HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Carolina Hurricanes (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   All Things Charlotte Checkers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=821840)

drummt 09-23-2010 07:25 PM

All Things Charlotte Checkers

CHARLOTTE, NC—The Charlotte Checkers announced today the promotional schedule for the team’s inaugural American Hockey League season, complete with theme nights, promotions and giveaways which emphasize the entertainment value of Checkers games.

http://gocheckers.com/news/more/inde...article_id=256

drummt 09-23-2010 07:26 PM

TRAINING CAMP SCHEDULE RELEASED!
09/14/2010 9:09 AM

CHARLOTTE, NC—Charlotte Checkers senior vice president of hockey business operations Derek Wilkinson along with head coach and general manager Jeff Daniels announced today the schedule for the team’s inaugural American Hockey League training camp.

The Checkers will open training camp on Monday, Sept. 27 at 10 a.m. with the first of seven on-ice sessions open to the public at Extreme Ice Center in Indian Trail, N.C.

http://gocheckers.com/news/more/inde...article_id=254

tarheelhockey 09-23-2010 09:31 PM

It still blows my mind that they have a training facility in Indian Trail. The only ice down there used to be the black stuff on Hwy 74.

Sticky thread potential here?

Citizen Cane 09-25-2010 06:46 AM

I grew up just outside of Charlotte and went to Checkers games as a kid in the early 70's. Looking forward to seeing the forty years later version soon.

My recollections of those early games aren't all that far removed from SlapShot. Lots of brawls.

What the Faulk 09-25-2010 10:49 AM

Indian Trail is quite the random place to hold camp.

Gotta Catch Em Staal 09-30-2010 12:26 PM

So what kind of lineup are we looking at to start the season now that the Canes have made their cuts?

tarheelhockey 09-30-2010 01:22 PM

Just guessing lines...

Osala - Boychuk - Samson
Terry - Dodge - Matsumoto
Blanchard - Nash - Staal
Chaput - McNicoll - Kennedy

Sanguinetti - Borer
Rodney - Jordan
Lawson - Bellemore
Graham

Pogge
Murphy

Honestly that looks like a pretty competitive AHL squad.

Gotta Catch Em Staal 09-30-2010 01:36 PM

I don't really think Boychuk will play center. Maybe something like this?

Boychuk - Nash - Samson
Terry - Matsumoto - Osala
Staal - Chaput - Kennedy
Blanchard - Dodge - McNicoll

Some dilemmas there. Some players who don't deserve it are going to be stuck on the 4th line no matter what.

imayagainknowanson 09-30-2010 01:55 PM

I guess we'll see again that good shutdown Terry- Dodge combo against other top ahl teams first lines.

Any words for team captains and alternates? Pretty sure Terry and Dodge will wear a letter, they're team leaders no doubt. Borer too.

DaveG 09-30-2010 03:20 PM

don't forget about the guys that were on AHL deals but aren't under contract for us. Jacob Micflikier was outstanding for Albany last year and I'd have to bet he'll be seeing significant time again this season. So with that said:

Zach Boychuk - Riley Nash - Jerome Samson
Chris Terry - Jon Matsumoto - Oskar Osala
Jacob Micflikier - Stefan Chaput - Jared Staal
Nic Blanchard - Nick Dodge - Matt Kennedy
Matt Pistilli and Brad Herauf as extras
Cedric McNicoll, Mike McKenzie and Matt Beca to the Blades (ECHL)

Bobby Sanguinetti - Casey Borer
Michal Jordan - Kyle Lawson
Brett Bellemore - Brian Rodney
Zach Fitzgerald as extra
Elgin Reed and Ethan Graham to the Blades.

Mike Murphy
Justin Pogge
Rob Goepfort to the Blades

dmonk 10-01-2010 08:54 PM

Checkers beat Admirals in what i think their 1st exhibition game.

Nash with hat trick, Boychuk with a goal.

Not a bad start for Riley Nash.

Gotta Catch Em Staal 10-04-2010 12:52 PM

Checkers make some cuts:

http://checkerschatter.com/2010/10/0...e-assignments/

Quote:

After a good look at his roster for two games, Coach Daniels re-assigned five players to the Checkers’ ECHL affiliate Florida today: forwards Matt Beca, Matthew Pistilli and Mike McKenzie; and defensemen Trevor Hendrikx and Elgin Reid.

