HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   News Article: Arthur Staple-Young core must step up for Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=820234)

RangerBoy 09-19-2010 06:11 AM

Arthur Staple-Young core must step up for Rangers

Staple writes the Rangers will improve as a team when their key young players take the next step and he is 100% correct.....

Quote:

Marc Staal, with a new five-year, $19.875-million contract, must step up to be the leader of the defense and shoulder some of the offensive load. Michael Del Zotto, fresh off an uneven but productive rookie season, must become the power-play quarterback and offensive spark-plug from the blue line.

Ryan McDonagh is a rookie the Rangers' front office wants to seize a spot on defense, ideally the one occupied by Wade Redden. Redden has come to camp re-earn a spot, but at 33, anything short of a miraculous turnaround and he will not be part of the Rangers.

Up front, the Rangers need veterans Marian Gaborik, Chris Drury and Vinny Prospal to either keep their form from a year ago or regain it, at least somewhat. But if the Rangers want to take a real step up the conference ladder, it's Ryan Callahan, Brandon Dubinsky and Artem Anisimov who have to show the most improvement. If Brandon Prust is the Rangers' most effective forward, as he was down the stretch last season, they won't be in the playoff mix.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/column...gers-1.2300878

Torts said(last week on MSG with Pidto and Maloney)Staal finally got/understood what he wanted from him by the 2nd half of last season.

MDZ trained with Gary Roberts this summer with Stamkos,Neal and a few other NHLers.

Look at the Hawks,Keith and Seabrook. Sure they drafted Toews and Kane. The two D are just as valuable to that team.

Rangers need Staal and MDZ to become their Seabrook and Keith.

Staal signed a 5 year deal. Girardi signed a 4 year deal. 2 more ELC years for MDZ. 3 ELC years for McD. Rozsival has two more seasons on his contract with $7 million combined($4 million and $3 million).Rangers have paid off 65% of the 4 years/$20 million contract. After this season,just 15% is left in real money.

Redden's 6 years/$39 million was signed two years ago. If you look at the group III market the past 2 seasons,the prices for group III D have dropped. Jay Bouwmeester got $6.8 million per which is the only D who has gotten Redden type dollars. Martin is the only D to get $5 million per. Even at less than $5 million per,there are many bad deals signed but Redden's deal is insane. The Rangers can't afford to carry his cap hit. 3rd pair D. Waivers begin next Saturday(9/25). The Rangers need to look at other players. Place him on waivers and move on.

Drury needs more time on the PP. If he reaches his offensive production from his first two seasons as a Rangers,Drury will be fine.

Staple didn't mention Frolov. 19 goals on the 3rd line last season. He pops 30 goals/60-70 points this season with Gaborik,more money for him this summer from some NHL team.

Callahan,Dubinsky and AA are in contract years. Callahan and Dubinsky are arb eligible. They are looking at $3-$4 million per if they improve their offensive numbers. AA is looking at close to $2 million per. 28 points last season. He jumps up to 40 points. Dubinsky(this contract)/Hanzal money.

Stepan could make an impact at some point this season. Maybe even for the entire season. Lets see what happens in the next 3 weeks. The Rangers lack a #1 center but they do have two good quality kids in AA and Stepan.

The Rangers haven't had so many good young players since the early 1990's. They had Leetch and Richter. Kovalev,Zubov,Amonte,Weight,Rice and DeBrusk were in the system. The latter two were sent to Edmonton for Messier. Graves was signed a group I FA.

GWOW 09-19-2010 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RangerBoy (Post 27835782)
Staple writes the Rangers will improve as a team when their key young players take the next step and he is 100% correct.....

http://www.newsday.com/sports/column...gers-1.2300878

Torts said(last week on MSG with Pidto and Maloney)Staal finally got/understood what he wanted from him by the 2nd half of last season.

MDZ trained with Gary Roberts this summer with Stamkos,Neal and a few other NHLers.

Look at the Hawks,Keith and Seabrook. Sure they drafted Toews and Kane. The two D are just as valuable to that team.

Rangers need Staal and MDZ to become their Seabrook and Keith.

