HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Brewer to Columbus Proposal (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=82141)

puck528 06-05-2004 12:41 AM

Brewer to Columbus Proposal

To Columbus:
Brewer
Rita
5th rounder

To Edmonton
4th Overall
Friche
2nd Rounder 2005

Thoughts?

Vyse64 06-05-2004 01:18 AM

not enough to get Brewer out of Edmonton, 25 yr old defensemen, no. 1 in edmonton.
not a strong enough draft to trade for 4th overall

Xoggz22 06-05-2004 07:01 AM

I'd love to have Brewer obviously. The other issue is we don't have a 2nd rounder this year. While we would hate to lose Fritsche, gotta give to get. He's an Ohio boy that looked pretty good in his short stint last year. He only dropped into the 2nd round because of hit shoulder surgery(s). they appear to be very sound and I think he's a solid prospect.

If Barker is available at the time the Jackets pick, I'd love to see this happen. I won't offer an alternative because most on these boards value their own players higher than others. Nice offer though.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe 06-05-2004 08:11 AM

I think Brewer for the 4th is close to fair value. CBJ does need to add something to even it out. But, being a young franchise, they still can't afford to start shipping off prospects. Brewer is young and damn good, but the 4th, Fritsche and a 2nd is too expensive for the CBJ.

I'd rather have Brewer than the 4th, but at this point I'd rather have Fritsche than Rita and a '05 2nd rather than a 5th.

Grudgingly, I'd say no deal.

TVanek26* 06-05-2004 09:01 AM

Wow....Columbus gets robbed here!Jani Rita's value is around a 4th and the 5th is almost useless.Most likely Columbus will not improve that much so that 2nd in 2005 is closer to a 1st.Dan Fritsche is a very nice prospect and the 4th overall is the biggest asset.This draft isn't weak for the top 5 or 6 picks,so this is not like '96.Brewer is pretty overrated...I doubt Edmonton would say no...I would probably offer Kalinin (alone) for that package (And if you know how valued he is around Buffalo,you know you offered a lot)

CREW99AW 06-05-2004 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by puck528
To Columbus:
Brewer
Rita
5th rounder

To Edmonton
4th Overall
Friche
2nd Rounder 2005

Thoughts?

Why is Edmonton trading 25 yr old Brewer instead of 30 yr old Smith,who's about to walk as a ufa next summer?Deal doesn't make sense for the Oilers.

The only way I see the Oilers moving Brewer is if they think Brewer will be too tough to sign,out of their budget.And even then I'd expected the Oilers to have more interest in Rusty Klesha for Brewer then the 4th overall.

Oiltalk 06-05-2004 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanielBriere48
Wow....Columbus gets robbed here!Jani Rita's value is around a 4th and the 5th is almost useless.Most likely Columbus will not improve that much so that 2nd in 2005 is closer to a 1st.Dan Fritsche is a very nice prospect and the 4th overall is the biggest asset.This draft isn't weak for the top 5 or 6 picks,so this is not like '96.Brewer is pretty overrated...I doubt Edmonton would say no...I would probably offer Kalinin (alone) for that package (And if you know how valued he is around Buffalo,you know you offered a lot)

Give me a break. Brewer may be overrated by many, but your way out to lunch in his or Rita's trade value in your little post. Once again the draft is weak. After Ovechkin and Malkin we have a bunch of projects, and a few guys that may be something one day. I don't see any Sakic's or Kovalchuk's after the first two picks.

Rita hasn't been given a chance to succeed with the Oilers, so if that's your reason for dropping his value down to a 4th than there is no point even discussing this with you. :shakehead His value is still around a 2nd round pick.

4th overall could be a bust, and Fritsche hasn't proven anymore than Rita. Lowe laughs at the offer.

Seachd 06-05-2004 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
I think Brewer for the 4th is close to fair value.

Let's look at it this way. If the Oilers use that pick to take Barker (who has drawn comparisons to Brewer), what would they be doing besides setting themselves back 7 years? I think it's going to take a lot more motivation than that to get Brewer out of Edmonton.

Seachd 06-05-2004 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oiltalk
Give me a break. Brewer may be overrated by many, but your way out to lunch in his or Rita's trade value in your little post. Once again the draft is weak. After Ovechkin and Malkin we have a bunch of projects, and a few guys that may be something one day. I don't see any Sakic's or Kovalchuk's after the first two picks.

I disagree with him, but not for these reasons. It's not a weak draft - I don't even think it's worse than average. And if you get a Sakic or Kovalchuk after the first two picks in any draft, you're damn lucky.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe 06-05-2004 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seachd
Let's look at it this way. If the Oilers use that pick to take Barker (who has drawn comparisons to Brewer), what would they be doing besides setting themselves back 7 years? I think it's going to take a lot more motivation than that to get Brewer out of Edmonton.

I agree. But, by a similar token, Columbus is trying to build its organization. Why move three potentially good young assets (4th pick, Fritsche, 2nd) for one good one (Brewer).

The 4th pick will come into Columbus (regardless of position) and be the teams top prospect. Fritsche, right now, is their top offensive prospect. A 2nd rounder can turn into a very good player. Too expensive for Columbus.

Oiler fans can try to sell Rita all they want. At this point, the guy looks more like a bust than he does a prospect. I'd take a gamble on the guy, but not at a 2nd round pick value. Think lower. If they can find better than that, great, but they wouldn't get it from me. I wouldn't trade Fritsche or a 2nd straight up for the guy.

