HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Toronto Maple Leafs (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Post Game Talk: Game #1 - Leafs vs Blackhawks (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=818147)

LeafOfBread 09-11-2010 08:10 PM

Game #1 - Leafs vs Blackhawks

Well, interesting game. Leafs win 6-3. Ross Olden McKegg D'Amigo Ryan and Gysbers with the goals.

Liked what I saw for the most part, though the game was a bit boring after the 1st period.

Rynnas was quite good minus playing the puck in the no-play zone and that Kyle Beach goal, showed some shades of Gustavsson tonight. Kadri was a bit disappointing.

Mueller stood out quite a bit, only 1 assist but he was hitting EVERYTHING, forechecking hard, playing well along the boards, creating lots of offense. Him and Irwin together created a good combo.

Holzer was ROCK ****ING SOLID, great positionally, shut down numerous Chicago forwards, rarely made any mistakes, and overall was great defensively. Also showed a bit of his passing skills here and there. Loved what I saw from this guy.

Our defense overall was great. Holzer Gysbers and Blacker stood out the most for me.

Offense was good too. Olden was great in the first period but somewhat slowed down after that. Kadri had his moments (but was kind of disappointing). You could tell he was frustrated with how he was playing and wanted to have his name on the scoresheet. Ross, McKegg both showed great hustle and went to the net. Jerry D'Amigo was great as well. And as said before, Mueller stood out quite a bit, guy was a ****ing beast all over the ice, can't wait to see more of him.

Patty Lee 09-11-2010 08:12 PM

wow. you gave a lot away. glad I'm not watching on taped delay.....

LeafOfBread 09-11-2010 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Around in 67 (Post 27739745)
wow. you gave a lot away. glad I'm not watching on taped delay.....

My post wasn't completed when I created the thread.

stakesishigh 09-11-2010 08:14 PM

I am very very glad after that game. I missed hockey so very much, had started watching crappy quality KHL games in the meantime.

TMLeafer 09-11-2010 08:17 PM

So glad hockey is back!

LeafOfBread 09-11-2010 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stakesishigh (Post 27739778)
I am very very glad after that game. I missed hockey so very much, had started watching crappy quality KHL games in the meantime.

Yeah, definitely filled my craving, temporarily.

Patty Lee 09-11-2010 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeafOfBread (Post 27739760)
My post wasn't completed when I created the thread.

clearly.

Hurt 09-11-2010 08:27 PM

And another one tomorrow? Whoo. Great game boys!

BIG BLUE 09-11-2010 08:29 PM

http://cdn3.sbnation.com/imported_as...8478/ey3dp.jpg

ULF_55 09-11-2010 08:29 PM

Olden looked good, and wasn't he the forward who passed back to the point on Ryan's goal in the 2nd.?

Machinae 09-11-2010 08:32 PM

That Crescenzi guy was great, he was hitting everything. What's his story?

John-Eric Iannicello 09-11-2010 08:34 PM

Sondre Olden is going to be a good one if this is how he plays most nights. For the youngest guy on the ice he made a lot of nice plays. Confident with the puck considering he's playing on NA ice.

Nasty Nazem 09-11-2010 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John-Eric Iannicello (Post 27740064)
Sondre Olden is going to be a good one if this is how he plays most nights. For the youngest guy on the ice he made a lot of nice plays. Confident with the puck considering he's playing on NA ice.

Seems like Stalberg with better hands doesn't he?

smitty10 09-11-2010 08:40 PM

Mueller looked very good out there today.

D'amigo was a bullet and had a lot of scoring opportunities.

Kadri was fairly disappointing. Looked like he was trying to do to much out there.

Olden was very good, but looked raw. I think it would be a good idea for him to come over to the CHL if he has the chance. It would be good for his development, but the SEL is good too.

Rynnas looked very good as well, but he is pretty raw and needs to get used to NA sized ice.

Ross, Ryan, McKegg, Holzer, Gysbers, Paris and Mitchell all looked good out there.

Smith and Irwin both looked very poor. There is really no hope for Smith at the NHL level IMO.

Coach Bombay 09-11-2010 08:43 PM

I really like Olden out there tonight, he seems like he will be a good one. Kegger was just everywhere tonight, his goal was just a beauty and he played well. I didnt mind Kadri at all, he seemed like he was trying to do too much at times but he also made some nice passes and had that big hit in the first. No real complaints except for that Baron Smith guy haha not a fan of him.

Overall great game by the buds

Lucbourdon 09-11-2010 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smitty10 (Post 27740120)
Mueller looked very good out there today.

D'amigo was a bullet and had a lot of scoring opportunities.

Kadri was fairly disappointing. Looked like he was trying to do to much out there.

Olden was very good, but looked raw. I think it would be a good idea for him to come over to the CHL if he has the chance. It would be good for his development, but the SEL is good too.

Rynnas looked very good as well, but he is pretty raw and needs to get used to NA sized ice.