Staal signed a 5 year deal. Girardi signed a 4 year deal. 2 more ELC years for MDZ. 3 ELC years for McD. Rozsival has two more seasons on his contract with $7 million combined($4 million and $3 million).Rangers have paid off 65% of the 4 years/$20 million contract. After this season,just 15% is left in real money.

Redden's 6 years/$39 million was signed two years ago. If you look at the group III market the past 2 seasons,the prices for group III D have dropped. Jay Bouwmeester got $6.8 million per which is the only D who has gotten Redden type dollars. Martin is the only D to get $5 million per. Even at less than $5 million per,there are many bad deals signed but Redden's deal is insane. The Rangers can't afford to carry his cap hit. 3rd pair D. Waivers begin next Saturday(9/25). The Rangers need to look at other players. Place him on waivers and move on.

Drury needs more time on the PP. If he reaches his offensive production from his first two seasons as a Rangers,Drury will be fine.

Staple didn't mention Frolov. 19 goals on the 3rd line last season. He pops 30 goals/60-70 points this season with Gaborik,more money for him this summer from some NHL team.

Callahan,Dubinsky and AA are in contract years. Callahan and Dubinsky are arb eligible. They are looking at $3-$4 million per if they improve their offensive numbers. AA is looking at close to $2 million per. 28 points last season. He jumps up to 40 points. Dubinsky(this contract)/Hanzal money.

Stepan could make an impact at some point this season. Maybe even for the entire season. Lets see what happens in the next 3 weeks. The Rangers lack a #1 center but they do have two good quality kids in AA and Stepan.

The Rangers haven't had so many good young players since the early 1990's. They had Leetch and Richter. Kovalev,Zubov,Amonte,Weight,Rice and DeBrusk were in the system. The latter two were sent to Edmonton for Messier. Graves was signed a group I FA.

The difference is that both Neil Smith and Roger Neilson were willing to play kids no matter their experience. I'm hoping that Torts and Sather give these kids a longer look.

Leetch under Bergeron, Weight, Rice and Amonte in the 1991 playoffs, and Kovalev and Zubov in 1992 -- all those guys either barely played in the AHL or skipped the minors altogether.

People forget 1989 and 1990. The Rangers played nothing but kids. Granato and Leetch took the city by storm in 1989. The Rangers won their first division in 50 years in 1990, and half the roster were kids out of college or junior with no more than one year (if that) of AHL or IHL experience.

Mallette, Janssens, Turcotte, Kevin Miller, Leetch, Broten, Granato (who was traded for Nicholls) -- all those kids played big minutes for those early 90's teams. Rice's stock skyrocketed after the few games he played in the 1991 playoffs.

Amonte went from straight from the NCAA tourney to Washington for the playoffs. Literally. He went from the triple-OT title game to DC in a matter of days. No AHL. No 4th line minutes. He was 20 years old and was already playing on the 2nd power play unit. I say we do the same with Kreider.

Del Zotto helped carry the offense in the beginning of the season. Anisimov was the team's best center for the last month. That made me happy, because it shows how certain kids can handle the pressure.

Like I have said for the last 10 years -- if we are going to suck, be boring and mediocre, I'd much rather do it with kids than with a 62-yea-old Marcel Dionne or Pat Lafointaine nearing AARP status. It will benefit the team ten-fold in the long run.

eco's bones 09-19-2010 07:59 AM

According to Leslie Stepan is going to get a look early on between Gaborik and Frolov. Whether he's ready for the NHL is another thing but he is probably the best puck distributor in the whole organization so it does make sense.

In any case IMO Staal is every bit as good as Seabrook if not better. MDZ has a ways to go before he equals Keith. Still he is very young and talented and it seems determined to get better.

I can see Anisimov and Dubinsky improving on their numbers but Tortorella's going to have to rely on them more--especially Anisimov. Callahan I think has pretty much gotten to where he's going. A 35-40 point heart and soul guy who is excellent defensively.

These are the rookies that I see who have the best chance of making an impact this year.

Ryan McDonagh
Mats Zuccarello Aasen
Derek Stepan

Apart from those three I think Grachev and Weise both have decent shots at making the team.

