HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Ottawa Senators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread pt. II (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=819999)

Wham City 09-17-2010 10:08 PM

The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread pt. II

Thought I'd restart this sucker to coincide with hockey getting underway again. What's the team1200 doing you like, dislike, abhor, etc. If you're not listening to the team1200, what podcasts or other shows would you recommend?

Just generally I appreciate the team1200 being conscientious about posting all the interviews they do, a vast improvement over past practices.

Also does this graphic perfectly encapsulate everything that is creepy, lazy, and lowest common denominator about TGOR?

http://team1200.com/images/ads/banne...09-banner1.jpg

Discuss.

SenatorsFan 09-17-2010 10:47 PM

I've grown tired of listening to sports talk radio because attempting to rationalize through fallacious and contradictory thinking is often tedious. This isn't specific to the Team1200, just in general, a lot of the hosts tend to sound like failed journalism students who insist on devoting the majority of the air time with mundane facts surrounding their lives.

That being said, I do tend to indulge once in a while and tune in. :D

Overall the station is run fairly well, considering Ottawa is a smaller market. TGOR is pretty juvenile, I agree, but who wants to analyze the intricacies of the Sens penalty kill at 6:30 in the morning anyway, seriously?

I like how they keep Jim Rome on at noon, although I don't listen to it so I don't know why that even matters to me.

The Jason York show is fairly entertaining, when he talks about his playing days it's nice.

The Fox shows they play at night are hit or miss depending on the day of the week. A couple of the hosts are really savvy and witty and carry a great show, while some of the others come across as inbred, loudmouth, bigot hicks. But they're cool too I guess.

Stylizer1 09-17-2010 11:32 PM

I thought the Healthy Scratches was better this summer than it usually is in general. Having 3 guys discuss sports is alot more interesting than 2. I find they don't have enough to say and resort to spending half the time filling it with personal stories/opinions. I would love to know how many people who work there came straight out of community college?

Stylizer1 09-17-2010 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krazy_Eyez (Post 27823350)
Thought I'd restart this sucker to coincide with hockey getting underway again. What's the team1200 doing you like, dislike, abhor, etc. If you're not listening to the team1200, what podcasts or other shows would you recommend?

Just generally I appreciate the team1200 being conscientious about posting all the interviews they do, a vast improvement over past practices.

Also does this graphic perfectly encapsulate everything that is creepy, lazy, and lowest common denominator about TGOR?

http://team1200.com/images/ads/banne...09-banner1.jpg

Discuss.

I swear you work for them.

jordan7hm 09-17-2010 11:57 PM

I love that AJ is back.

I hate that they brought their own programming in instead of Dan Patrick.

Tony Bruno is awesome.

PoutineSp00nZ 09-17-2010 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stylizer1 (Post 27824062)
I thought the Healthy Scratches was better this summer than it usually is in general. Having 3 guys discuss sports is alot more interesting than 2. I find they don't have enough to say and resort to spending half the time filling it with personal stories/opinions. I would love to know how many people who work there came straight out of community college?

Jungle Jim sucks . . . JR doesn't know what he's doing . .. nobody talks about sports enough . . . Jason York sucks .. . algonquin's radio program = fail . . . chum is paying the wrong people to run the radio station . . .

hmmm does that about cover it??? :shakehead

Stylizer1 09-18-2010 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poutineplato (Post 27824224)
Jungle Jim sucks . . . JR doesn't know what he's doing . .. nobody talks about sports enough . . . Jason York sucks .. . algonquin's radio program = fail . . . chum is paying the wrong people to run the radio station . . .

hmmm does that about cover it??? :shakehead

Sorry but the station has gotten better since J.R. took over. There are still many problems but at least they are trying. I still hate TGOR pretty much but they have changed some.

PoutineSp00nZ 09-18-2010 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stylizer1 (Post 27824296)
Sorry but the station has gotten better since J.R. took over. There are still many problems but at least they are trying. I still hate TGOR pretty much but they have changed some.

Wow u said something positive? holy ****!

FanDesSenateurs 09-18-2010 03:26 AM

Tgor is a joke i hate listening to it on my way to work so
I have to turn on the team 990 in the the morning even tho It sounds like **** . All Tgor talks about is dumb **** like boobs shows on tv , personal stories no one cares about they have no good takes on actual sports anyone who barely knows anything about sports could run that morning show the only thing that I can listen to is the healthy scratches other than that tgor is a joke i really wish they where took off the air
Jim is a ****** who knows nothing about sports jr has noting interesting to say and steve's sports takes are terrible (whenever they actually talk about sports )

Sports radio my ass !!!!

kyle747 09-18-2010 05:54 AM

I like the round-table discussions before games, I'm just sorry they sometimes have Garrioch on them.

