HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   buying used equipment (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=819048)

TMLOBI 09-14-2010 10:23 PM

buying used equipment

I am wondering if I buy used hockey equipment what precautions should I take to make sure I don't get sick or anything from the used gear? I am getting a good deal (I think) on a few items for my 6 year old niece and the last thing I want is for her to get sick in anyway. I am buying a pair of skates, a helmet, elbow pads, shoulder pads, shin pads and a pair of gloves for under $60. I think this is a pretty decent deal as long as they are in good condition. The same items would retail for $300+ easily. So yeah how do I go about cleaning and making sure there is no bacteria or anything harmful left over.

Thanks

madmutter 09-14-2010 11:10 PM

I probably wouldn't worry about it much if it's only been worn by a 6 year old, they don't sweat much and it's the sweat that bacteria feed on. If it does stink at all or you just want to be sure you could get it ozone disinfected. It seems a lot of hockey shops are offering the service these days.

thefeebster 09-14-2010 11:27 PM

I tend to buy used goods because the deal just can't be beat most of the time at the LHS. So the main thing i do when i purchase them is use the Antibacterial Febreeze spray. I've used it on everything and it smells good.

I've even used it on my gloves - ranging from nash to MSH2 and so far there have been no ill effects.

If it smells really bad, i'd just wash it.

OlderTimer* 09-15-2010 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMLOBI (Post 27782410)
I am wondering if I buy used hockey equipment what precautions should I take to make sure I don't get sick or anything from the used gear? I am getting a good deal (I think) on a few items for my 6 year old niece and the last thing I want is for her to get sick in anyway. I am buying a pair of skates, a helmet, elbow pads, shoulder pads, shin pads and a pair of gloves for under $60. I think this is a pretty decent deal as long as they are in good condition. The same items would retail for $300+ easily. So yeah how do I go about cleaning and making sure there is no bacteria or anything harmful left over.

Thanks

Any thing used is OK...But I have always stressed this to every parent who I have ever come in contact with...never ever buy used skates.. would my size 8 shoe be comfortable for you after I have walked in them for a year even though we are different heights...different weights and different walking styles even though we are the same size feet??? You don't have to buy the most expensive skates because they are pretty cheap for kids...$30-$40 bucks should do it. If the kid who wore those skates before you Niece skated on his ankles and that is why they gave up hockey do you want your niece to do the same???....If you are going to buy USED SKATES...make sure that they can be heat treated with a BLOW DRYER AND BE REMOLDED!!! But just like shoes...buy new and let her mold her own feet!

I can't stress this enough...Just to let you know...my last pair of hockey skates I bought for my son while he was playing midget hockey....$550. + tax....Mission Flys..but because they can be remolded he never has to buy another pair of skates....even tho he only plays in the beer leauges today! Hope this helps Bro.

OlderTimer* 09-15-2010 12:44 AM

since I can't edit my posts for some reason...I forgot to mention...don't buy into the aluminium stick...buy her a wood stick...a straight stick till she figures out what her strenght is ..right or left...and then...keep buying her wood sticks...they are cheaper and last LONGER...and it's NOT the stick who makes the player...I'ts the player who makes the stick work!!! At my son's games parents were buying $300 sticks for thier kids thinking they would be NHLers...well I remeber one game where the ref pick-up a broken stick and brought it to the penalty box...this really blew me away...the ref said to the score keeper...here is a $150 for half the stick...here is the other $150 for the other half!
that was totally insane...Hope this helps....hope to see your niece on the Canada's Olympic team....I'll be cheering for her....good luck bro!

Jarick 09-15-2010 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TMLOBI (Post 27782410)

Thanks

First off, awesome that you are getting your niece into hockey! I can't wait until my son is old enough to get into skates :)

For kids, there are a few KEY pieces of gear that you shouldn't skimp on:

Skates - absolutely #1, without good skates, a kid won't have balance. Most skates are made pretty well nowadays, and little kids won't have to worry about stiffness and durability so much, but just make sure the fit is very tight on the heel and ankle while being comfortable up near the toes. And make sure the boot isn't too worn down and the steel is straight and can hold an edge. Used skates are fine, but do not buy them big!

Helmet - #2 most important because little kids fall a lot and heads cannot be replaced! Honestly anything that fits well and doesn't slide around and is comfortable would be fine. Unless she's particularly tall or athletic, she probably won't be falling with enough impact to require a fancy $150 helmet. And get a good silver cage, black bars are awful! Don't forget the mouthguard (the kind that ties to the cage). I would tend to buy new helmets unless the used one is in pristine shape.

Elbow pads - #3 most important because little kids fall a lot onto their elbows, and you don't want them getting all bruised up. Don't have to spend much money at all, just some elbow pads that don't slide around, stay on tight, and have a sturdy design with some padding on the inside. Avoid the flimsy foam ones. Clean used elbow pads are fine.

Pants - #4 because when you fall on your butt you want padding! You want lots of padding around the hip and tailbone...if she falls and hurts herself, she won't want to play anymore...don't skimp! Used pants are a bargain IMO, if they are in decent shape and clean.

Shin pads - grab whatever cheap shin pads you want that don't slide around, not too crucial at this age. Used are fine.

Gloves - again, at this age cheap gloves that fit and are comfortable are fine. I would buy new because gloves are disgusting used.

Shoulder pads - cheap shoulder pads that fit and are comfortable are fine and you can go used.

Stick - stick with a good quality wooden stick made for kids. The flatter the blade, the better, try to find one without a curve on it. If the youth models come up to her chin or higher that's the one to get...if the youth models are shorter than her chin, find a shorter junior stick...but I'd imagine youth would suit her just fine.

TMLOBI 09-15-2010 12:36 PM

Thank you for the replies. As for the skates I think a used pair for a 6 year old on her first year of hockey isn't that bad. Seeing how I'm not to sure how much she'll enjoy herself anyhow (she did seem excited though). And there was no way I was buying a composite stick lol. $10 for a kids straight edge is the deal I'll go with at Canadian Tire.

Jarick thanks for your breakdown of the most important hockey equipment but you failed to mention a jock :O lol. Then I researched jocks for girls and was directed to jill shorts which I never knew existed.

I hope she has fun with hockey and next year when she outgrows this equipment I can get her some better stuff.

Thanks again and I'll use febreez or lysol to disinfect the gear.