HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Injury Report: Lappy out indefinitely with post-concussion syndrome (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=823493)

IrishSniper87 09-28-2010 11:05 AM

Lappy out indefinitely with post-concussion syndrome

Mod edit, September 28 conference call transcript:

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Tim-P...-Lappy/2/30430

Quote:

Courtesy of the Flyers, here is the conference call transcript from Paul Holmgren with the beat writers:

Philadelphia Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren held a conference call today to discuss injury updates on goaltender Michael Leighton and right wing Ian Laperriere. Below are his comments followed by a Q&A.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Via Twitter

@sbaicker Sarah Baicker
In addition, Laperriere is out indefinitely with post-concussion symptoms.

@DNFlyers Frank Seravalli
Ian Laperriere will be out indefinitely with post-concussion syndrome, likely because of last year's injury in the playoffs.

@tpanotch Tim Panaccio
Also: Ian Laperriere is out indenfintely with post-concussion sydrrome. wow!

To be fair, I think I actually predicted last season that Lappy would miss time this season with concussion issues. I even stated I could see him missing the entire season.

CharlieGirl 09-28-2010 11:08 AM

Oh no.... horrid news.

Get better soon Lappy.

Garbage Goal 09-28-2010 11:09 AM

...Lappy had a concussion? Am I the only one who didn't hear about this or what? Or did Homer not tell anyone something important again?

I hate losing Lappy, but at least it's not someone hard to replace (well, his shot blocking will be). I'm guessing Holmstrom or Nodl make the lineup now. Maybe Kalinski is Betts is out to start the season.

pelts35.com 09-28-2010 11:09 AM

For the sake of his health and his family, it would be probably be best for him to retire.

2fast4u2* 09-28-2010 11:09 AM

DAMN i dont like seeing this.....who is gonna fill this guys shoes???Sure as hell NOT Guerin not in my eyes.......i cant even think of someone else with the heart that Lappy has overall.......hmmmmmmmm

Centauris* 09-28-2010 11:10 AM

wow. big loss.

Shadow Flyer 09-28-2010 11:11 AM

Tough break. Get well soon Lappy.

Is it just me, or are players around the league dropping like flies?

IrishSniper87 09-28-2010 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pelts35.com (Post 27990501)
For the sake of his health and his family, it would be probably be best for him to retire.

THIS

Sadly the guy's head is all kinds of messed up. He has spent his entire career hitting people and getting into fights. The poor guys body just can't handle it anymore.

I can see him hitting the LTIR soon with retirement coming next offseason.

:(

Haute Couturier 09-28-2010 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garbage Goal (Post 27990497)
...Lappy had a concussion? Am I the only one who didn't hear about this or what? Or did Homer not tell anyone something important again?

I hate losing Lappy, but at least it's not someone hard to replace (well, his shot blocking will be). I'm guessing Holmstrom or Nodl make the lineup now. Maybe Kalinski is Betts is out to start the season.

It was probably from his brain contusion. Seravalli says Lappy wasn't honest about his symptoms so he could play.

Garbage Goal 09-28-2010 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2fast4u2 (Post 27990502)
DAMN i dont like seeing this.....who is gonna fill this guys shoes???Sure as hell NOT Guerin not in my eyes.......i cant even think of someone else with the heart that Lappy has overall.......hmmmmmmmm

Lappy is one of my favorite players, but other then his shot-blocking, he shouldn't be hard to replace. Kalinski is probably just as good of a grinder, Nodl also isn't a bad choice, and Holmstrom has seemed like an excellent checker so far. Can't think of any of our prospects that are big shot-blockers or even PKers.

KimiFerrari 09-28-2010 11:13 AM

I guess this is why Holmgren picked up Shelly? And this also might lead to us signing Guerin now.

KimiFerrari 09-28-2010 11:14 AM

Quote:

Let him stay on LTIR, collect his money and not screw us with the cap.

Win-Win

LEIFey 09-28-2010 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KimiFerrari (Post 27990580)
I guess this is why Holmgren picked up Shelly? And this also might lead to us signing Guerin now.

I dunno how I feel about that, but if that's true, at least Holmgren had the right motivations.

Get well, Lappy, season hasn't even started and I miss you already.

Garbage Goal 09-28-2010 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadow Flyer (Post 27990542)
Tough break. Get well soon Lappy.

Is it just me, or are players around the league dropping like flies?

The injury bug usually hits teams every year around the end of camp, albeit with varying severity.

At least we're not the Bruins with Savard, Sturm, and Whitfield out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Libertine (Post 27990568)
It was probably from his brain contusion. Seravalli says Lappy wasn't honest about his symptoms so he could play.

That's all part of why Lappy is an awesome player, but that's just not smart.

Kaktus* 09-28-2010 11:15 AM

****... Looks like keith primeau all over again.

Garbage Goal 09-28-2010 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KimiFerrari (Post 27990580)

How does Shelley, a guy who can't PK or shot-block or even log decent minutes or Guerin, a guy who can't really score or grind or even keep up with the speed of play (let alone PK or shot block) going to replace Lappy?

This doesn't excuse the Shelley signing.

Cleary84 09-28-2010 11:18 AM

What a warrior. Is there any Flyer who made such an impact in their first year like Lappy did?

Hopefully his absence sparks players to give their bodies up like he did. (not that they don't)

It also sucks because this ensures Shelley to get more playing time.

Vikke 09-28-2010 11:19 AM

I hope gets well soon, I love the guy.

Kaktus* 09-28-2010 11:20 AM

Now I undersstand why Bill Guerin is already apart of our team.

KimiFerrari 09-28-2010 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garbage Goal (Post 27990652)
How does Shelley, a guy who can't PK or shot-block or even log decent minutes or Guerin, a guy who can't really score or grind or even keep up with the speed of play (let alone PK or shot block) going to replace Lappy?

This doesn't excuse the Shelley signing.

We have Powe for PK, so he wanted another scrapper/hitter aka Shelly.

I know he isn't going to replace Lappy because Lappy is 10x better, but it doesn't mean Holmgren wasn't looking to fill in some void with Lappy being out.

The Guerin signing only works now because we wouldn't be forced to move someone.

I am not saying in any way that they are the correct moves, just some reasoning behind them.

RJ8812 09-28-2010 11:23 AM

Quote:

but for the sake of the team he should be Rathje'ed....right?

JXC 09-28-2010 11:23 AM

When was the injury suffered?

OriginJM 09-28-2010 11:24 AM

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

:(

Ian will retired sadly... the news should come soon.

MiamiScreamingEagles 09-28-2010 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JXC (Post 27990788)
When was the injury suffered?

It has to be associated with the injury in the playoffs.

Beef Invictus 09-28-2010 11:28 AM

arghhhhhhhhhhhh!!!