BroadwayBlues 09-19-2010 10:04 AM

I was hoping Grachev would be on a line with Stepan.:(

I think Grachev needs a playmaking Center if the Rangers are looking for goals from him.
Gaborik doesn't NEED that type of Center. Sure it would be nice to have but you can get away with a lesser Center between Gaborik and Frolov imo. I would see how Anisimov or Dubinsky work there.

Put Grachev with Stepan.

SupersonicMonkey* 09-19-2010 10:54 AM

My wild card to make the team is Ethan Werek as 4th line center. Eventually moving up to 3rd line center or higher next year.

His competition for that spot is Boyle, White, and Christensen.

In other words, his competition for that spot is not stiff. He is already a better player then any of them.

With his work ethic, grit, determination, face off skills, two way play, smarts, I can see him unexpectedly winning that spot.

SupersonicMonkey* 09-19-2010 10:56 AM

To take it further, with Dale Weise winning a spot on the lower lines.

Avery - Werek - Weise would be a pretty sick line.

Panfork 09-19-2010 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey (Post 27837198)
My wild card to make the team is Ethan Werek as 4th line center. Eventually moving up to 3rd line center or higher next year.

In other words, his competition for that spot is not stiff. He is already a better player then any of them.

With his work ethic, grit, determination, face off skills, two way play, smarts, I can see him unexpectedly winning that spot.

He hurt his ankle today in the scrimmage... I really hope it's nothing serious, but he wasn't able to walk and was brought to the dressing room. Would be a damn shame if he got injured and didn't get to play through camp. I agree with you on this, Werek is a good hardnosed player who's main issue was skating, and he's apparently improved in that department with his hard work. I could really see him making the team, even through the large number of players competing for a spot that he would take.

It sucks he's only 19, so he can't be assigned to the AHL and has to go back to juniors if he doesn't make the team. No call-ups for him until next year.

turcotte8 09-19-2010 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panfork (Post 27837286)
He hurt his ankle today in the scrimmage... I really hope it's nothing serious, but he wasn't able to walk and was brought to the dressing room. Would be a damn shame if he got injured and didn't get to play through camp. I agree with you on this, Werek is a good hardnosed player who's main issue was skating, and he's apparently improved in that department with his hard work. I could really see him making the team, even through the large number of players competing for a spot that he would take.

It sucks he's only 19, so he can't be assigned to the AHL and has to go back to juniors if he doesn't make the team. No call-ups for him until next year.

AGrossRecord

Ethan Werek out of trainer's room and on ice for #NYRangers practice.

Panfork 09-19-2010 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turcotte8 (Post 27837467)
AGrossRecord

Ethan Werek out of trainer's room and on ice for #NYRangers practice.

Oh, I missed that. Well, good news, I've liked what I've been hearing from him.

Blazephr 09-19-2010 11:35 AM

Quote:

Werek will be heading back to Juniors. No doubt about it. He's 19 years old, so he's unable to play in the AHL. He'll most likely turn pro next year and spend 1 - 2 years in Hartford.

NYR94 09-19-2010 12:01 PM

Good points in the original post about younger players taking the next step this year. The Rangers need to see improvement from all young players who will be playing their 2nd-5th NHL season this year. Especially the young centers like Dubinsky and Anisimov. It's not like their development has been stunted playing behind legit NHL scoring centers last year. There's no surefire top line center on this team blocking them.

SupersonicMonkey* 09-19-2010 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blazephr (Post 27837606)
Werek will be heading back to Juniors. No doubt about it. He's 19 years old, so he's unable to play in the AHL. He'll most likely turn pro next year and spend 1 - 2 years in Hartford.

What sucks, regarding what you said here, and as was pointed out in a post above, is that he isn't 20 years old yet.

He is ready for the pro game now. No doubt about it. He's physically and mentally mature as a player.

So Hartford isn't an option, which really does suck.

RangerBoy 09-20-2010 05:31 PM

Quote:

To that end, it was a nice surprise to see 20-year-old Derek Stepan skating between Marian Gaborik and Alex Frolov in the first camp scrimmage. Stepan did some good work at the Traverse City, Mich. prospect tourney, so kudos to Tortorella for seeing if the gregarious kid can handle some top-line work.

