HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The AHL (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Harford Wolfpack now the Connecticut Whale? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=820617)

pelts35.com 09-20-2010 01:40 PM

Harford Wolfpack now the Connecticut Whale?

Nothing on the AHL website, but this is from the Hartford Courant...

http://www.courant.com/sports/hockey...,4627592.story

The team will open the 2010-11 season as the Wolf Pack; the name change is expected to take place at some point before midseason. The name, a new logo and uniforms are expected to be in place by Feb. 19, when the Whale face the Providence Bruins. That previously scheduled game is expected to be moved outside to Rentschler Field and played before an exhibition between a team of Hollywood celebrities centered around the movie "Mystery, Alaska" and former NHL All-Stars in celebration of the 25th anniversary of the NHL All-Star Game played in Hartford.

A mid-season name change???

Tommy Hawk 09-20-2010 02:19 PM

Goofy.....

Majik1987 09-20-2010 03:15 PM

Wow, what a tacky move all the way around. Why don't they just become the Hartford Admirals and go all in on the goofiness.

First, an in-season name change? I'm guessing that a lot of teams have already started printing their tickets, pocket schedules, and other materials, so these will just be wrong. If they haven't, are they going to hyphenate the name or something? Just seems like a logistical mess.

Second, centering a celebrity game on Mystery Alaska? Didn't that movie come out 11 years ago? It's not all that fresh, and it isn't celebrating an anniversary. And honestly, it wasn't an iconic movie that needs to be celebrated. It was good, but to center an event on that?

Just seems like they should wait until next year and just have a clean break.

tarheelhockey 09-20-2010 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Majik1987 (Post 27853561)
First, an in-season name change? I'm guessing that a lot of teams have already started printing their tickets, pocket schedules, and other materials, so these will just be wrong. If they haven't, are they going to hyphenate the name or something? Just seems like a logistical mess.

Not to mention the league has undoubtedly locked in contracts to print things like the media guide.

CHRDANHUTCH 09-20-2010 08:56 PM

Defenders would've been a better representation than Whale

axecrew 09-20-2010 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH (Post 27858367)
Defenders would've been a better representation than Whale

Absolutely.......afterall everyone remembers the Hartford Defenders of years past.

axecrew 09-20-2010 09:08 PM

All this is is an attempt to capitalize on the still popularity of the old Whalers. Without using the Whalers name or Hartford. Doing it mid-season is kinda stupid for the reasons listed above, but still.....

Taro Tsujimoto 09-20-2010 09:38 PM

The lack of this in this thread disappoints me:

hlundqvist30* 09-20-2010 11:12 PM

Rangers fans refuse to call them this and will refer to them as the "Hartford Whalepack."

Rocko604 09-20-2010 11:34 PM

Wow. The bush-factor in this is beyond any measurable levels. Not the name change itself, but the timing of it all.

IMHO, however, this is an insult to the original Whalers.

Brad Tolliver 09-21-2010 12:50 AM

Two words: Howard Baldwin.

GarbageGoal 09-21-2010 10:18 AM

The people behind all this do not give a crap about the AHL.

Evil Doctor 09-21-2010 11:15 AM

So Whale, and not Whales or Whalers (or even Wales?)? And a mid-season name change? The WHA had numerous mid-season name changes, and California Seals became the Oakland Seals midway through the 67-68 season in the NHL but those were due to financial difficulties. The AHL should veto this and only allow the change to take place at the beginning of the 11-12 season.

pelts35.com 09-21-2010 01:36 PM

FWIW, I shot an email to the AHL asking about this and that some of the feedback is quite negative about allowing a mid-year name change. I'll be curious if I get a reply.

axecrew 09-21-2010 09:09 PM

If you do I hope it's more than the usual party line b.s.

scoob4093 09-22-2010 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axecrew (Post 27874725)
If you do I hope it's more than the usual party line b.s.

From one who lives in town and is familiar with a few of them it's a lock that it will be.

pelts35.com 09-22-2010 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scoob4093 (Post 27887136)
From one who lives in town and is familiar with a few of them it's a lock that it will be.

