HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Nashville Predators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   OT: 9/11/01 Where were you? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=817974)

BigFatCat999 09-11-2010 10:20 AM

9/11/01 Where were you?

To those who lost family, we grieve with you.
To those who serve to avenge our wounds, thank you.

Where were you at 8:50AM EST 9/11/01

http://www.tke.org/files/img/9-11-01-logo.jpg

Edit: I had just graduated and looking for work when I woke up and heard Peter Jennings on the TV downstairs. I turn on the TV and saw the fires burning. I spent the next few hours in total emotional lull watching the work being done in NYC. Finally I got up and walked the 2 miles to a friends house to say "Let's do something." He graduated from RPI and had the engineering knowledge to look at me with defeat and say "We can't do anything, they are gone."

Got my alam mater New England College and I watched a classmate of mine who scored a job at the school running around with his head cut off. A poor girl lost her entire family on one of the flights. NEC was a bit of a NY safety school and agony and angst filled the air like pollution. For a week all we did was watch TV. We were emotional zombies. On the Radio was Opie and Anthony out of NYC and callers just talking about their emotions. The anger was incredible. Prophetic callers asking rescuers to wear masks because of the asbestos in the buildings.

The 90's were a pretended golden age where we basked in the dot com bubble and Clintonian politics. But like a meat cleaver, the golden age turned into the dark ages. When you are young, you are sheltered from the world as a whole. 9/11 became the scar of a generation.

Flights transferred and people soon became refugees in Canada. Halifax, a city interweaved in American historical compassion took many people into their home. The history of America and Halifax is fascinating. A city where a Christmas Tree means a lot more and Red Sox caps are plentiful.

I live 4 hours from Shanksville and 4 hours from NYC. I won't go to either of them. This is the time for families not me.

Nitrous Mafia 09-11-2010 10:37 AM

Freshman in High School. Walking to physical science class. People were crowded in a doorway looking at something and I stopped to see what was going on.

A girl a couple of classes later started crying and I asked someone if she knew someone that was in the towers or something. They said no she's just crying for everyone. Kinda blew my mind at the time. Oh, the emotions of a 15 year old boy.

kivaerijo 09-11-2010 12:54 PM

heading to work with art garfunkel at the studio. heard it on the radio about 8:30-9:00. thought it was a joke for a while until i got to work and saw it on tv. session was cancelled due to client being from new york.

all and all, it was a crazy unforgettable day, but the one thing that i said to everyone was, there are going to be a LOT more inoccent people that will die because of this. and sadly i was right.

JohniusMaximus 09-11-2010 01:08 PM

I had just gotten out of biology class and was walking to geometry. Junior year of high school. A friend grabbed me in the hall and said, "We're being bombed." I gave her this weird look and she said it again.

I got to geometry class and asked the teacher to turn on the TV and she said, "We'll talk about it later." She taught class like normal. An hour later, when that class was over, I walked down the hall and went into a random classroom with a TV on and finally got to see what was happening. I saw two burning towers but had no clue what had happened. The teacher in the room I happened to roam into explained it to me.

The rest of the day we just sat and watched the news.

I talked to some friends this morning who were in that geometry class with me and we all still agree we want to take vengeance on that lady for not letting us see what was happening.

I remember that day. The following days are a blur.

Viqsi 09-11-2010 03:00 PM

I used to live in a spare property owned by my grandmother (she lived next door). The other bedrooms were unfurnished so I ended up staying in the basement, thus prompting "you live(d) in your grandparents' basement? LOL" type lines from then 'till the end of eternity. Alas!

Anyways. Late this one evening, I'd had a friend drive up from Cincinnati to visit (BFC: we last met him at Win Wok on the way down to Nashville last New Year's, so you should know who. ;) ). We'd gone out to dinner (he and I always tend to go to Chinese places any time we meet), played a Playstation game or two, and concluded the evening with "Being John Malkovich" - watched on his laptop since I didn't have a DVD player at the time. By the time the movie was over, it was late enough at night that I offered to put him up for the evening despite no prior family arrangements (his parents liked to be kept more or less in the know as they were still getting used to this whole "our children are all adults now" thing, and he was trying to at least keep them from regularly freaking out). We figured the next morning we'd wake up and he'd just drive down then and nobody would be the wiser.

We got busted sometime after 10am when my grandmother and sister charged into the basement, saying something about how "the towers just collapsed." We'd just been woken up, and so I had no idea what they were talking about - so I turned to my laptop and tried to bring up CNN. The site was almost unresponsive, and in recognition of the amount of traffic they'd be getting CNN had reduced their landing page to just a headline... and a picture of Manhattan. And that's kind of when it hit home.

We went over next door to my grandparents' house and there watched news reports, but were otherwise kind of dazed. I kept in touch with some other friends via IRC; at one point one of the regulars there (a guy from Northern Ireland who'd had problems with The Troubles there - BFC, you might remember who I'm referring to) started on an extended rant about the media coverage ("how dare they keep showing these shots over and over" and "how long will they go on about this?" and the like) and eventually I had to tell him "hon, this really is not the time."

