HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Pavel Brendl (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=82259)

nyrfuture 06-05-2004 08:48 PM

Pavel Brendl

This was one of the dumbest trades in rangers history. He was fourth overall and was said to easily be a 40 goal scorer. We never let him develope and shipped him with Johnsson, hlavac, and brendl. Now johnsson is a top d-man in the league. Hlavac had a 28 goal season before we traded him and i think thats why he didnt have a good year this year. Maybe he would became one of our top players by now. Man Sather should kill himself, and look how lindros turned out for us, hes healthy a whole season and only scores 19 goals, whats that all about. Maybe he needs to be injured to play better.

Never agreed with dvorak trade either, carter played horrible and dvorak was only 24 with a 30 goal season at age 22. Maybe if we gave him time to heel he would have gotten back to his old self. He had 17 goals and was regaining form. Man it makes me pissed.

And hey look at malhotra he was in the league at 18 with not a lot of playing time, but now hes the top center in columbus. He would have been good for us now. Who'd we get in return a suicidal Lyashenko and rucinsky. Sorry Roman I miss you man.

Do we even look at players before, we draft or trade for them. I am now officially saying Sather doesn't have the gm skills he used to.

Glad I got that off my chest.

Radek27 06-05-2004 09:51 PM

Brendl is a boom or bust pick..................he has done nothing at the pro level to brag about, so I don't understand why you are so mad about us trading him. He isn't even in the Flyers system anymore he belongs to CAR who stinks and he can't hold a spot on that team.

Theoren Fan 06-05-2004 09:53 PM

Well there goes two minutes I'm never gonna get back...

nyrfuture 06-05-2004 11:02 PM

you obviously dont understand what I said. They didnt let him develope, he wandered around other teams which hurt his progression, obviously. Any player that goes 4th overall and gets traded would be a little hurt. I cant stand peoples stupidity

nyrfuture 06-05-2004 11:06 PM

by the way, brendl had 8 points in 18 games with the hurricanes this season, thats pretty good him, besides, hes doing better than lundmark

Radek27 06-06-2004 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyrfuture
you obviously dont understand what I said. They didnt let him develope, he wandered around other teams which hurt his progression, obviously. Any player that goes 4th overall and gets traded would be a little hurt. I cant stand peoples stupidity

Just because people disagree with you doesn't mean they are stupid. Now with Brendl, trust me..............there was no one more than me hoping Brendl would live up to his hype. He was known as a hit or miss pick at the draft and we took a shot. He has always been labeled a lazy player and being overweight and out of shape at times. Yeah we got Lindros who everyone knew was a mistake, but Brendl isn't the part about that deal that I don't like............I like Johnsson much better than Poti :)

And as far as the Dvorak trade...............A LOT of Ranger fans wanted DVo gone cause he was soft and having injury problems at the time. Carter really did flop on broadway and hindsite is always 20/20, but at the time of the trade Carter was scoring and Dvorak wasn't...............I had no idea Dvorak hit more than Carter either, but Carter did turn into Jagr for us and Jagr>Dvorak

deathbear 06-06-2004 01:23 AM

oh man...i know sather has done some dumb things but to blame him for this?? woooooowww....sure johnsson is good but that's about it. hlavac is flatout awful...

SingnBluesOnBroadway 06-06-2004 11:05 AM

Quote:

Maybe it's Brendl. He had a reputation of being lazy when he was drafted and really has not done much to remove that label. As far as being traded, he has failed to stick with two bad teams in the Rangers and the Hurricanes. And really what progress has been impeded? NS thought that he would play for the Rangers immediately. He is five years in since he was drafted and he still can't crack an NHL line-up (even a terrible one in CAR) one a regular basis. And don't think that has anything to do with the Rangers trading him.

rnyquist 06-06-2004 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
Maybe it's Brendl. He had a reputation of being lazy when he was drafted and really has not done much to remove that label. As far as being traded, he has failed to stick with two bad teams in the Rangers and the Hurricanes. And really what progress has been impeded? NS thought that he would play for the Rangers immediately. He is five years in since he was drafted and he still can't crack an NHL line-up (even a terrible one in CAR) one a regular basis. And don't think that has anything to do with the Rangers trading him.

