HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Los Angeles Kings (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Kings Article: SchoolYourPool's 2010-11 Kings Team Preview (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=822285)

BC Ben 09-25-2010 12:18 AM

SchoolYourPool's 2010-11 Kings Team Preview

Hey Kings' fans!

I have to say that I am particularly excited to see this year's version of the Los Angeles Kings. There are some truly dynamic and exciting players on this squad, many of which I wish to own in fantasy leagues, but do not ( :( )

Anyways, SYP asked Balls Brunswick to provide a Team Preview for the Kings' 2010-11 season and he gave us THIS PIECE.

There are some bold predictions, but we expect nothing less of a guy named Balls.

It should be noted that both myself and my website partner believe that should the line of Smyth-Kopitar-Brown stick together the whole year, they will be amongst the best (and highest scoring) in the league.

Tell us what you think of our preview, and ENJOY HOCKEY!!

Balls Mahoney 09-25-2010 06:10 PM

First time one of my previews has been so good that I've been rewarded with an appreciative silence instead of death threats and letter bombs.

RonSwanson* 09-25-2010 11:10 PM

Quote:

The Kings are led up front by 23-year old Slovenian center Anze Kopitar who had a career year last season with 81 points. The uber-talented pivot has struggled with consistency in his young career and has heavily relied on the talent of his linemates.
FAIL.

Reaper45 09-25-2010 11:44 PM

Quote:

The Kings' signed UFA winger Alexei Ponikarovsky who is a talented two-way complimentary player that will likely be playing second line minutes
Swing and a miss.

Kings 2nd line through camp so far seems to be
Parse-Stoll-Williams

etherialone 09-26-2010 12:24 AM

I dunno, i mean sure there are a couple of things that i might disagree with in some ways but to me I found this to be one of the more enlightened articles/projections that I have read.

Balls Mahoney 09-26-2010 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adevandry (Post 27953109)
FAIL.

:laugh: Look at his numbers with and without Smyth.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper45 (Post 27953560)
Swing and a miss.

Kings 2nd line through camp so far seems to be
Parse-Stoll-Williams

That's nice, with the lack of depth on the wings, you think it's going to stay that way?

Reaper45 09-26-2010 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balls Mahoney (Post 27954239)

That's nice, with the lack of depth on the wings, you think it's going to stay that way?

Personally, no. I think Moller or Richardson are going to take over the winger spot from Parse.

Fishhead 09-26-2010 12:47 AM

Quote:

He scored 4 less points 3 years ago without Smyth. Sure, Ryan helps his scoring, but Anze put up nearly identical numbers with O'Sullivan and Brown on his wings the majority of the time, one of which was recently released by the worst team in the league.

Brown broke 30 goals for the only time in his career when he played with Kopitar (9 more than any other season). To say that Kopitar relies heavily on his linemates is backwards, IMO. He makes his linemates better, not vice versa.

Balls Mahoney 09-26-2010 12:52 AM

This past season Kopitar started out as the hottest player in the league averaging nearly 2 points a game. As soon as Smyth got injured around the 25 game mark, Kopitar cooled off considerably and went through a malaise through a considerable portion of games before becoming a strong PPG player again when Smyth returned. From a fantasy perspective this trend is significant.

Perhaps I phrased it wrong but that trend last season was noteworthy in terms of predicting Kopitar's performance this season. And I apologize for coming off kind of prickish and I could be wrong but this is what I think.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper45 (Post 27954478)
Personally, no. I think Moller or Richardson are going to take over the winger spot from Parse.

That's totally fair enough but personally I don't see how a guy who's a consistent .5 pace scorer won't make it into the top six sometime around the 30 game mark as the other guys start hitting their inconsistencies.

KopitarFAN 09-26-2010 01:32 AM

One of the few things that i disagreed with is that this is more than a 95 point team(that's what I gathered from the goaltenders records). This is about a 105 point team if it stays mostly healthy in the top 6 and on the back-end.

RonSwanson* 09-26-2010 02:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishhead (Post 27954503)
He scored 4 less points 3 years ago without Smyth. Sure, Ryan helps his scoring, but Anze put up nearly identical numbers with O'Sullivan and Brown on his wings the majority of the time, one of which was recently released by the worst team in the league.

Brown broke 30 goals for the only time in his career when he played with Kopitar (9 more than any other season). To say that Kopitar relies heavily on his linemates is backwards, IMO. He makes his linemates better, not vice versa.

Exactly. His whole basis for making that claim was due to a handful of games when the entire line was clicking. Yeah, nevermind the previous three years.

Balls Mahoney 09-26-2010 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KopitarFAN (Post 27955056)
One of the few things that i disagreed with is that this is more than a 95 point team(that's what I gathered from the goaltenders records). This is about a 105 point team if it stays mostly healthy in the top 6 and on the back-end.

I think the Kings are going to go through some growing pains as Quick will probably struggle this year and the Kings lack the top end offensive talent to carry them through the rough patches.

Quote:

Originally Posted by adevandry (Post 27955657)
Exactly. His whole basis for making that claim was due to a handful of games when the entire line was clicking. Yeah, nevermind the previous three years.

