HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Los Angeles Kings (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Kings Article: Have Kings Found Magic Blueline Tandem? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=820945)

TonySCV 09-21-2010 10:34 AM

Have Kings Found Magic Blueline Tandem?
 
Good article from LeBrun...

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...ue-line-tandem

"So much of the Kings' offseason has been about the one that got away in Kovalchuk. But if Mitchell stays healthy this season, revisionist history will suggest it was the summer Los Angeles found Doughty's perfect fit."

KopitarFAN 09-21-2010 10:55 AM

If JJ-Scuds can make it work, we'll see Doughty-Mitchell. But I doubt it will.

Capn Brown 09-21-2010 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KopitarFAN (Post 27864638)
If JJ-Scuds can make it work, we'll see Doughty-Mitchell. But I doubt it will.


I'm thinking there could be a JJ/Drewiske pairing, with Greene taking Drewiske's spot after health is acquired.

That way, Scuds can be paired with Hickey for efficient tutelage.


Doughty / Mitchell
Greene / JJ
Hickey / Scuds

Drewiske

Hatter 09-21-2010 11:11 AM

What a stand up guy and a class act!

How can you not love this guy?

BigKing 09-21-2010 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capn Brown (Post 27864755)
I'm thinking there could be a JJ/Drewiske pairing, with Greene taking Drewiske's spot after health is acquired.

That way, Scuds can be paired with Hickey for efficient tutelage.


Doughty / Mitchell
Greene / JJ
Hickey / Scuds

Drewiske

Greene/JJ has been an absolute nightmare every time they've been paired together. Greene will anchor the bottom pairing.

Chairman Maouth 09-21-2010 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hatter (Post 27864859)
What a stand up guy and a class act!

How can you not love this guy?

Mitchell?

Yes he is. We're sorry to see him leave Vancouver. He had great runs in Minnesota and Vancouver, and a brief stop in Dallas where he apparently played pretty bad. They don't like him there. Hopefully he'll stay healthy and help you guys out.

Hatter 09-21-2010 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chairman Maouth;
Mitchell?

Yes he is. We're sorry to see him leave Vancouver. He had great runs in Minnesota and Vancouver, and a brief stop in Dallas where he apparently played pretty bad. They don't like him there. Hopefully he'll stay healthy and help you guys out.

given the kings track record I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't. Heh

Capn Brown 09-21-2010 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigKing (Post 27864946)
Greene/JJ has been an absolute nightmare every time they've been paired together. Greene will anchor the bottom pairing.


OK, so if Greene/JJ has been a nightmare and if Scuds/JJ has been terrible, the variable to be considered is JJ.

Is it that those pairings were bad, or that JJ was in those pairings prior to the Olympic break, i.e., when JJ was still a turnover machine?

:help:

PS: If you tell me JJ is only an effective NHL defenseman when paired with Doughty, I'll tell you JJ is trade bait.

KopitarFAN 09-21-2010 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capn Brown (Post 27865015)
OK, so if Greene/JJ has been a nightmare and if Scuds/JJ has been terrible, the variable to be considered is JJ.

Is it that those pairings were bad, or that JJ was in those pairings prior to the Olympic break, i.e., when JJ was still a turnover machine?

:help:

PS: If you tell me JJ is only an effective NHL defenseman when paired with Doughty, I'll tell you JJ is trade bait.

I think JJ pretty much only played with Jones(and Doughty on the PP) post-Olympics.

Chairman Maouth 09-21-2010 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hatter (Post 27865008)
given the kings track record I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't. Heh

The guy is so classy and likable that in spite of the fact that we support competing teams that are on the verge of a rivalry, I still want him to do well.

Mitchell highlights.




driller1 09-21-2010 11:50 AM

LOL @ Lebrun twitter:

@Real_ESPNLeBrun: Just ran into Rob Blake here at Kings practice facility. His son has a squirts' game here in a few minutes

Head coach for this squirts team is former NHLer Nelson Emerson. Assistant coaches are Blake and player agent Pat Brisson (Crosby, Toews).

-----------
I thought Emerson was Kings player development coordinator? Perhaps Kings are developing with a 2 decade time horizon... LA better be represented in the 1st round of the draft a decade from now- thats a pretty decent coaching staff for a squirts game...

Andrew Knoll 09-21-2010 10:10 PM

I think Johnson and Scuderi can work, I've been there for every day of camp except when LeBrun came (yesterday) and I've liked the way they have looked together and taken to one another.

The whole stay-at-home vs mobile partnership will be more important than ever this year and that dynamic is at play there. Johnson also seems tough to play against in the early going, I think he has been picking up that part of his game and picking up some of Scuderi's intensity one-on-one.

