HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Go Smarty Go (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=82134)

MiamiScreamingEagles 06-04-2004 11:11 PM

Go Smarty Go

I hope it is allowed to do a non-hockey topic but all the best to Smarty Jones and the horse's crew for the Belmont. If any city deserves a winner... :banana:

GKJ 06-04-2004 11:31 PM

Ugh, I'm gonna be working. I can take my break during the race though. Anyone know what Post time is?

MiamiScreamingEagles 06-05-2004 12:12 AM

It is listed as 6:38 PM Eastern time.

GKJ 06-05-2004 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles
It is listed as 6:38 PM Eastern time.

Oh my, that means I'll have to work 4 1/2 hours before taking a break. I'm only working 5.

MiamiScreamingEagles 06-05-2004 10:51 AM

The New York Post has cool covers today:

http://www.nypost.com/frontback.html

ObeySteve 06-05-2004 11:06 AM

I'm hoping a Smarty Jones win today can help break the so-called curse that most Philadelphians seem to believe the sports teams of this city have.

Toonces 06-05-2004 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ObeySteve
I'm hoping a Smarty Jones win today can help break the so-called curse that most Philadelphians seem to believe the sports teams of this city have.

I was thinking that too.

I'm hardly a horse racing fan, in fact I usually couldn't care less, but I'm pulling for Smarty.

Brad* 06-05-2004 12:28 PM

There sure is a lot of buildup for a race that will last only a few minutes.

Flyers26 06-05-2004 02:12 PM

Quote:

No championships since they went against the city charter, and built higher than the William Penn statue! Hmmm.....
:dunno:

FlyersGuy69 06-05-2004 02:13 PM

going to a friends house for a Smarty Party...lol.

I am really pulling for him to win.

blah 06-05-2004 05:53 PM

Noooooooooooooooooooo

Classic Devil 06-05-2004 05:54 PM

Smarty Jones has lost the Belmont. :dunno:

ObeySteve 06-05-2004 06:21 PM

Different sport, same Philadelphia story.

Broadway Brett 06-05-2004 06:25 PM

Sorry guys. I'll cry with you. :cry: :cry: :cry:

MiamiScreamingEagles 06-05-2004 06:38 PM

Next to hockey, horse racing is my favorite sport and I have NEVER EVER seen such sullen victors as the winners of Birdstone. What a somber day, even the winners were affected. :shakehead

GKJ 06-05-2004 07:00 PM

he led too long in the race. the only horses that win the long races are the closers. they save up enough juice for the end. Before the race, I knew it would be harder for him to win, and during the race, unless he turned the jets on (which you're talking Secretariet and Affirmed territory) then you're not going to win a 1 1/2 mile race unless you're gonna be closing. Had Rock Hard Ten not pushed so hard going into the far turn, it might be different, but I doubt it. You can train all you want, it just gets the horse used to the distence, he'll never be used to other horses pressing him. Birdstone just turned it on at the right time, had he waited about 20 more feet, he probably would have been pulled up.

Great job by Smaty Jones, he put Philadelphia Park on the map in horse racing, since it wasn't before. He'll come back and hopefully win the Pennsylvania Derby, he'll hopefully own the Breeder's Cup, and minus that extra 5 million dollar paycheck from Visa, make more money than any horse in history.

GBailey93 06-05-2004 07:26 PM

Was that William Penn riding Birdstone?

Brad* 06-05-2004 08:11 PM

I admittedly know nothing about horse racing, but I thought he had it won when he came around the last turn. Oh well, he gave it a good run.

GKJ 06-05-2004 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyersPhantoms33
I admittedly know nothing about horse racing, but I thought he had it won when he came around the last turn. Oh well, he gave it a good run.

I was thinking that too. I thought someone would have to fight him in the turn

MiamiScreamingEagles 06-05-2004 11:40 PM

Winning two legs of the Triple Crown is not only impressive it is amazing. What Smarty Jones and crew did was like losing a perfect game with two outs in the ninth inning on a home run but he went onto win the game 2-1.

MojoJojo 06-05-2004 11:52 PM

Frankly I'm relieved. I would have foud it a tad embarassing to see a parade down broad street for a horse.

ObeySteve 06-06-2004 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles
Winning two legs of the Triple Crown is not only impressive it is amazing. What Smarty Jones and crew did was like losing a perfect game with two outs in the ninth inning on a home run but he went onto win the game 2-1.

Well, the depressing thing is so many horses have managed to win just the first two legs that Smarty may still end up just being another forgotten horse that failed to win the final leg at Belmont.

Pontifex Maximus* 06-06-2004 11:21 AM

It is a mistake to run the horse in the PA Derby. It's a nothing race that will only hurt him. It's the equivalent of putting $10,000 on a 1 to 2 shot. Not worth the risk of him losing and his stud money going down. He'll get $40m now, and maybe a little more in he wins the Breeder's Crown. Although it is pretty obvious that he can beat any horse under 1.5 miles.

GKJ 06-06-2004 11:52 PM

Quote:

Well, the depressing thing is so many horses have managed to win just the first two legs that Smarty may still end up just being another forgotten horse that failed to win the final leg at Belmont.

This horse won't be forgotten by anyone, anytime during our lifetime.

blah 06-07-2004 01:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MojoJojo
Frankly I'm relieved. I would have foud it a tad embarassing to see a parade down broad street for a horse.

Yeah it would've been a joke compared to all of the parades we've had recently. Oh, wait... :shakehead