Brewer is the best asset in the proposal. But, I think Columbus gives up the next best three assets, followed by Rita and the 5th. It might be fair value, but I still wouldn't do it from CBJ's view.

Bohologo 06-05-2004 09:55 AM

This deal doesn't make any sense for Edmonton, a team that is further along the track to being competitive than Columbus. Why would Edmonton do this?

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe 06-05-2004 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bohologo
This deal doesn't make any sense for Edmonton, a team that is further along the track to being competitive than Columbus. Why would Edmonton do this?

I think this is the bottom line. It really doesn't make too much sense for either team.
Edmonton is giving up a great young defensemen for a handful of propsects who are at least a year or two away.
Columbus needs young defensemen, but would be taking a huge chunk from their prospect depth to make this deal.

zetterberg40 06-05-2004 12:05 PM

why would the CBJ do this? Barker could end up being better then brewer, fritsche is gonna be better then rita probably and the picks are picks...

no way this happens from a CBJ pov

Mizral 06-05-2004 12:37 PM

Here's a Oilers/Jackets proposal I've been thinking about over the last while:

To Columbus: Eric Brewer, #14 overall pick
To Edmonton: Rostislav Klesla, #4 overall pick

The Oilers may have a bit more trouble paying Brewer than the Jackets. The Oilers get younger (yet again), but perhaps could move that 4th one spot higher to get Barker as well and walk away with Barker as a potential #1 defenseman, and Klesla as a potential #3 guy too.

The Jackets pick up a guy right now who could help them get into the playoffs (Brewer is a lot better than Klesla right now), as well they still get a 1st round pick in the top 15 of the draft.

Dr_Gonz0 06-05-2004 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by puck528
To Columbus:
Brewer
Rita
5th rounder

To Edmonton
4th Overall
Friche
2nd Rounder 2005

Thoughts?

Maybe not enough, but i love the possiblilites with gaining the 4th overall.

Select Tukonen, Korpikoski, and Nokelainen all in the first round and reunite the top Fin line from the world juniors. just a thought.

CBJSlash 06-05-2004 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay Thompson

No way I'd do that. If the 4th ends up being Barker, both him and Klesla can end up being better than Brewer. Around the 14th pick I don't think there is anyone there to make this an even trade.

Kinger1 06-05-2004 12:49 PM

Also keep in mind that Rita's value will be far lower this off season than ever before. He is at a point where he either has to make an NHL on a full time basis, or be subject to waivers to pass down to the minor leagues. Not many teams are going to give up a lot when they have to guarantee an unproven talent a roster spot or risk losing him. Especially when they can wait for a chance to claim him on waivers when the Oilers try to send him down. Rita might be a good NHL player some day but he won't fetch much in this offseason.

Seachd 06-05-2004 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kinger1
Especially when they can wait for a chance to claim him on waivers when the Oilers try to send him down. Rita might be a good NHL player some day but he won't fetch much in this offseason.

They're not going to lose him for nothing, though. They won't put him on waivers. If he's not given a chance in the lineup, he'll most likely go back to Europe.

Cerebral 06-05-2004 01:22 PM

Quote:

The Oilers may have a bit more trouble paying Brewer than the Jackets. The Oilers get younger (yet again), but perhaps could move that 4th one spot higher to get Barker as well and walk away with Barker as a potential #1 defenseman, and Klesla as a potential #3 guy too.

The Jackets pick up a guy right now who could help them get into the playoffs (Brewer is a lot better than Klesla right now), as well they still get a 1st round pick in the top 15 of the draft.

There is a deal that I would definitely strongly consider..

CREW99AW 06-05-2004 03:48 PM

Quote:

I don't get to see either player that much since they aren't in the eastern conference,but I thought 22 yr old Klesla's upside was a #1 dman.

Brewer and Klesla have both strugged.Brewer's got the better rep,but even some Olier fans will admit some of that is the CP overhyping him.

I don't know :dunno: Klesla +4th overall looks like an overpayment if gms/scouts still think Klesha's upside is a #1 defensemen.

Bohologo 06-05-2004 03:50 PM

Quote:

Malakhov 06-05-2004 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
I think Brewer for the 4th is close to fair value.

You guys value picks way too highly.

Asiaoil 06-06-2004 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malakhov

No kidding - say the Oilers did get Barker at #4

- the chances of Barker being AS GOOD as Brewer - maybe 25%
- the chances of Barker being WORSE than Brewer - at least 50-50
- the chances of Barker being BETTER than Brewer - maybe 10%

Why would the Oilers ever consider this trade given Brewer's managable salary, age, and PROVEN performance? The only deal I could see happening is the one that includes Klesa AND the #4 pick - yeah it's steep but that's the only way you get a young top pair dman who can regularly eat 25 minutes a night ice time against top lines. The picks are a crap shoot - Brewer's performance is known (over-valued or not).

Oiltalk 06-06-2004 01:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malakhov

Yup way way to high. The Oilers will keep Brewer. :)

thome_26 06-06-2004 02:02 AM

ya, some of the BJ fans have been without a top pairing Dman for so long they don't know the value of one - especially one that is still young and improving. Brewer has the skill set to be a top five Dman in the league - now whether he puts it all together to be that or not is another thing - but the fact is that he's already a top pairing guy on about 90% of the teams in the NHL.