HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   CSN Philly: Backlund and JVR...Bad News and Good News (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=817506)

FreshPerspective 09-09-2010 03:58 PM

Backlund and JVR...Bad News and Good News

Leaving aside the usual goaltending drama....below was encouraging to read along with Bob's prospects. Crappy luck for Backlund though....

Quote:

James van Riemsdyk finally looks like a power forward with added muscle up top and will tip the scales at about 206. He also seems very quick on the ice, something his fellow teammates were remarking about after the player scrimmages here prior to camp opening. JVR says hes never felt this good and is raring to go. ... Nikolai Zherdev will not be in town until late this weekend.

http://www.csnphilly.com/09/09/10/Is...431&feedID=704

DrinkFightFlyers 09-09-2010 04:11 PM

You know I never even considered the fact that Backlund could be on this team. Not sure which I would like better, Leighton/Backlund or Leighton/Boucher. Also that is really exciting to hear that Bobo may be NHL ready this year, though I don't much believe it at this point. However if he has a good camp and plays well, I wouldn't be opposed to having him back up Leighton and possibly take over. Wishful thinking, I know, but still...if it's on the internet, it must be true.

FlyHigh 09-09-2010 04:13 PM

If JVR really did even put on 10-15 LBs, that could be pretty huge.

HoverCarle* 09-09-2010 04:15 PM

imagine if the Flyers goalies this year end up being backlund and Bobo haha

FreshPerspective 09-09-2010 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers (Post 27714817)
You know I never even considered the fact that Backlund could be on this team. Not sure which I would like better, Leighton/Backlund or Leighton/Boucher. Also that is really exciting to hear that Bobo may be NHL ready this year, though I don't much believe it at this point. However if he has a good camp and plays well, I wouldn't be opposed to having him back up Leighton and possibly take over. Wishful thinking, I know, but still...if it's on the internet, it must be true.

Yeah..Bob being NHL ready so soon is unlikely but I think he'll play a few games by season's end. If we're lucky maybe he'll breakout..but that's wishful thinking given our track record but it's got to change eventually and I'm sure it will with Bob and Eriksson.

As far as Backlund I still don't know why they signed him and actually I didn't think they were going to sign him...

Larry44 09-09-2010 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrDoom (Post 27714865)
As far as Backlund I still don't know why they signed him and actually I didn't think they were going to sign him...

They signed him because they liked the way he played last year and think he can compete for an NHL job.

sa cyred 09-09-2010 04:48 PM

He actually had a solid start. Being honest, they threw in a rookie against a Pens team that was playing very well, I was scared to death. I was calling a 6-7 to 0 blowout. After starting off rusty, into the second he was looking like a real NHL goalie. He was stopping shots and didnt give up many rebound. Hopefully he gets healthy and competes. I think if he wasnt hurt, I would say he would have a shot as being our #1. Sad, I know, but a chance there is. Since he is still somewhat hurt, I have a feeling he will be average.

Bob, as much as I want him to be that franchise goalie and come in as a 21 yr old and dominate.... I dont want to risk it. Let him play in the AHL a full season. MAYBE I would reconsider it if he flat out dominates at camp.

Alchemy 09-09-2010 04:50 PM

JVR filling his frame and more experience in the NHL.

OMG he is going to be a beast.

CS 09-09-2010 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harakiri (Post 27715207)
JVR filling his frame and more experience in the NHL.

OMG he is going to be a beast.

This. I'm pretty excited about this.

FreshPerspective 09-09-2010 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larry44 (Post 27715079)
They signed him because they liked the way he played last year and think he can compete for an NHL job.

Maybe so and yes towards the end he was playing well..I just thought given his age and still relative inexperience at both the AHL and NHL level they could have signed a more seasoned goalie like a "Biron type" who is getting just 75K more than Backlund's 800K. There were other options...there were a decent amount of analysts who thought he wouldn't be signed. Hopefully, he turns out ok.

jd2210 09-09-2010 05:23 PM

I've heard at various times how much Timmy P likes Bobo. We'll see but I think if it were up to him the Flyers would be Bobo and Backlund. Of course he also thought Ward was a huge signing last year.

