HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Best Street Hockey Balls? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=823164)

Jabroni 09-27-2010 03:28 PM

Best Street Hockey Balls?

Hey I was wondering if someone knew what the best street hockey balls were.

I am looking for some that have a matte finish and are made of plastic/PVC, not rubber.

I found that D-Gel makes a few types, but I can't find the semi-soft (Street) one for the cold weather.

Anyone have any other suggestions, or help to where I can find the D-Gel balls?

budster 09-27-2010 09:37 PM

Mylec and Franklin have always worked fine for me, especially the liquid-filled ones. It gives them a good weight and reduces bounce.

--
Decoding hockey ball colors | DIY water-filled hockey ball

mikitas donut 09-27-2010 10:01 PM

I second the Mylec ones. Depending on how cold it is, you want either the pink or yellow one.

Jimmy Carter 09-27-2010 10:43 PM

Make it 3 votes for Mylec. My friends and I tried one out about 2 years ago and it's been pretty much all Mylec since for street hockey.

Jimmy Carter 09-27-2010 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by budster (Post 27984099)
Mylec and Franklin have always worked fine for me, especially the liquid-filled ones. It gives them a good weight and reduces bounce.

--
Decoding hockey ball colors | DIY water-filled hockey ball

I too like the weight of the anti-freeze balls, but they make some crazy movements cause they usually are only filled halfway, at least in my experience

EDIT: If you are going to do a DIY hockey ball like in the link, I'd recommend using anti-freeze if you're going to use it in the cold at all. Using a water filled one in the winter could turn out really nasty for the goalies or the first person to block a shot...

kirsi 09-27-2010 11:45 PM

I've been having a lot of fun with a new mylec water/liquid-filled ball. much less bouncy and and better weight compared to other balls i've tried.

ponder 09-27-2010 11:59 PM

The fluid filled balls are definitely sweet, as long as you have decent goalie equipment (or a tough goalie), cause a hard shot from one of those to unprotected skin hurts quite a bit more than a shot from a normal/air filled ball.

Blueland89 09-28-2010 10:27 AM

Haven't used it but saw the review on howtohockey i would just go with the green biscuit i know this isn't a ball but tht thing is sweet but as for a ball I just us the A & R balls cheap and reliable

ChiTownHawks 09-28-2010 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blueland89 (Post 27989833)
Haven't used it but saw the review on howtohockey i would just go with the green biscuit i know this isn't a ball but tht thing is sweet but as for a ball I just us the A & R balls cheap and reliable

The green buscuit is a good training aid, but I would not use it in a game situation. The thing is made of very thick, hard, plastic and has bearings in it that would kill the goalie. Not to mention if you took one off your shin. I think the website even mentions that it is not intended for shooting.

Blueland89 09-28-2010 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiTownHawks (Post 27990907)
The green buscuit is a good training aid, but I would not use it in a game situation. The thing is made of very thick, hard, plastic and has bearings in it that would kill the goalie. Not to mention if you took one off your shin. I think the website even mentions that it is not intended for shooting.

I thought we were talking about just playing around yeah definitely can't shoot it

budster 09-28-2010 10:10 PM

The Green Biscuit is great for practicing passing (think playing catch in baseball) and developing handling skills. But yeah, definitely not meant for game situations.

--
My review of the Green Biscuit