I don't like the piped Fox or Rome stuff, and I don't like the boob on the morning show.

I guess I mean I like some tings and don't like others :laugh:

sens4life 09-18-2010 07:59 AM

why did the thread have to be restarted?

Stylizer1 09-18-2010 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poutineplato (Post 27824320)
Wow u said something positive? holy ****!

You remind me of an old cranky person who waves their fist around and mumbles.:laugh:

Quote:

Originally Posted by FanDesSenateurs (Post 27824945)
Tgor is a joke i hate listening to it on my way to work so
I have to turn on the team 990 in the the morning even tho It sounds like **** . All Tgor talks about is dumb **** like boobs shows on tv , personal stories no one cares about they have no good takes on actual sports anyone who barely knows anything about sports could run that morning show the only thing that I can listen to is the healthy scratches other than that tgor is a joke i really wish they where took off the air
Jim is a ****** who knows nothing about sports jr has noting interesting to say and steve's sports takes are terrible (whenever they actually talk about sports )

Sports radio my ass !!!!

J.R. is probably the best voice for sports on Ottawa radio. He is just stuck doing the morning show. Back in the OSR 1200 days he did monday to friday by himself and he was really good.

I think they have too much fun doing the show and don't realize that it is easy to turn the channel. Everyone is basically doing the same format. They read the same email's from the same guys everyday giving their ego's a boost.

They think that they are wild and crazy but they are not.

FanDesSenateurs 04-28-2011 08:34 PM

why is tgor still on the air ????

Chezzz 04-29-2011 08:46 AM

Why is the Team 1200 still on the air??

I love the "NHL Power Hour". It really makes me laugh everytime they promote it. All they do is talk about the NHL, so why promote one hour that they devote to the NHL, when the whole show is hockey talk. The occasional mention of football, but more about Yorkie's fantasy team.

TGOR is horrible. The most overdone contest in the history of radio. Where the contestants are absolute morons. There was a time when the contest was challenging, and the prizes were great. Now all we get from JR is a category taken straight from the Ottawa Sun "this day in history", and then we get Jim's "I am making these up as I go" questions.

And....just so the people at the Team know, the Gatineau Olympiques are in the QMJHL semi-finals. You would think they would take about this every once in awhile.

Spire2000 04-29-2011 02:35 PM

I would be absolutely shocked if Team 1200 isn't rebranded "TSN Radio 1200" for the start of the new NHL season. TSN Radio has been a huge hit in TO so far and both stations are owned by Bell Media.

If that happens, I'd expect some change to the Ottawa station. A network late-morning show (perhaps an Ottawa host and a Toronto host) and a network evening show (out of TO) are clear winners. I would expect Healthy Scrathes and Jim Rome remain, but the real question is TGOR. No doubt the local station sticks with local programming for the morning drive, but what configuration?

otown 04-29-2011 08:46 PM

TGOR needs a massive overhaul. The locker room banter has run its course.

TGOR needs more guest spots, sports panels, credible insight and above all ....less Jungle Jim!

The best programming on TEAM 1200 is the Healthy Scratches- Steve LLoyd and Jason York do an admirable job. Love the "power hour".

JR- do the right thing and give the listeners what they want....quality sports radio!!!

Stylizer1 04-30-2011 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spire2000 (Post 32771638)
I would be absolutely shocked if Team 1200 isn't rebranded "TSN Radio 1200" for the start of the new NHL season. TSN Radio has been a huge hit in TO so far and both stations are owned by Bell Media.

If that happens, I'd expect some change to the Ottawa station. A network late-morning show (perhaps an Ottawa host and a Toronto host) and a network evening show (out of TO) are clear winners. I would expect Healthy Scrathes and Jim Rome remain, but the real question is TGOR. No doubt the local station sticks with local programming for the morning drive, but what configuration?

A network late morning show would mean "ALL Toronto Sports Radio show" like they tried 10 years ago and failed miserably. I want the team to all Ottawa, just with knowledgeable sports journalists and not just guys fresh out of Algonquin or journey men 4th line NHL players.

Spire2000 05-12-2011 09:34 AM

Interesting to note that TSN has registered TSNRadio1200.com

Also, there is an as yet unused @TSNRadio1200 Twitter also.

Writing is on the wall...

Tape2Tape 05-12-2011 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by otown (Post 32777721)
TGOR needs a massive overhaul. The locker room banter has run its course.