Personally I'd like to see Leighton/Backlund and Bobo Riopel with Boucher being ditched but I doubt I'll see it.

Camp will tell all.

On a goalie note did you see that Nabby blew chunks in his KHL debut? Ha.

JVR bulking up and faster than ever is the best news I've heard all summer. seriously.

KimiFerrari 09-09-2010 06:43 PM

I'm really excited to see how JVR has developed. And I am hoping that Backlund makes a run at Boucher for backup.

Giroux tha Damaja 09-09-2010 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyHigh (Post 27714835)
If JVR really did even put on 10-15 LBs, that could be pretty huge.

Agreed. 10-15 pounds of lean muscle in one Summer is a nice amount of progress for two or three months. That's a lot of eating and lifting, for sure.

KimiFerrari 09-09-2010 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja (Post 27716588)
Agreed. 10-15 pounds of lean muscle in one Summer is a nice amount of progress for two or three months. That's a lot of eating and lifting, for sure.

Well he wast listed as 200lbs last season and they say he will come in at 206, so maybe 6lbs.

Unless he used roids, then I don't think he could put on 10-15lbs of lean muscle in a few months.

SolidSnakeUS 09-09-2010 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KimiFerrari (Post 27716989)
Well he wast listed as 200lbs last season and they say he will come in at 206, so maybe 6lbs.

Unless he used roids, then I don't think he could put on 10-15lbs of lean muscle in a few months.

I don't think most people are stupid enough to take roids.

ilovetheflyers8 09-09-2010 09:27 PM

I hope Backlund doesn't go back to butterfly stops before he is ready because he wants to compete for training camp.

Pwood 09-09-2010 09:50 PM

Cannot wait to see him this year. He is going to be a huge asset this season. Let's not forget that he had 35 points last season playing most of his time on the 3rd line.

TheLegendkiller 09-09-2010 09:59 PM

I hope he destroys somebody with a huge hit. That would be quite awesome.

Giroux tha Damaja 09-09-2010 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KimiFerrari (Post 27716989)

Yeah, it's certainly a huge amount of progress to make. Professional nutrition makes a big, big difference though. Plus he is a skinny 6'3'' guy, so there was room on his frame for the muscle. 15 pounds of muscle over all of the muscle groups on a 6'3'' guy, who's job it is to lift.....that seems possible in the span of 2-3 months.

kicksave27 09-09-2010 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLegendkiller (Post 27718441)
I hope he destroys somebody with a huge hit. That would be quite awesome.

doubtful, just not his game. But should mean he'll be hard to stop down low.

Beef Invictus 09-09-2010 11:53 PM

a backlund-shelley combo in goal could be pretty sweet.

seriously though, I'm ****ing pumped for supersized-JVR

mm6492 09-10-2010 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja (Post 27719274)
Yeah, it's certainly a huge amount of progress to make. Professional nutrition makes a big, big difference though. Plus he is a skinny 6'3'' guy, so there was room on his frame for the muscle. 15 pounds of muscle over all of the muscle groups on a 6'3'' guy, who's job it is to lift.....that seems possible in the span of 2-3 months.

Its probably not all muscle which is perfectly fine.

SolidSnakeUS 09-10-2010 01:30 AM

Imagine if JVR had the same speed or better than of that of Gagne and maybe even better hands, plus being more physical? All we can hope for?

StandingCow 09-10-2010 02:01 AM

Glad to hear about JVR, we need him to improve this year.

LEIFey 09-10-2010 07:14 AM

I'm very much pleased to hear about JVR adding some muscle. For a big guy, he was getting outmuscled a lot last season. Now if we can just get some mean streak into him...