The Rangers want Stepan and Artem Anisimov to be their top two centers, and news today of Chris Drury's broken finger means that Stepan has an even better shot to earn a roster spot if Drury misses a month.

Apologies to Vinny Prospal -- who will do whatever's asked of him, and do it capably -- as well as Drury and Erik Christensen, but if the Rangers top two lines are Gaborik-Stepan-Frolov and Brandon Dubinsky-Anisimov-Ryan Callahan out of camp, they will endure some bumps but be in way better position to show some dynamic energy over the long run.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...chuk-1.2304016

Drury will not miss a month. A week of the regular season.

BroadwayBlues 09-20-2010 05:49 PM

Anyone know if Anisimov put any weight on?

Lion Hound 09-20-2010 05:56 PM

Quote:

I think he's he's going to shock a few also but making himself known. Originally I was thinking next year, but hey you never know.

Lion Hound 09-20-2010 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RangerBoy (Post 27856525)
http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...chuk-1.2304016

Drury will not miss a month. A week of the regular season.

Guess that answers the discussion of Dubi at Center or on the wall.

wolfgaze 09-20-2010 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lion Hound (Post 27856912)
Guess that answers the discussion of Dubi at Center or on the wall.

Immediately after our season ended there were quotes from Tortorella stating they liked Dubi at wing and would utilize him there the following season....

dccuse 09-20-2010 06:51 PM

To say they're young is almost not good enough to stress how fortunate we are to have players of that skill at that age. I'd say we're better positioned than the hawks defensively... and if mcdonagh can step up we might be right on despite the age gap.

Del Zotto - 1990 born
Duncan Keith - 1983 born - first breakout season (more than 40 points): 08-09. he was 25. The year before that he was +30 which can't be ignored but DZ had 37 points at 19. Will he hit 70 like keith? Eh but still he moves quick along the development curve.

Marc Staal - 1987
Brent Seabrook - 1985

Staal had 3 less points last year. He had half the +/- but the hawks won the cup which says a little about how the rest of the teams were configured, in comparison.

satrabyk 09-20-2010 07:07 PM

As ive mentioned before if it nice to speculate on young players and there ability but until we see them in a NHL game, there is no telling on there readiness.

BobMarleyNYR 09-20-2010 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Savvy Lee (Post 27836055)
The difference is that both Neil Smith and Roger Neilson were willing to play kids no matter their experience. I'm hoping that Torts and Sather give these kids a longer look.

Leetch under Bergeron, Weight, Rice and Amonte in the 1991 playoffs, and Kovalev and Zubov in 1992 -- all those guys either barely played in the AHL or skipped the minors altogether.

People forget 1989 and 1990. The Rangers played nothing but kids. Granato and Leetch took the city by storm in 1989. The Rangers won their first division in 50 years in 1990, and half the roster were kids out of college or junior with no more than one year (if that) of AHL or IHL experience.

Mallette, Janssens, Turcotte, Kevin Miller, Leetch, Broten, Granato (who was traded for Nicholls) -- all those kids played big minutes for those early 90's teams. Rice's stock skyrocketed after the few games he played in the 1991 playoffs.

Amonte went from straight from the NCAA tourney to Washington for the playoffs. Literally. He went from the triple-OT title game to DC in a matter of days. No AHL. No 4th line minutes. He was 20 years old and was already playing on the 2nd power play unit. I say we do the same with Kreider.

Del Zotto helped carry the offense in the beginning of the season. Anisimov was the team's best center for the last month. That made me happy, because it shows how certain kids can handle the pressure.

Like I have said for the last 10 years -- if we are going to suck, be boring and mediocre, I'd much rather do it with kids than with a 62-yea-old Marcel Dionne or Pat Lafointaine nearing AARP status. It will benefit the team ten-fold in the long run.

Good history lesson... goes back to a couple years before I really followed, but I remember all those guys.

Anyhow, I agree 100%... and Kreider could be like Cam Neely (- injuries).

chosen 09-20-2010 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues (Post 27856791)
Anyone know if Anisimov put any weight on?

Anyone know if he learned to skate with his head up?