CptKirk 10-04-2010 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tarheelhockey (Post 27915875)
It still blows my mind that they have a training facility in Indian Trail. The only ice down there used to be the black stuff on Hwy 74.

Sticky thread potential here?

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Sam (Post 27938581)
Indian Trail is quite the random place to hold camp.

There's a pretty nice rink there that they built recently. Two full sheets, one tiny one for various practice, bar and fitness area, two full sets of locker rooms to boot.

I've played there. It's a nice facility. The ice was crap, but that had less to do with the facility and more to do with poor event planning and confusion (state games two years ago). I'm not at all surprised they're having camp there.

dmonk 10-08-2010 10:50 AM

Checker's roster is set.

Rodney is named team captain. Fitzerald and Dodge got "A"s

Forwards (13)
Nicolas Blanchard, Zach Boychuk, Stefan Chaput, Nick Dodge, Brad Herauf, Matt Kennedy, Jon Matsumoto, Jacob Micflikier, Riley Nash, Oskar Osala, Jerome Samson, Jared Staal, Chris Terry

Defensemen (7)
Brett Bellemore, Casey Borer, Zack Fitzgerald, Ethan Graham, Michal Jordan, Kyle Lawson, Bryan Rodney

Goaltenders (2)
Bobby Goepfert, Mike Murphy

I assume Goepfert will fade away when Pogge and Petters are back in US.

DaveG 10-08-2010 10:55 AM

likewise I'd bet Graham is sent to the ECHL when Sanguinetti is sent back to Charlotte.

Sasha Cares 10-08-2010 02:21 PM

When is opening night

HisIceness 10-08-2010 04:42 PM

Home opener is next Friday night. Exciting time for Charlotte Hockey.

Season for them begins tomorrow night

dmonk 10-09-2010 09:17 PM

Checkers dropped a season opened to Hartford 4-2.

Their defense, goaltending (and likely offense after Samsonov is back) should get a nice boost soon (once jet lag is over) with Carson, Sangs and Pogge (and Dalpe, Bowman shortly thereafter) back in the minors.

Scorvo 10-10-2010 03:36 PM

Listening to the Checkers game right now(I don't really care at all about the NFL, so I'm skipping that). Checkers are up 3-1 after 2 and really took control of the game in the second. Sanguinetti really sounds like he is controlling the game in the offensive zone. With him and Rodney on the point, we should probably be near the top of the AHL on the man advantage. Micflikier might need to get a two-way deal from us, really playing well. The lone goal given up was pretty bad call by the refs. Murphy was tripped and the net was wide open for Mayorov.

dmonk 10-10-2010 04:05 PM

And Terry just made it 4-1...

if Canes are healthy and don't poach Checkers too often, our farm is going to make a lot of damage in AHL this year.

Denzil 10-10-2010 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scorvo (Post 28225990)
Listening to the Checkers game right now(I don't really care at all about the NFL, so I'm skipping that). Checkers are up 3-1 after 2 and really took control of the game in the second. Sanguinetti really sounds like he is controlling the game in the offensive zone. With him and Rodney on the point, we should probably be near the top of the AHL on the man advantage. Micflikier might need to get a two-way deal from us, really playing well. The lone goal given up was pretty bad call by the refs. Murphy was tripped and the net was wide open for Mayorov.

Should have been that way last year, scratch Sanguinetti for McBain - didn't work out that way, our PP was awful.

dmonk 10-11-2010 04:08 PM

Checkers were steamrolled by Pirates today... 5-1

Piss poor start by Pogge... Hope it's just a jet lag, and hope this is not what to expect from the rest of the Canes who took the trip.

Checkers - 43 shots vs Pirates - 25.

Boychuk, Osala and Sangs led the team in "+/-" with -3 each.

The only Checkers goal was scored by Samson with 10 seconds left in regulation.

Chrispy 10-12-2010 10:51 AM

With Sanguinetti and Carson both sent to Charlotte, the Checkers sent Kyle Lawson and G Bobby Goepfert to the Everblades yesterday.

tarheelhockey 10-12-2010 01:16 PM

How's attendance looking in Charlotte?

Gotta Catch Em Staal 10-12-2010 03:24 PM

Home opener isn't until Friday.