HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   U.S. Pnd Hockey Championships (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=823504)

ChiTownHawks 09-28-2010 11:58 AM

U.S. Pnd Hockey Championships

They finally announced that the Championship this year will be the weekend of January 21st-23rd at Lake Nokomis in Minneapolis. Has anyone ever gone to or played in the event? For those who have seen it is it worth the trip from Chicago to just be a spektator? Also are there any other events or things to do or is it just the games being played? I was thinking about getting a few buddies together for a road trip but I wanted to see if it would be worthwhile. Thanks.

robmneilson 09-28-2010 12:05 PM

Theres a great documentary on this event that was up for free on Hulu earlier this year, I'm sure it's not too hard to track down.

Myself and some friends were talking about going, but it looks like its a pretty high level of competition. Lots of guys with NCAA experience that would murder me and my beer leaguer friends.

ChiTownHawks 09-28-2010 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robmneilson (Post 27991509)
Theres a great documentary on this event that was up for free on Hulu earlier this year, I'm sure it's not too hard to track down.

Myself and some friends were talking about going, but it looks like its a pretty high level of competition. Lots of guys with NCAA experience that would murder me and my beer leaguer friends.

I've saw the movie last year and it is actually what really sparked my interest in the whole thing.

The level of competition seems very high and I would be going simply to watch for sure.

robmneilson 09-28-2010 02:37 PM

Oh cool, I'm sure watching it is pretty fun (especially with a flask in your pocket).

I wonder if they have lower divisions in addition to the main championship?

GopherState 09-28-2010 03:31 PM

I've played in it - such a great feeling to have dozens of games being played around you and thousands of spectators. It's definitely a sight to see for any hockey fan, but if you end up going from Chicago I would recommend trying to find a second thing to do over the weekend. There are other hockey games being played in the area (pro, college, HS) and a couple other things you can do at Nokomis, it's about the game.

Also, to answer questions previously asked, there is a separate division for the beer leaguers if they want to do it and the documentary mentioned is called "Pond Hockey."

Badger36 09-28-2010 03:33 PM

I went to it when they had it in Eagle River, WI a couple years back. It was pretty cool and if I had a group of buddies who were good enough players to be competitive at it, Id do it in a heartbeat.