TGOR needs more guest spots, sports panels, credible insight and above all ....less Jungle Jim!

The best programming on TEAM 1200 is the Healthy Scratches- Steve LLoyd and Jason York do an admirable job. Love the "power hour".

JR- do the right thing and give the listeners what they want....quality sports radio!!!

I think this best sums up my feelings as well. I basically have The Team on from 7:30-5:30/6pm every day...

TGOR - has its moments, but I want more sports talk. I do enjoy listening to Pierre every morning.

SportsCall - meh... the subject matter is usually good, but Lee and Phil are kind of boring.

Jim Rome - I don't give a crap about his show, and would be fine if it was off Team1200. Its 3 hours of background noise for me.

Healthy Scratches - by far the highlight of the day, and the Power Hour is great radio, I love it. Lloyd and York are fantastic and I hope when this station inevitably does become TSN radio, there is a place for the Scratches.

TheWeb 05-12-2011 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tape2Tape (Post 32998360)
Healthy Scratches - by far the highlight of the day, and the Power Hour is great radio, I love it. Lloyd and York are fantastic and I hope when this station inevitably does become TSN radio, there is a place for the Scratches.

Agree that the Power Hour is good, and I also find the Scratches do some good interviews.

But when it's just Lloyd and York discussing something, I find it kind of dull... their opinions aren't strong / interesting enough, and they basically just don't have an edge. Think about how often Lloyd says something and then softens it by adding "I'm just sayin'..."

Really good sports radio is about the host(s) putting forth a controversial opinion and defending it with an intelligent argument.

Cowen Time 05-12-2011 01:39 PM

Quote:

a lot of the hosts tend to sound like failed journalism students
... hmmm, like Sportscall. Bad, bad show, and complete amateur hour stuff.

TGOR is what it is, I tune in for about 40 minutes and download Pierre's segment later in the day - there are so many earnest sports shows I don't mind a bit of goofing around, with Steve as the anchor. Jason York has really evolved since he started and is great to listen to.

Sportscall is in a great time slot but I can't stand listening to them - maybe if one was paired with someone else but together it's extreme negative synergy and painful listening. All I think is the numbers must be low for the station during that time and this is the cheapest fill in they can get.

Marvelous Manked 05-12-2011 02:13 PM

TGOR Breakdown:

36% Talk about sex, etc
30% Annoying Jungle Jim Comments
24% Miscellaneous Chatter
14% Talk about Hockey
4% Talk about Other Sports
2% Interesting debates

Can someone remind me of what the debate was this morning?

Jim compared something ludicrous to same sex marriages or something. It was a facepalm moment.

It's not good when a sports show host doesn't remember the cup winning team from a couple years ago.

Senasnore 05-12-2011 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manked (Post 33003222)
TGOR Breakdown:

36% Talk about sex, etc
30% Annoying Jungle Jim Comments
24% Miscellaneous Chatter
14% Talk about Hockey
4% Talk about Other Sports
2% Interesting debates

Can someone remind me of what the debate was this morning?

Jim compared something ludicrous to same sex marriages or something. It was a facepalm moment.

It's not good when a sports show host doesn't remember the cup winning team from a couple years ago.

TGOR = 3 frustrated middle aged men, does not make for great radio...they are neither interesting or funny...i used to tune in...not again till they are gone....and if I hear Yorkie and Lloyd talk about sweaters, chum, concussions or the Coyotes court situation and the endless monetary problems of franchises - I AM GOING TO SCREAM...give us some real sports talk about players, games, etc. ENOUGH already.

Lenny the Lynx 05-12-2011 03:10 PM

I don't listen to anything on the Team except for Healthy Scratches, but I catch it most days. Its really come along over the last few years. I do agree its boring some days, but the power hour is pretty solid. Sometimes it gets boring but you have to expect that with a show that talks 90% about hockey, and does like 200 x 3 hour shows a year.

TGOR I've maybe listened to twice ever. It makes my blood boil.

And speaking of which - its pretty funny how annoying some of the commercials are when you hear them several times a day. Commercials often annoy me, but the ones on the team are pretty special.

Cowen Time 05-12-2011 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BumperStumper (Post 33004551)
And speaking of which - its pretty funny how annoying some of the commercials are when you hear them several times a day. Commercials often annoy me, but the ones on the team are pretty special.

LOL. Sports radio has awful commercials, though they were even worse a couple of years ago. Golburn Sanitation and the financial advisor guy auto channel changer for a couple of minutes if I was in a vehicle.

Seems like there are more commercials now though.