HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Edmonton Oilers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   TSN 1260: Tom Renney on Oilers Lunch now (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=817499)

Dolemite 09-09-2010 03:06 PM

Tom Renney on Oilers Lunch now

He's on for the full hour.

http://cfrn.player.amri.ca/

Dolemite 09-09-2010 03:16 PM

Come on....ask the Bulin question already.

GMofOilers 09-09-2010 03:18 PM

Bob's going to ask him about line combos right away

Soli 09-09-2010 03:20 PM

Summarize for those in class/work!

Dolemite 09-09-2010 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soli (Post 27714249)
Summarize for those in class/work!

Just started off with Pat Quinn and how Stauffer thought he was the wrong person when he was hired.

They then talked about his approach for the team moving forward.

Then talked about line combos (missed that part).

Soli 09-09-2010 03:32 PM

Ralph and Steve with PK

Renney and Bucky with PP

Trickles down from there.

timekeep 09-09-2010 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soli (Post 27714372)
Ralph and Steve with PK

Renney and Bucky with PP

Trickles down from there.

just heard that too, yikes bucky coaching PP, hopefully he is just helping Renney.

Dolemite 09-09-2010 03:34 PM

Talked about PP/PK responsibilities. Nothing is in stone but it MAY look like this:

Ralph Krueger/Steve Smith - PK

Bucky/Renney - PP

yukoner88 09-09-2010 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMofOilers (Post 27714226)
Bob's going to ask him about line combos right away

:laugh: he just dropped it now n Renney's laughing at him

Giant Moo 09-09-2010 03:37 PM

Hall: So what's the plan on the PP, Bucky?

Buchburger: Go wide, Taylor.

Hall: Then what?

Buchburger: Well... keep going wide.

Hall: What if I get crunched?

Buchberger: (chuckling) Yeah, that happens a lot. Well, in that case... just... go wide again.

Hall: Anything else?

Buchberger: (looking at napkin) Hmm, let's see. I covered going wide, right? No, that's pretty much it.

Hall: So much for that Calder.

hockeyaddict101 09-09-2010 03:38 PM

I am sure I will miss a lot so please feel free to add. I missed the very beginning.

Happy with coaching staff and Kelly Buchberger's progression. Thinks Kelly is a great teacher. Thinks he is going to be a great head coach.

You want to be in two places as a coach, either a contender or rebuilding. Hard to be in-between.

Kruger - Instills high work ethic, no matter what the skill level. He is offensive minded but the Swiss can't score.

Renney calls himself through and to the point in his communication, he expects the players to work as hard as the coaching staff does. They have not defined the roles completely. I think he then said he and Kelly on the PP and Steve and Ralph on the PK.

Thinking of line combinations but haven't really put anything in stone yet. The guy in the middle is the key. Whitney and Gilbert are a pretty save bet as together. Everyone has to earn their minutes including the three kids.

Commercial so I will start a new post.

Joe Hallenback 09-09-2010 03:42 PM

Do people really think every Coach needs to be a ex superstar player to be successful at teaching strategy?

Dolemite 09-09-2010 03:45 PM

A fan right off the bat asks about the Goaltending. LOL

Oilbleeder 09-09-2010 03:45 PM

Errr, Renney controlling the PP?

http://www.nationalpost.com/sports/s...tml?id=1320264

Quote:

Under Renney’s watch, the power play also has been a huge problem, ranking just 28th in the NHL at 13.8 percent.
Searching articles on Google, numerous articles dating back a couple of seasons seem to point that under Renney, the PP in NYR struggled a little.

Now it could be a different situation here, and maybe he didn't control the PP in NY. But if he did, I'm not sure how he'll do with a talent downgrade on the PP from NYR in his time.

Will be interesting to see how the PP does in the future.

Dolemite 09-09-2010 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oilbleeder (Post 27714522)
Searching articles on Google, numerous articles dating back a couple of seasons seem to point that under Renney, the PP in NYR struggled a little.

'Struggled' is an understatement.

Fourier 09-09-2010 03:52 PM

Quote:

http://www.nationalpost.com/sports/s...tml?id=1320264

Now it could be a different situation here, and maybe he didn't control the PP in NY. But if he did, I'm not sure how he'll do with a talent downgrade on the PP from NYR in his time.

Will be interesting to see how the PP does in the future.

Don't worry though, he's got Bucky to set him straight. ;):help:

timekeep 09-09-2010 03:52 PM

renney just asked by a caller if he will let MacIntyre protect young players.

his response: yes, yes

hockeyaddict101 09-09-2010 03:55 PM

Taking phone calls and emails.

-Don't need to hire a new coach, he thinks he has everything covered. Will rotate who coaches upstairs.