Ross, Ryan, McKegg, Holzer, Gysbers, Paris and Mitchell all looked good out there.

Smith and Irwin both looked very poor. There is really no hope for Smith at the NHL level IMO.

Very good assessment, (only saw 1st two periods) but kadri has looked very disappointing, I expect him to dominate this tourney, he was average at best so far.

JMcLeaf 09-11-2010 08:49 PM

Olden and Rynnas were the 2 most impressive for me

JMcLeaf 09-11-2010 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucbourdon (Post 27740182)
Very good assessment, (only saw 1st two periods) but kadri has looked very disappointing, I expect him to dominate this tourney, he was average at best so far.

I was at the game and I honestly didnt think he was that bad. You could tell he was very determined to score and came close multiple times. He also threw his body around and talked some smack. I was impressed but I always am impressed by him since im a Knights fan.

Lucbourdon 09-11-2010 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMcLeaf (Post 27740242)
I was at the game and I honestly didnt think he was that bad. You could tell he was very determined to score and came close multiple times. He also threw his body around and talked some smack. I was impressed but I always am impressed by him since im a Knights fan.

He had a fantastic 1st period, awful 2nd period, and solid third period (so far).

LeafOfBread 09-11-2010 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMcLeaf (Post 27740242)

He was alright, but those that said he tried to do too much at times are correct. He had some "puck-hog" moments tonight.

And yes, Olden was very good, very impressed with this kid.

Paris is also another one that's a bit of a dark horse but played pretty well.

BlackSuit 09-11-2010 08:56 PM

Jussi Rynnas - The New 'Monster' ?

Jussi Rynnas' play, in the first game in North America was very well (other than the Delay of Game penalty, which can be understood). He played very well with only 3 Goals allowed against and a couple of flashy saves. Does he seem to be the next 'monster' for the Leafs to be right behind Jonas Gustavsson? is he capable of surpassing him?
comments?

LeafOfBread 09-11-2010 08:58 PM

He was decent tonight, but let's not get ahead of ourselves. He's still quite raw and has work to do with rebounds and of course playing the puck lol. That 2nd goal by Beach was also quite weak. Other than that he was pretty steady, not outstanding or anything but steady, and obviously way better than that Alex Richards guy who played for Chicago.

Gutchecktime 09-11-2010 09:03 PM

I think it's going to be nice to have three legitimate NHL goaltending prospects who won't feel the pressure of the "The Future of Goaltending for the Leafs" label on them alone. Having Rynnas, Scrivens, Reimer and ahead of them Gustavsson and Giggy allows us to be really patient and keep the pressure down.

John-Eric Iannicello 09-11-2010 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucbourdon (Post 27740182)

I wouldn't look too much into it. He was poor last year too IMO but then played a whole different game with the Maple Leafs and was one of the best forwards in the preseason. He's playing the same type of 'one man show' so far in the tournament.

For those saying how poor Smith was.. He was a whole lot better then he was last year so that just says how bad he was last year lol

Holzer started the game shakey but settled down. Holzer, Blacker, Gysbers were the only D who played well in my eyes. Paris was meh - expected more from a player whp played pro. Jackson handled the puck like a grenade. Smith did a good job in his own zone but unfortunately is lost in the transition game - his skating has gotten better but still not good enough.

Mitchell didn't belong on a line with Kadri and D'Amigo he was a step behind them mentally. He did a good job grinding but that was about it. Ross was ok but seemed hesistant to get involved physically after the first period. Irwin was great on the draw and downlow but will be a marlie, his skating is a bit awkward. Mueller was a horse, he has great poise and was physically dominating. Carrick I liked his game he was shifty and got his nose dirty. McKegg for me faded out throughout the game - great first half though. Creszenzi? I think his name was - hit like a truck although skating needs work but great physical game for his age. Ryan was the Ryan I watch in Windsor - just a hard worker who digs in the corners, was happy to see him score.

I thought Rynnas played great in his first NA game. When u can turn aside 30 pucks in a rookie tournament where u have a ton of players who have no chemsitry infront of you I think that's as good as you can expect.

Phew that was a lot to punch in on my blackberry lol back to Windsor I go!

BlackSuit 09-11-2010 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMcLeaf (Post 27740218)
Olden and Rynnas were the 2 most impressive for me

i agree with you 100% there. However Rynnas impressed me more than Olden, Rynnas showed some major flash in some of his saves, but like the commentators said, his rebound control is a bit shaky. but i think he will finish that up as he gets accustomed to the pace of the game and the ice in NA.I certainly see parts of Gustavsson in him, as previous posts, said. But i might be very wrong, so dont kill me for this, but i think he has the chance to overtake Gustavsson in the future years, cuz after all he is bigger and heavier and i saw great flashes of 'pro' ness in him. as for skaters, i think i was expecting a LOT from Irwin, and Irwin dissapointed me. i LOVED Mueller however and i would put him up there with Olden, and Rynnas oh as well as McKegg !