HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Skate fit at toes (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=817751)

beth 09-10-2010 01:26 PM

Skate fit at toes

I was curious about how people's skates fit at the toes. For my first pair of skates I picked up some used Eastons in a 4.5EE. (I wear a women's 7.5 in regular shoes). When I tried on other, regular width skates, it felt like my bones were being crushed together at the balls of my feet from the sides. So I really like the width of the EE. My toes are just shy of touching the toe cap, maybe 1/8" away? It's the space *above* my toe knuckles - between the tops of my toes and the top of the boot that seems really roomy, and I'm wondering if it is too roomy? I can wiggle my toes up and down quite a lot. But the width is perfect and the ankle fits great. I was just wondering how much other people can wiggle their toes.

Thanks! :)

qwertysac 09-10-2010 02:03 PM

Sounds about right, my feet fit in my skates just like you described it.

Snug on the sides, barely touching the tip of my toes and alot off room on top of them. (i also wear EE skates)

Also keep in mind that everybody ties their skates differently. All that matters is that you're comfortable in your skates. If you are, then it really shouldnt matter how other peoples feet feel in theirs.

Ozz 09-10-2010 03:04 PM

I like a more snug fit on top of my toes, but maybe it would be worthwhile to experiment with some foot cushion to remove some of that extra room. See if it feels better for you. If so, you can drop some money on a nice pair of Superfeet.

Jarick 09-10-2010 03:14 PM

I was fitted to get the tightest fit in the heel and ankle and worry about the rest later. I did move up half a size because my toes were smashed together in a smaller boot, and then I had the larger size stretched out to accommodate my wider feet up front.

I can move my toes a little bit.

beth 09-10-2010 03:26 PM

Thanks for the input, that helps. :) I've only just started trying to skate seriously since August and I'm steadily improving, but I'm trying to sort out whether my remaining unsteadiness is strength-related or skate-fit-related. I suspect it's mostly strength, but I wanted to double-check. Sometimes I feel like I'm not controlling my skates as much as I'd like to, but I imagine more practice will work that out. I definitely want to try putting in a skating insole and see if that helps, that is a good suggestion. I will pick some up when I go to the lhs next.

vivianmb 09-12-2010 06:14 AM

i wear a 10 shoe, and 7.5 skates.
when i buy new skates, i use a dremel tool to make the toe area a little more spacious,especially where the toe-cap and boot meet. nice and tight all around.i do not wear socks.

Badger36 09-12-2010 11:46 AM

You want your toes to just barely touch the front of the toe box when you are standing straight, that way they will pull back a bit when you bend your knees and stand in a normal skating stance (IE, the "ready position").
If you can wiggle your toes a bit, but the rest of the foot fits snugly; Id think you would be good to go.

Kritter471 09-12-2010 08:59 PM

You might also check other brands for better fit. I'm a 8.5/9 women's shoe and wear a 5.5EE in Easton's but a 6D in RBK (which is what I wear). All the makers use different forms, some wider in the ball of the foot (like me!), some straighter. It's worth going to a place with lots of brands and trying on different makes and models of skates.

As far as toes go, I like a little more room at the front (I have about a half inch at most) because I've got a wide front of my foot, and when I skate backwards, that part of my foot spreads out more and is a lot more comfortable with extra space.

beth 09-17-2010 06:21 PM

Just thought I'd post a little update this...

I was at the LHS getting my shinguards and thought that while I was there I'd try on skates again. It's been about 2 months since I got my first skates and starting practicing regularly. Well, all the sizes that I'd tried on two months ago that felt waaay too small now seem to fit me really well. It's like my feet are completely different, or at least my perspective on what feels good is different. Maybe a little of both. I know I've lost a few pounds (mostly out of my butt - yay!) and I'm way stronger in my legs. But it was really striking how different all the skates felt from two months ago.

So, in the end I traded my used Easton Synergys 4.5EE in for a brand new pair of the same skate (on clearance!) in a 4.0EE, and I probably could've even gone for the regular width, but they were out.

I tried them out today and I love them. I'm working on backwards crossovers and transitions now and both seemed to be a bit easier. I seemed to have more control at the end of my toe too.

In summary...I'm glad that I bought used for my first skate, and get my feet used to skating and give me time to figure out what a better skate would feel like for me before splurging on new ones. (Though in the end it wasn't really "splurging", since the lower-mid range skates I got fit me better than the spendier skates I tried.) :D