HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Bobrovsky and Eriksson (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=823312)

GirouxCouturier 09-27-2010 08:39 PM

Bobrovsky and Eriksson

Just a question. i know im getting waay ahead of myself and everything try to leave out the "wow calm down lets just wait now" comments its just an idea.
What if 3 years from now we have 2 legitimate starters in Bob and eriksson?
I mean we are far from that but what would we do?

Garbage Goal 09-27-2010 08:48 PM

Same thing that most teams with two starters end up doing. Boston and Montreal being recent examples.

Hold on to both of them for a while, split starts with them, and probably end up having to get rid of one of the two after a couple of years or so.

It's just not realistic or practical to have two starters. You need to have a starter and a backup. It just doesn't work cap-wise or for the players.

GirouxCouturier 09-27-2010 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garbage Goal (Post 27982860)
Same thing that most teams with two starters end up doing. Boston and Montreal being recent examples.

Hold on to both of them for a while, split starts with them, and probably end up having to get rid of one of the two after a couple of years or so.

It's just not realistic or practical to have two starters. You need to have a starter and a backup. It just doesn't work cap-wise or for the players.

Yeah. or we could just keep them forever and ever since we havent had goalies forever haha

Juicy Couturier* 09-27-2010 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by girouxrichards (Post 27982617)
Just a question. i know im getting waay ahead of myself and everything try to leave out the "wow calm down lets just wait now" comments its just an idea.

Its not all that difficult. You can either split time and go with who's hot or you play whoever is slightly better and the other can backup until a trade comes along. It wouldnt be the first time a team had 2 good goalies.

sa cyred 09-27-2010 08:58 PM

Homer trades one of them for a 6th round pick and an overpaid defense veteran?

Garbage Goal 09-27-2010 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CannonGoBoom (Post 27983099)
Its not all that difficult. You can either split time and go with who's hot or you play whoever is slightly better and the other can backup until a trade comes along. It wouldnt be the first time a team had 2 good goalies.

Yeah, there's a lot of precedence for this sort of thing. So it's not exactly a puzzle.

No matter which why you go about it, one of the two would eventually get traded (or, leave as a UFA).

chimrichalds18 09-27-2010 09:01 PM

Thought it was Clarke and Lindros...

GKJ 09-27-2010 09:14 PM

Eriksson is at least 5 years out from proving he is a #1 NHL goaltender, by that time they'll know whether or not Bobrovsky is or is not.

GirouxCouturier 09-27-2010 09:18 PM

Ok thanks hah mod you can close this if you want.

Gert B Frobe 09-27-2010 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CannonGoBoom (Post 27983099)

It would be the first time in forever that the Flyers had even 1 good goalie. I say freeze one of them like Walt Disney.

Gert B Frobe 09-27-2010 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 (Post 27983564)
Eriksson is at least 5 years out from proving he is a #1 NHL goaltender, by that time they'll know whether or not Bobrovsky is or is not.

I'd say more like 7 years after all Eriksson isn't even 15 yet. Matter of fact I think they're going to need several more years to know what they have in Bobrovsky as well - they should send him back to Russia - he's just not ready for the small ice, angles, traffic, number of shots, etc.

Mgkibbles 09-27-2010 09:43 PM

Trade one, hopefully for an elite level defenseman or high draft pick to be Pronger's replacement. Thats if everything works out perfectly, which it probably won't.

The Cheat 09-28-2010 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mgkibbles (Post 27984208)
Trade one, hopefully for an elite level defenseman or high draft pick to be Pronger's replacement. Thats if everything works out perfectly, which it probably won't.

Replacement? With the deal he has he'll be here for life.

might2mash 09-28-2010 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gert B Frobe (Post 27983994)
I'd say more like 7 years after all Eriksson isn't even 15 yet. Matter of fact I think they're going to need several more years to know what they have in Bobrovsky as well - they should send him back to Russia - he's just not ready for the small ice, angles, traffic, number of shots, etc.

Huh? He's 20. Born 04/09/1990.

We couldn't have drafted a 13-year old.

jb** 09-28-2010 08:52 AM

Quote:

What do they do if 3 years from now they both flame out and never make it?

iceman42 09-28-2010 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by might2mash (Post 27987941)
Huh? He's 20. Born 04/09/1990.

We couldn't have drafted a 13-year old.

I believe its sarcasm pointed toward the 5 year comment.

Quote:

but in all seriousness you need to calm down with all this optimistic talk. how dare you sir, how dare you. lol just messing.

options are wide open if Bobrovsky is firmly entrenched as a #1 goalie then I imagine that when Eriksson comes over in 1-3 years he will get time in the AHL, based on his performance in the AHL there might be offers made for Bobrovsky or Eriksson. Either one or the other or both may only ever show to be serviceable or even outright crap. However on the optimistic end they may both end up being the greatest goaltenders ever in the NHL .. which then 1/2 the Flyers fan will say we gave up the wrong one.

lol