HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Goalies and Glasses (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=820580)

pelts35.com 09-20-2010 11:44 AM

Goalies and Glasses

As my 4 1/2 year old son has started to skate it has gotten me back out on the ice and has me thinking about starting to play again.

My big issue is that I wear glasses and contacts really bug me to the point that I cannot wear them. Are there any goalies out there that have a similar issue? If so, did you get special glasses or goggles to wear under your mask and are there any masks that better fit glasses or goggles?

Thanks.

dpixel8 09-20-2010 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pelts35.com (Post 27850631)
As my 4 1/2 year old son has started to skate it has gotten me back out on the ice and has me thinking about starting to play again.

My big issue is that I wear glasses and contacts really bug me to the point that I cannot wear them. Are there any goalies out there that have a similar issue? If so, did you get special glasses or goggles to wear under your mask and are there any masks that better fit glasses or goggles?

Thanks.

How bad are your eyes? I wear glasses and I dont wear anything on the ice. Doesn't bother me at all. Though I don't have HORRIBLE vision either, so YMMV

pass the bisk 09-20-2010 02:55 PM

I wear contacts and they used to bother me until I switched brands. The ones I wear you honestly cannot even feel them while you're wearing them.

cptjeff 09-20-2010 02:55 PM

Have you tried different types of contacts? They make quite a few varieties these days, from the hard glass ones to soft plastic things that you pop in and leave in for a month. If you've only tried one variety, I would go see your optometrist for a few other options.

smozoma 09-20-2010 04:59 PM

I played goalie from grade 7 to 12 with glasses. I didn't find it was much of a problem, though sometimes I got a bit of sweat on the edge of them (but somehow never right in the middle, obscuring my vision).

You probably want taller glasses (modern ones tend to be only about an inch tall, so it might be hard to look down -- I played in oval glasses that were probably about 1.25 inches tall).

pelts35.com 09-20-2010 06:43 PM

I've tried a number of different kinds over the years and I've had issues with all of them. At this stage of my life I'm not open to trying new ones. I would consider Lasik, but won't be able to swing that given that I will need to get all new gear.

I have a pretty "flexible" pair of Nikes that I will try out with a mask and see how they work out.

Thanks for the responses.

bosshogg18 09-20-2010 07:05 PM

I am telling you, get lasik. Find a way to get it done.One of the best decisions I have ever made. I was like one of the above posters that could not stand contacts, so I would go out on the ice with nothing. As time went by, my vision just kept getting worse, and therefore my game started to suffer.
Also with glasses, you are going to run into issues of them fogging up much worse than any visor will. If you can't see the puck, how are you going to stop it?
Just my 2

Brodeur 09-20-2010 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pelts35.com (Post 27850631)

I used to prefer wearing my glasses over contacts simply because my vision seemed to be better despite it being the same prescription. I think it depends on the frame. My old pair was snug and stayed put. My new pair falls off the bridge of my nose quite easily and I constantly have to readjust them when the play got out of the zone.

The other annoying thing is if the lens gets wet and you don't have time during play to dry it off. Or if you run into a team with 'that guy' who unnecessarily sprays you in the face after you cover the puck.

pelts35.com 09-20-2010 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brodeur (Post 27857098)
I used to prefer wearing my glasses over contacts simply because my vision seemed to be better despite it being the same prescription. I think it depends on the frame. My old pair was snug and stayed put. My new pair falls off the bridge of my nose quite easily and I constantly have to readjust them when the play got out of the zone.

The other annoying thing is if the lens gets wet and you don't have time during play to dry it off. Or if you run into a team with 'that guy' who unnecessarily sprays you in the face after you cover the puck.

The pair that I am thinking about using are very snug (I use them for golf for that reason), but good call on "that guy" as that's something I didn't think about.

As for Lasik, I've been saying for years that I will get it done, but, in the end, I'm concerned about being that one in a couple hundred people that regret getting it done (dry eyes, bad night vision, etc).

WhooFleuryScores 09-25-2010 03:47 AM

I played hockey both before when I wore glasses (with a visor of course) and then after I got lasik. I mean there's always that chance u end up in that 2%, but we're all just as likely to get hit by a bus tom, or get oral herpes from a girl.