Acctually towards the end of the season Brendl got hot with O'neil and was going to be left there but then Jeff was injured. Don't discount Brendl yet, he's got a long way to go but he's not a bust yet

Fletch 06-06-2004 11:37 AM

Brendl was brought along properly..

if he can learn how to work hard each shift, then perhaps he won't be moved around so much.

As for Johnsson....personally, I think very little of him. I don't think his defense is that good, although he's typically had a pretty steady partner in Philly and those forwards actually know how to backcheck. I think his offense is pretty overrated. I don't think that had he stay with the Rangers he'd look any better than Poti.

As for Devo...not sure I mind Jagr too much at this point.

Manny...can't really say he's a 'top' center. His play was pretty inconsistent.

donpaulo 06-06-2004 11:39 AM

Add to that Brendl doesn't know what a backcheck is. No wonder he has bounced around the league. His lack of dedication or what appears to be much of a work ethic is why he hasn't panned out, not because the rangers traded him.

Hlavac has great wheels, but just doesn't have top shelf finishing skills. Read that as 30 goal skates, 20 goal hands. A decent 2nd line player if he played sound defensively and used his body more. Then again I don't play NHL hockey so perhaps he feels he was using his body and backchecking, but from what I saw of him he was a floater. He will be taking valuable ice time from someone like Lundmark or Balej (on the off wing)

ABout LIndros he came to NY and had a very solid season 37 goals, 36 assists in 72 games. Remember the FLY line ?

Was that worth brendl, hlavac and johnsson ? Johnsson was buried behind Leetch (same reason Zubov was traded) so it makes sense to acquire a legit top line pivot in Lindros. Perhaps in hindsight, leetch should have left earlier and they had kept johnsson ? However johnsson is not a physical player, he is all about positioning, skating and jumping up into the play so he needs a tandem partner to be truly effective.

The canes have the lack of depth necessary to offer Brendl ice time. Hlavac jumped around and ended up back in NY. He had one good season while with Dvo and Nedved. Maybe he will sign in Edmonton. Johnsson is a very nice player, but I wouldn't call him top dman... Jovanovski, Pronger, Lidstrom, McCabe, Redden, Blake those are complete players.

Synergy27 06-06-2004 02:07 PM

Quote:

Maybe he would became one of our top players by now.

Quote:

Maybe he needs to be injured to play better.

Quote:

Maybe if we gave him time to heel...

Quote:

I cant stand peoples stupidity

Leetchie 06-06-2004 02:10 PM

:lol:

Greatest post in a long time.

Plan 9 06-09-2004 09:43 PM

I'm a few days late on this thread, but still felt the need to contribute.. For once, I think an organization is handling this kid correctly. People think he has been around forever, but he really has limited pro experience. And when he has played, he's been bounced around.

He found a steady spot this year in the AHL and did what was expected of him. Which is scoring. He played well enough to make the AHL all-star team and his good play earned him a callup with the Hurricanes. He ran with it. That is, until Bryan McCabe ran him.

I watched him play this year, and was very impressed to be honest. Especially with his passing skills, which I really hadn't heard much about. My gut feeling is that he has it made up in his mind that he is going to do what he needs to do to make and stay in the NHL.

Can't wait to see how he looks during the next training camp.

John Flyers Fan 06-09-2004 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fletch
As for Johnsson....personally, I think very little of him. I don't think his defense is that good, although he's typically had a pretty steady partner in Philly and those forwards actually know how to backcheck. I think his offense is pretty overrated. I don't think that had he stay with the Rangers he'd look any better than Poti.

I couldn't disagree more with you there. Johnsson is a very good NHL defenseman.

Would he be as good, if he continued to play in NY ? Doubtful, but that doesn't take away what he's become.

