HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Speculation: Can Schultz win a spot with the Habs (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=820614)

Komarov47 09-20-2010 12:29 PM

Can Schultz win a spot with the Habs

So one of the guys who really impressed is Ian Schultz, he brings size and weight, which is obviously what the Habs lack of. What's your thought?

the vinyl version 09-20-2010 12:30 PM

Nope.
Needs work on fitness and skating.

Bullsmith 09-20-2010 12:31 PM

Sure he can, when he's farther along in his development. Not this year.

curtisl1982 09-20-2010 12:32 PM

I think he needs some 1 or 2 years in the AHL...get his fitness level better, then He'll be ready to play. But he looks good right now, I'd make him one of the last cuts to put him in as many preseason games as possible. Love to see what he could do against the Bruins on Wed (if he plays).

Carey Chant 09-20-2010 12:32 PM

He should play with the Bulldogs this season and get called up for a few games. Why rush him, Habs never have done well rushing rookies so let him gain some valuable experience ala Subban last year before bringing him up to the big club.

Komarov47 09-20-2010 12:34 PM

yeah let's give him some time with the Bulldogs. I didn't expected much of him, but obviously this guy came at the camp very hungry !

Aurel Joliat 09-20-2010 12:34 PM

Jacques Martin don't like physical player who can drop the gloves, sorry !

Komarov47 09-20-2010 12:35 PM

BTW where can we watch Habs-Bruins on TV wednesday?

JohnnyB11 09-20-2010 12:35 PM

Definitely no.

Not ready yet, and no need to rush him.

Komarov47 09-20-2010 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aurel Joliat (Post 27852132)

Not sure, Belak, Campbell, Boynton fighted alot when Martin was in Florida.

Jakomyte 09-20-2010 12:37 PM

I think the potential is there, but he'll follow in Ryan White's footsteps, meaning 2-3 years in the AHL before he has a shot to stick.

TomPlex 09-20-2010 12:38 PM

I love how there are always those on this board that jump on these players because of a few good days of practice and scrimmages. This is the primary reason why prospects fail in Montreal. We rush them in and then they get blamed for underperforming when they never got a true chance to develop. See: Pacioretty.

Komarov47 09-20-2010 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomPlex (Post 27852178)
I love how there are always those on this board that jump on these players because of a few good days of practice and scrimmages. This is the primary reason why prospects fail in Montreal. We rush them in and then they get blamed for underperforming when they never got a true chance to develop. See: Pacioretty.

It's just "speculation" man, we talk about the skill and possibility about Schultz, that's the what is about HF Board... well i guess, i'm not saying he will be a first line player, i'm just asking if he could see some ice time with the Habs.

Strik_IX 09-20-2010 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Big Bear (Post 27852136)
BTW where can we watch Habs-Bruins on TV wednesday?

It's on RDS @ 7:30 PM, if you meant watching it at a sportsbar, i have no clue.

Komarov47 09-20-2010 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strik_IX (Post 27852230)
It's on RDS @ 7:30 PM, if you meant watching it at a sportsbar, i have no clue.

No no only on tv ! Thanx mate

googlymoogly 09-20-2010 12:47 PM

I would say Ryan White is ahead of him.

Bieber fever 09-20-2010 12:52 PM

1 full year in hamilton with no call up
1 full year in hamilton with call up.
Then maybe have a spot on the team...

CareyClutch 09-20-2010 12:53 PM

Quick answer: Not this year.

ChoseLa 09-20-2010 01:09 PM

Regarding the fitness level, Martin is a fitness nazi, at the begining of last seasons some players said that the regular trainings were as hard as some punitive training they had on other teams; also Martin said at the begining of last year's camp that the level of fitness of the players aren't up to his standarts and they will get better during the season and the next one.

Fitness is very important for Martin, that might explain why the Subban, Lapierre, O'Byrne and Patch came to camp in an superb condition: they want a spot and they know that'll help them.

Strik_IX 09-20-2010 01:15 PM

While I don't see him starting the year here at all, an eventual call-up due to injury is not something that is out of the question if you ask me.

It all depends how well he does with the dogs, but so far he's fairly impressive.

A whole lot can happen in the course of a season.

Harry Wong 09-20-2010 01:17 PM

No one wants to ruin a player by moving him up too quick. That is a given. Schultz does have qualities that are pretty rare on the current habs. But to say he needs 2 years when he hasn't even played an exibition game is perhaps overly cautious. Lets see what he really brings in the rest of camp and if he survives first.

Pascal 09-20-2010 01:21 PM

Quote:

and you say this based on what? Laraque not being played because he was terrible and not doing his job?

24Cups 09-20-2010 01:28 PM

Quote:

Recent history doesn't support this. Ottawa and Florida had some mean SOBs under Martin's watch.

Miller Time 09-20-2010 01:36 PM

sounds like the fitness/skating issues will be his biggest obstacle, but given our lineup, I wouldn't be surprised if he gets a taste of the NHL as early as this year... given our lineup, I'd much rather see him get a call-up and play 5-10 minutes on the 4th line then Maxwell/Palushaj/Desharnais.

let's face it, our roster is warm butter soft, and while I agree with those who argue that several of our players play a "tough" game even without being physically imposing, at the end of the day we don't have anyone pencilled in right now who can physically handle the goons/tough guys most of our opponents will be all to eager to use against us (anyone notice mcgrattan getting a try-out with the "B's"... come playoff time, I'd love to see the B's dress that guy against us, but in mid-january, watching him or a player like him take liberties on our guys with only Moen or Lapierre to "step-in" is a little distressing.

Schultz is as tough as they come, and I've heard from a few different first-hand sources that he was downright feared during his last year in the dub... despite being a top 6 guy for the Hitmen, even the pure goons on the other squads were hesitant to tangle with him... that says a lot imo.

Hopefully, Martin and co. (and then Cunneyworth and co. in Hamilton) do a good of showing this kid that if he puts in the conditioning/skating work, he'll be able to have a successful career... and that Schultz has the desire and motivation to make it happen.

FlyingKostitsyn 09-20-2010 01:50 PM

PK f' Subban had to pay his dues in the AHL but Ian Schultz should go straight from the WHL to the NHL? Right...