GoalieEd 09-28-2010 02:57 PM

I'm in the same boat as the OP. I won't do lasic as if there was a complication my career and family would be in jeopardy. I'm also blind as a bat without them so I need something. I do have fogging problems in net and am seeking a solution as well.

I winder what football players do?

GoalieEd 09-28-2010 03:08 PM

I just got off the phone with my independent eyeglass place, and they recommended a prescription sport goggle with an elastic band. They said they use them for the football players in town under their helmets. They don't have any ice hockey experience though. Anyone ever use one?

robmneilson 09-28-2010 03:39 PM

When I was a teenager I used those goggles under my helmet. I played out so obviously the contours of the helmet are different, but it was REALLY uncomfortable for me to play with. They barely fit underneath and gave me headaches.

However I'd imagine in 15 or so years they have made some forward steps in sports goggle tech.

noobman 09-28-2010 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoalieEd (Post 27993734)
I just got off the phone with my independent eyeglass place, and they recommended a prescription sport goggle with an elastic band. They said they use them for the football players in town under their helmets. They don't have any ice hockey experience though. Anyone ever use one?

Th here's this one guy I knew who had yellow tinted sports goggles that he wore on the ice.

It looked a little goofy, but it probably worked a lot better than glasses.

I just wear my glasses, and as a forward they fog up on the bench after every damn shift.

fyrestorm 10-10-2010 04:18 PM

Pelts -
Like you, I just started playing goalie again last year after 37 years off the ice. I tried the contact lens route, but because of my astigmatism, the lenses kept shifting during the game making it near impossible at the worst possible moment to pick up the puck. I found some frames with lenses that are nearly round that fit comfortably inside my goalie helmet. I keep the glasses stationary by wearing a Croakies strap on them. As for the sweat and fogging issues, I made a sweatband out of that Chamwow material - works great at keeping the sweat off the lenses and out of my eyes, much better than the sweatbands provided with the helmet. I also went to a dive shop and purchased an anti-fog gel used for diving masks. The stuff i got is called Sea Gold, made by Monett. It has worked great for me; no more fogging, no more looking like I have Tourettes, trying to find a clear spot where I can see through the lenses!! You use just a small dollop of the gel on the inside and outside of the lenses, rub it in, and then rinse it off with water. Again, since I have gone this route, I haven't had any more issues with being able to play the full 60 without being able to see.
Hope this helps -
Fyrestorm

greyraven8 10-11-2010 01:48 PM

in a group i used to play with one goalie wore glasses. he just used an old pair of his glasses that were taped up - the bigger 80s style glasses. the type of "mask" he was wearing was a helmet cage combo - cooper i believe. he also wore a towel like headband under his helmet.

he didn't seem to have problems with his glasses fogging up.
not sure if his glass lenses were glass or plastic; if i see him again i'll ask.

pelts35.com 10-12-2010 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fyrestorm (Post 28225680)
Pelts -
Like you, I just started playing goalie again last year after 37 years off the ice. I tried the contact lens route, but because of my astigmatism, the lenses kept shifting during the game making it near impossible at the worst possible moment to pick up the puck. I found some frames with lenses that are nearly round that fit comfortably inside my goalie helmet. I keep the glasses stationary by wearing a Croakies strap on them. As for the sweat and fogging issues, I made a sweatband out of that Chamwow material - works great at keeping the sweat off the lenses and out of my eyes, much better than the sweatbands provided with the helmet. I also went to a dive shop and purchased an anti-fog gel used for diving masks. The stuff i got is called Sea Gold, made by Monett. It has worked great for me; no more fogging, no more looking like I have Tourettes, trying to find a clear spot where I can see through the lenses!! You use just a small dollop of the gel on the inside and outside of the lenses, rub it in, and then rinse it off with water. Again, since I have gone this route, I haven't had any more issues with being able to play the full 60 without being able to see.
Hope this helps -
Fyrestorm

Thanks for the reply.

I'm going to use this winter to get my skating back in check and if I think I can get back into it I'll start looking at buying some gear.

MetropolisPt31 10-12-2010 07:01 PM

I wore glasses in goal for about 8 years before finally switching to contacts earlier this year. The key benefit to wearing contacts is the improved peripheral vision.

The glasses I wore had thin wire frames, which helped prevent fogging up, and I also still wear an Underarmour skull cap to keep sweat from getting into my eyes.

You can barely notice my glasses:
http://i.imgur.com/EjVui.jpg