You don't think Kopitar hit a whole new level last season with Smyth on his wing? And he hit 66, 77 in a career scoring pace year for Frolov, and 61 in his rookie season. The numbers say he's dependent on competent linemates. Last year was the first time Kopitar could be considered elite.

RonSwanson* 09-26-2010 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balls Mahoney (Post 27956062)
You don't think Kopitar hit a whole new level last season with Smyth on his wing? And he hit 66, 77 in a career scoring pace year for Frolov, and 61 in his rookie season. The numbers say he's dependent on competent linemates. Last year was the first time Kopitar could be considered elite.

Kopi was like 21 last season. Give me a break. I don't think Smyth helps Kopitar more than any other top line LW would.

You still haven't addressed the bogus "inconsistent" claim.

RonSwanson* 09-26-2010 03:10 PM

Sorry for the multiple posts. The forum was having server trouble earlier.

mods, feel free to delete. I don't seem to have that function enabled at the moment.

RonSwanson* 09-26-2010 03:10 PM

Sorry for the multiple posts. The forum was having server trouble earlier.

mods, feel free to delete. I don't seem to have that function enabled at the moment.

Fishhead 09-26-2010 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balls Mahoney (Post 27956062)

Kopitar was Kopitar last year. Even though he started great, I think 2007-2008 was a slightly better overall year for him. 77 points with Patrick O'Sullivan and Dustin Brown does not say he's dependent on his linemates in any way. Brown scored 16 more goals when he moved to Anze's line in 2007-8. Frolov scored 9 more than the previous year when he played primarily with Anze in 2008-9.

I don't see how these numbers say he is dependent on his linemates. Whoever is put with him flourishes.

Balls Mahoney 09-26-2010 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adevandry (Post 27956541)
Kopi was like 21 last season. Give me a break. I don't think Smyth helps Kopitar more than any other top line LW would.

You still haven't addressed the bogus "inconsistent" claim.

Do you think 61, 77, 66 and a stretch of lousy games when his linemates got injured is considered consistent for a first line center in this league? I'm not coming down on Kopitar at all, in fact he's one of my favorite players in the league. However there is a statistical trend here.

I'm interested to see what Brown does offensively this year if he sticks with Smyth and Kopitar.

outofrange 09-26-2010 04:19 PM

Quote:

You're wrong for many reasons and not all of them you can know by gleaning a stat sheet.

1. Kopitar has moments throughout a season where he looks like a top five player in the league and moments where he's just average. He's got the skill, that's no question.

2. This past season because of the fabulous start that he had he was singled out much more than in seasons past and he got rocked a few times (hits by Phanuef, Stuart and Orpik I believe). He then got tentative and started playing on the perimeter (plus he became snakebit) and Smyth went down at this point.

3. When he shook off his funk about staying on the outside and started carrying the puck through the middle like he used to do in the beginning of the season, his game picked up.

In conclusion his linemates will come on and go, and Kopitar will still be Kopitar. His biggest thing is being tentative and once he learns to be confident in his game for sure then I think the Kings are really set.

Balls Mahoney 09-26-2010 05:07 PM

Well all I can see is I'll guess we'll see what happens this season when Smyth hits his yearly injury plague and missed a double digit game stretch.

RonSwanson* 09-27-2010 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by outofrange (Post 27957854)
You're wrong for many reasons and not all of them you can know by gleaning a stat sheet.

1. Kopitar has moments throughout a season where he looks like a top five player in the league and moments where he's just average. He's got the skill, that's no question.

2. This past season because of the fabulous start that he had he was singled out much more than in seasons past and he got rocked a few times (hits by Phanuef, Stuart and Orpik I believe). He then got tentative and started playing on the perimeter (plus he became snakebit) and Smyth went down at this point.

3. When he shook off his funk about staying on the outside and started carrying the puck through the middle like he used to do in the beginning of the season, his game picked up.

In conclusion his linemates will come on and go, and Kopitar will still be Kopitar. His biggest thing is being tentative and once he learns to be confident in his game for sure then I think the Kings are really set.

True. Kopi does his thing regardless of who his linemates are. There were times last year when Ivanans was on his line.

RonSwanson* 09-27-2010 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balls Mahoney (Post 27957321)
Do you think 61, 77, 66 and a stretch of lousy games when his linemates got injured is considered consistent for a first line center in this league? I'm not coming down on Kopitar at all, in fact he's one of my favorite players in the league. However there is a statistical trend here.

I'm interested to see what Brown does offensively this year if he sticks with Smyth and Kopitar.

Let's see, 61 pts as a rookie, then a jump to 77 in his sophomore year, then down to 66 when the new coach makes him play defense.

I don't think that's too far a gap to say he's inconsistent at all. Maybe not 1st-line center stats, but definitely consistent. You seem to have those two mixed up.

BC Ben 09-27-2010 02:46 AM

I don't have to agree with my writers, especially a guy called Balls, which is why I continue to believe the line of Smyth-Kopitar-Brown will be one of the most effective this season; I'd look for all these players in fantasy drafts and hockey pools (and have done so personally).