I like both those pairings and Greener, as others have said, to anchor a third pairing when he gets back. Drewiskie looks great physically, he and Clune are the two guys whose bodies have impressed me most along with Mitchell, whose physique is as solid as ever.

I like that top four mix and then Johnson/Doughty on the power-play points.

Reading the article, hmmm, a bit of hyperbole by LeBrun about Mitchell vs Kovalchuk but because they sort of snuck the signing of Willie in it has been overlooked. The terms were also great, we saw a conservative approach that should ensure Doughty, Johnson and Simmonds stay with the team and that missing piece can still get picked up but of course nothing is concrete.

Real story vis-a-vis Kovalchuk is if the Kings can ramp up their scoring with a series of micro/macro adjustments. Putting all their top shooters/scorers on one line early on. Pushing the defense into the play more. Having Williams healthy. Getting a little more scoring out of Brown, Stoll and Simmonds, one guy on each line, etc.

Also let's not forget they are in brilliant position to rent guys at the deadline with both cap space and prospects available.

JT Dutch* 09-21-2010 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeBrun (Post 27864349)
http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...ue-line-tandem

"So much of the Kings' offseason has been about the one that got away in Kovalchuk. But if Mitchell stays healthy this season, revisionist history will suggest it was the summer Los Angeles found Doughty's perfect fit."

... If the Kings want to take the year of experience and cohesion that the Scuderi-Doughty pairing gained, as well as the progress both players enjoyed from it, and just chuck it into the dumpster - they'll certainly pay for it, but I suppose it wouldn't be anything new for this franchise.

Ziggy Stardust 09-21-2010 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JT Dutch (Post 27878970)
... If the Kings want to take the year of experience and cohesion that the Scuderi-Doughty pairing gained, as well as the progress both players enjoyed from it, and just chuck it into the dumpster - they'll certainly pay for it, but I suppose it wouldn't be anything new for this franchise.

A player as talented as Doughty and someone as experienced as Mitchell isn't going to have much difficulty adjusting to one another. Doughty doesn't need any training wheels. There is this thing called communication that benefits both players, and from early impressions, both players are meshing quite well. But let the internet jockey decide what's best.

KopitarFAN 09-21-2010 10:46 PM

Ideally JJ-Scuds could make it work, but I fear that Murray might pair Mitchell-Doughty with no regard for the 2nd pair.

JT Dutch* 09-21-2010 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust (Post 27879041)
But let the internet jockey decide what's best.

... LOL! There's today's ironic post of the night, brought to you by Centrum (TM) with Iron.

No it's not like the Kings have ever made a bad decision about personnel ever; you are so right!

Ziggy Stardust 09-21-2010 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JT Dutch (Post 27879178)
... LOL! There's today's ironic post of the night, brought to you by Centrum (TM) with Iron.

No it's not like the Kings have ever made a bad decision about personnel ever; you are so right!

Not claiming the Kings haven't made any poor decisions in the past, but there is very little reason to complain about defense pairings at this point.

Scuderi and Doughty didn't also had a running rotation of D partners throughout the season. Doughty's partners ranged from Scuderi to O'Donnell and Johnson.

Scuderi played with Greene, O'Donnell and Johnson. Johnson played with Jones, Doughty, Greene, O'Donnell, Scuderi and Harrold.

The team could benefit a hell of a lot by making this move. Mitchell is better with the puck compared to Scuderi and has experience playing the minutes necessary for a top pairing defenseman. And if Scuderi can have the same influence on JJ as he did on Doughty, then I can't see how the Kings are wronging any of their defenseman.

I don't follow your logic and don't see any problem being caused here. These guys are professionals with years of experience, oodles of talent, and they all play under the same system. I'm sure John Stevens knows how to handle his defensemen.

JT Dutch* 09-21-2010 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust (Post 27879376)
I don't follow your logic and don't see any problem being caused here. These guys are professionals with years of experience, oodles of talent, and they all play under the same system. I'm sure John Stevens knows how to handle his defensemen.

... The logic is that there's no need to fix what isn't broken with Scuderi-Doughty, and there's certainly a good reason to think that Johnson would only benefit by pairing with Mitchell. It keeps the Kings from placing top-pairing pressure on a new arrival to the team, as well.

KINGS17 09-22-2010 03:53 AM

Leave it to the Kings to screw up again and welcome a new UFA veteran defenseman to the fold by pairing him with their best young defenseman. Then screwing up even more by pairing the kid they want to provide more offense with their steadiest defensive defenseman.

For some the glass is always half-empty. Even when it just may be almost completely full.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:11 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.