Barnaby 06-09-2004 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
I couldn't disagree more with you there. Johnsson is a very good NHL defenseman.

Would he be as good, if he continued to play in NY ? Doubtful, but that doesn't take away what he's become.

I agree.... I actually really liked Jonsson and I was more upset to see him go then Brendl or Hlavac. I didn't know he would be as steady as he has become, but I thought he brought a very solid 2-way game as a 2nd pairing d-man.

John Flyers Fan 06-09-2004 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barnaby
I agree.... I actually really liked Jonsson and I was more upset to see him go then Brendl or Hlavac. I didn't know he would be as steady as he has become, but I thought he brought a very solid 2-way game as a 2nd pairing d-man.

He's better than a 2nd pairing defenseman. He's a very very good #2, borderline #1 defenseman.

Great skater, moves the puck well, and can QB the PP.

Barnaby 06-09-2004 10:25 PM

Quote:

He's better than a 2nd pairing defenseman. He's a very very good #2, borderline #1 defenseman.

I meant thats what I thought when we traded him...

I see him as a very good #3 or solid #2 right now, but I'm sure you get to see him more then I do. Is it too late to trade Lindros back for Jonsson? ;)

John Flyers Fan 06-09-2004 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barnaby
I meant thats what I thought when we traded him...

I see him as a very good #3 or solid #2 right now, but I'm sure you get to see him more then I do. Is it too late to trade Lindros back for Jonsson? ;)

Just a bit.

Johnsson, Brashear and Kapanen is what the deal has become for the Flyers. Very nice. :p:

Barnaby 06-09-2004 10:29 PM

Quote:

Just a bit.

Johnsson, Brashear and Kapanen is what the deal has become for the Flyers. Very nice. :p:

Well.... we have Lindros.... and more crushing defeats per season then most teams see in a 10 year period.

dedalus 06-09-2004 11:00 PM

Quote:

Spoken like the Flyers fan you are, John. And yes, I DO see Johnsson as much as you do. He's a good #2 nothing more.

As for the Lindros deal, let's not pretend that the addition of Brashear is the product only of the the Lindros assets. The second rounder that Vancouver got had as much to do with that deal as Hlavac did.

John Flyers Fan 06-10-2004 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dedalus
Spoken like the Flyers fan you are, John. And yes, I DO see Johnsson as much as you do. He's a good #2 nothing more.

As for the Lindros deal, let's not pretend that the addition of Brashear is the product only of the the Lindros assets. The second rounder that Vancouver got had as much to do with that deal as Hlavac did.

#1. Johnsson is better than a good #2.

#2. The deal for Brashear was:

Hlavac & Tampa's 3rd rounder
for
Brashear & Vancouver's 6th rounder

When the Flyers got Johnsson, Brendl & Hlavac they also received a 3rd round pick from the Rangers. Yes, the trade was for a different 3rd round pick, but with essentially the same value.

dedalus 06-10-2004 06:02 PM

Quote:

#1. Johnsson is better than a good #2.

We'll agree to disagree on this.

Quote:

#2. The deal for Brashear was: Hlavac & Tampa's 3rd rounder
for Brashear & Vancouver's 6th rounder

When the Flyers got Johnsson, Brendl & Hlavac they also received a 3rd round pick from the Rangers. Yes, the trade was for a different 3rd round pick, but with essentially the same value.

Yep I misremembered the terms of the Brash deal. Your argument here is fair enough. (And people call me a troll. Can you imagine?)

klingsor 06-11-2004 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fletch

Fine, then maybe the Jackass wouldn't have felt the need to trade York.

Bottom line, we traded three assets (at the time) for a risky #1 dominating center who would lead us to the playoffs. Didn't happen and he's likely gone.

Davisian 06-11-2004 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by klingsor
Bottom line, we traded three assets (at the time) for a risky #1 dominating center who would lead us to the playoffs. Didn't happen and he's likely gone.

Not entirely correct..

Three assets were traded to avoid being a mouse for the rest of his life.

Semantics, ya' know?