In this case I'll be surprised if I even get a response.

sbkbghockey 09-22-2010 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil Doctor (Post 27864119)
So Whale, and not Whales or Whalers (or even Wales?)? And a mid-season name change? The WHA had numerous mid-season name changes, and California Seals became the Oakland Seals midway through the 67-68 season in the NHL but those were due to financial difficulties. The AHL should veto this and only allow the change to take place at the beginning of the 11-12 season.

I agree I thought the thread was a typo before clicking on it. Whale__what___!? The name is just missing something. Connecticut Whalers could have been a cool name.

As far a mid-season name change! WOW!!! At least the example you brought up was a little different. Seals stayed the same, it sounds more of a marketing move to connect with their Bay Area target market better!

adsfan 09-23-2010 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Majik1987 (Post 27853561)
Wow, what a tacky move all the way around. Why don't they just become the Hartford Admirals and go all in on the goofiness.

Second, centering a celebrity game on Mystery Alaska? Didn't that movie come out 11 years ago? It's not all that fresh, and it isn't celebrating an anniversary. And honestly, it wasn't an iconic movie that needs to be celebrated. It was good, but to center an event on that?

Just seems like they should wait until next year and just have a clean break.

I am all in favor in getting rid of all AHL team names that are Wolf related. However, with Hartford's reputation for insurance and medicine, I suggest Rear Admirals. If Atlantic City or Las Vegas gets an AHL team, they can be the Vice Admirals.

Seriously, this is either madness or a publicity stunt. In Milwaukee, the schedule usually lists the city of origin, i.e. Peoria or Houston, not Rivermen or Aeros. Although the tickets do usually list the entire team name, i.e. Rockford Icehogs and logo.

pelts35.com 10-14-2010 09:54 AM

They will officially be the Connecticut Whale as of November 27

http://www.courant.com/sports/hockey...3,0,2164.story

cjerina 10-14-2010 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adsfan (Post 27900504)
Seriously, this is either madness or a publicity stunt. In Milwaukee, the schedule usually lists the city of origin, i.e. Peoria or Houston, not Rivermen or Aeros. Although the tickets do usually list the entire team name, i.e. Rockford Icehogs and logo.

Wrong, the Ads schedule lists the location but then there is a key listing the abbreviations and the teams they stand for.

CHRDANHUTCH 10-14-2010 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cjerina (Post 28301245)
Wrong, the Ads schedule lists the location but then there is a key listing the abbreviations and the teams they stand for.

unfortunately, though those are already preprinted in advance, cjerina, it's unlikely the West will see the Whale....

mess11mess 10-21-2010 09:43 PM

Goofy indeed.

Not much thought put into the entire thing but then I'm guessing the organization is not one to pay much attention to details. Check out one of the main pictures in their current rotating header.

#17 PA Parenteau - an Islander
#40 Steve Valiquette - playing in the KHL
#20 Paul Crowder - playing in the ECHL for the Utah Grizzles

http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/9118/whalea.jpg

Evil Doctor 10-22-2010 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mess11mess (Post 28455706)
Goofy indeed.

Not much thought put into the entire thing but then I'm guessing the organization is not one to pay much attention to details. Check out one of the main pictures in their current rotating header.

#17 PA Parenteau - an Islander
#40 Steve Valiquette - playing in the KHL
#20 Paul Crowder - playing in the ECHL for the Utah Grizzles

http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/9118/whalea.jpg

There is also the little bit at the bottom that says: "Don't miss a second of 2010-11 Hartford Wolf Pack season."

Honestly I don't know why the AHL allowed the mid-season name change. I know the AHL is a minor league but it's no excuse to act bush league...

Call Me No One 10-25-2010 04:06 PM

I read about the name change during the pre-season, I think. And I'm pretty sure I overlooked the fact that it was going to take effect mid-season. Because I assumed it meant the 2011-12 season, they were going to be known as the Connecticut Whale. Because a mid-season name-change is just downright stupid.