been a part of this team since their existence.

Desert Panther 09-10-2010 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlaPnthrsPunk (Post 27726237)
I definitely agree. No freaking way should the team ever get rid of the "GOAL!!!" chant after it's scored. Who cares how many fans are there in a given game. It's a tradition that has been a part of this team since their existence.

+1 :handclap:

zeroG 09-10-2010 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pb1300 (Post 27724733)

separates? it just falls flat now. it was great in 96 but its time has come and gone. in a half empty, half interested arena, it's really kind of pathetic. *every* single goal?

Holy Jokinen 09-10-2010 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeroG (Post 27729428)
separates? it just falls flat now. it was great in 96 but its time has come and gone. in a half empty, half interested arena, it's really kind of pathetic. *every* single goal?

Yeah, it's called tradition. That means you do it every time. Especially if it is something no other team does. You don't just abandon it cause we haven't been to the playoffs in a really long time. You keep it going, so when we get back to the playoffs, it grows even more.

pb1300 09-10-2010 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeroG (Post 27729428)

To you it might be flat and pathetic, but thats where it ends. I guess its ok that teams that have been in the playoffs, or sell out most games can have their own tradition, but since we have done neither in some time, we cant? When we played those games against the Rangers, or the Habs, where the arena was full, and we scored that game changing goal, you can feel the energy from the Panthers "goal" chant. Thats something you dont take away from this team, period. Maybe they should just do it when they have certain teams in town, would that make you feel better :shakehead

zeroG 09-11-2010 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Holy Jokinen (Post 27730054)
Yeah, it's called tradition. That means you do it every time. Especially if it is something no other team does. You don't just abandon it cause we haven't been to the playoffs in a really long time. You keep it going, so when we get back to the playoffs, it grows even more.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pb1300 (Post 27730236)
To you it might be flat and pathetic, but thats where it ends. I guess its ok that teams that have been in the playoffs, or sell out most games can have their own tradition, but since we have done neither in some time, we cant? When we played those games against the Rangers, or the Habs, where the arena was full, and we scored that game changing goal, you can feel the energy from the Panthers "goal" chant. Thats something you dont take away from this team, period. Maybe they should just do it when they have certain teams in town, would that make you feel better :shakehead

it's just my opinion. you guys can love it. i like it too. it's not a matter of what teams that are doing well can do, either. it just doesn't make sense, to me, to force that on *every single goal*. i was there at the habs game last year when matthias had that penalty shot goal and i was high-fiveing people in the moment. the "GOAL" announcement didn't move me at all, though. it's ok if you feel that way. some people don't.

anyhow, this is clearly a subjective issue. there isn't a right answer. personally, i hope the new guy abandons it until it really is warranted. but we'll see.

Lola 09-11-2010 06:38 PM

I could take or leave Murph. He wasn't awful, but he wasn't great either.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlaPnthrsPunk (Post 27726237)

Damn right!! We have so few things that make us unique, why on earth would they give that up?

Regarding the kids' atmosphere, I think that feeling will go away once the team is winning again. It's easy to pick apart everything the organization is doing when you're stuck one rung up from the basement. Put a winning team together, and no one will even notice the smoke and mirrors show this organization puts on.

And because I've been scarce lately, I'd like to mention here that I still think letting Potvin go was a mistake. I miss Potvin. I miss the Potvin Drinking Game. :(