I remember at one point asking my grandmother "if Pearl Harbor was anything like this", and she just nodded. I remember being extremely worried about a few friends who worked in the New York and DC areas, even though they were never anywhere near the crash sites. The rest of the day is something of a confused daze - I remember that Dan was eventually encouraged to drive back down to Cincy on the theory that Family Togetherness During Bad Times Is Good, but other than that, we all just kind of sat around and wondered What Next.

Blargh. :(

I Will Son 09-11-2010 04:06 PM

I was walking to my 4th grade class and I heard some kid say " 1 of the Twin Towers was on FIRE! " Then I got to my class room and my teacher had the TV on and I then found out it was a plane. O I will never forget that day.

glenngineer 09-11-2010 04:11 PM

I was in bed when my roommate knocked on my door and said you need to turn on the TV. Right as I did the second plane hit the WTC.

MarkMM 09-11-2010 04:16 PM

It was my first day at university, the day I started political science and international relations. I woke up to a lot of screaming "Turn on the TV! Oh my God!" and saw the first burning building. Never having been to NY, I actually didn't know the significance of that building.

I thought it was a fire until all of a sudden a second plane slams into the building. Eventually I decided to go to school, and on the way up the mountain (my alma mater, Simon Fraser University, is on a mountain-top overlooking Vancouver, Canada) I saw flags being lowered to half-staff.

Everywhere I walked, TV's were jerry-rigged in the hallways, people huddled in clusters watching, some crying.

To me, it became clear what it was when word got out, "The Pentagon's been hit". And then rumours of the White House being evacuated, various planes being rumoured to be hijacked.

My professor, who couldn't be more left-wing if he tried, I'll never forget when he was asked what he thought of the current Bush Administration's response to this. Knowing he wasn't a fan of George W., it underscored how this had gone beyond politics when he quietly said, "Colin Powell, Dick Cheney, Donald Rumsfeld...whether you like them or not, they are all experienced men who've been in crises before. For our neighbors, that's what we need to count on".

Towards the end of the day, and the days afterwards, what made it sink in to me that this wasn't just an "event", but rather a change in history was when you could see and hear Canadian fighter jets patroling over the skies, and on the radio, you'd hear that the Canadian blood services were appealing to people to come in and donate blood, because "We don't know how bad it's going to get, and the Americans might not have enough blood ready".

Joe T Choker 09-11-2010 04:17 PM

I was at home, getting ready to go to class (NSTI), when I heard my mom say "Oh My God", I ran upstairs to see what she was talking about ... I was in absolute utter shock at what I was seeing on the TV ... On a personal note, my dad's underwriters worked in one of the towers (they're one of the fortunate ones) ... 9 years later it still hits home ...

darth5 09-11-2010 08:41 PM

I was at work. One of the older guys there was running late and we had no idea why. He called from the parking lot outside-- he was listening to it on his radio and told us to turn one on. We were all in shock there. After a bit our boss came out and told us we could go home to be with our families as nobody could really focus on work...

Drake744 09-13-2010 02:30 PM

I haven't been on the boards in a few days so I thought I'd throw my 2 cents in.

It was my junior year of high school and I walked in to my Criminal Justice class a little before 8 central time. I noticed the room was dark and the TV seemed to be on which really was nothing new. Before class started occasionally we would just watch ESPN or MTV or whatever someone wanted to watch. Of course as I walked in and no one was really talking I was like what's going on? I sat down and saw what it was and you have to remember no one at first instinct feels like they're watching anything as huge as it would turn out to be. I thought it was a little tiny private plane at first and I made some kind of snarky comment about "who gave this guy his pilot license?" Yeah yeah seems awful at the time but it was my first glance and in no way thought it would turn out the way it did.

My teacher was an ex-Metro cop who was watching with special interest because of his background and he immediately knew the country was in trouble. He wasn't making it known but he made a few subtle comments as we watched the TV endlessly for that hour and a half. Because our classes were so long, we were in first period while both of the towers collapsed and it was a very odd thing to witness and feel. The students and teacher alike were just openly in disbelief and swearing in open view of others in a high school classroom and nobody cared because it was everyone's feelings. It was strange because as you get older you tend to look at 15-17 year olds and they seem so young and immature, but on that morning those same kids were almost growing up just by watching what was going on. No one said much of anything. No one wanted to go to classes and it was for an actual, life-changing reason. My last class that day was Geometry at about 1:35 and our teacher I guess had decided that we had long enough to watch TV and we had to do some stuff but no one really cared. The kids just wanted to watch TV and know what was going on. It was a really weird day to say the least. I also remember playing tennis with my friend after school to try and take my mind off all that stuff, but as you could imagine right when I got home there was no escape from it.