-Team Captain - Very strong candidates, not sure if he is going to name someone right away. Hoping not to go to three "A"'s but he is not scared to do so. Did so in New York for a year

Goaltending - Dubnyk or Deslauriers. A little bit of a horse race, blank page. Dubnyk finished strong. Not sure who will play.

Souray - has no idea if he will be moved. Deferred question to management.

Underacheivers, how to deal with them? - end of bench, press box. But has to be part of the solution.

Kill penatlies who? - Fraser, Cogliano. Not scared to use the kids but will protect them by playing them with veterans.

Gilbert Brule why not more ice time etc? Could kill penalties, needs time to process game at his own pace. Need to lean on him and build his confidence.

Steve MacIntyre - yes will be allowed to protect the kids. Doesn't want to see a guy get 1.5 minutes a game. Needs the opportunity to learn to get more minutes.

What did you learn from coaching Jagr? Listen to them, give them reign and respect. Conversely not to be afraid to kick them in the butt. (obviously answered in reference to coaching stars)

Right handed players with left hand players - yes that can be important for a one time shot.

Renney excited to start the season but needs the patience of the fans as rebuilds take time.

----------

Soundwave 09-09-2010 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giant Moo (Post 27714429)
Hall: So what's the plan on the PP, Bucky?

Buchburger: Go wide, Taylor.

Hall: Then what?

Buchburger: Well... keep going wide.

Hall: What if I get crunched?

Buchberger: (chuckling) Yeah, that happens a lot. Well, in that case... just... go wide again.

Hall: Anything else?

Buchberger: (looking at napkin) Hmm, let's see. I covered going wide, right? No, that's pretty much it.

Hall: So much for that Calder.

Hemsky (whispers): Just go the right side of the net. I'll get you the puck.

Bryanbryoil 09-09-2010 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyaddict101 (Post 27714634)
Taking phone calls and emails.

-Don't need to hire a new coach, he thinks he has everything covered. Will rotate who coaches upstairs.

-Team Captain - Very strong candidates, not sure if he is going to name someone right away. Hoping not to go to three "A"'s but he is not scared to do so. Did so in New York for a year

Goaltending - Dubnyk or Deslauriers. A little bit of a horse race, blank page. Dubnyk finished strong. Not sure who will play.

Souray - has no idea if he will be moved. Deferred question to management.

Underacheivers, how to deal with them? - end of bench, press box. But has to be part of the solution.

Kill penatlies who? - Fraser, Cogliano. Not scared to use the kids but will protect them by playing them with veterans.

Gilbert Brule why not more ice time etc? Could kill penalties, needs time to process game at his own pace. Need to lean on him and build his confidence.

Steve MacIntyre - yes will be allowed to protect the kids. Doesn't want to see a guy get 1.5 minutes a game. Needs the opportunity to learn to get more minutes.

What did you learn from coaching Jagr? Listen to them, give them reign and respect. Conversely not to be afraid to kick them in the butt. (obviously answered in reference to coaching stars)

Right handed players with left hand players - yes that can be important for a one time shot.

Renney excited to start the season but needs the patience of the fans as rebuilds take time.

----------

Rebuild? You mean management is calling this a rebuild? Does this mean that some of their moves since the midpoint of last year makes sense? :sarcasm: :nod:

Other Little Mikey 09-09-2010 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dolemite (Post 27714556)
'Struggled' is an understatement.

It was okay when Jagr was there, wasn't it? So, we just need a Hall of Famer ... um ...

rigger 09-09-2010 05:08 PM

Quote:

Hemsky, Hall, Eberle, Penner, Gagner, Whitney, Gilbert, Foster.

My gut instinct is the PP will be okay.

Dolemite 09-09-2010 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Other Little Mikey (Post 27715153)
It was okay when Jagr was there, wasn't it? So, we just need a Hall of Famer ... um ...

I was thinking in his final year with the Rangers. I'm not placing blame on the players or coaches but the PP was not good.

Oilerdiehard 09-09-2010 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dolemite (Post 27715707)
I was thinking in his final year with the Rangers. I'm not placing blame on the players or coaches but the PP was not good.

Here are the PP rankings for Renney's Rangers tenure:

05/06 - 8th
06/07 - 8th
07/08 - 22nd
08/09 - 29th (coached the first 61 games before Tortorella took over)

Bryanbryoil 09-09-2010 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oilerdiehard (Post 27715909)
Here are the PP rankings for Renney's Rangers tenure:

05/06 - 8th
06/07 - 8th
07/08 - 22nd
08/09 - 29th (coached the first 61 games before Tortorella took over)

Top 10 to bottom 10 in the matter of a season? Was there a massive personnel change?