HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Erik Gustafsson: Upside/Time Table (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=823523)

Qubax 09-28-2010 01:34 PM

Erik Gustafsson: Upside/Time Table

Obviously on a team stacked with the likes of

Pronger, Coburn, Carle, Timonen, Meszaros etc...you already have a ton of depth on the blueline...

but in a year or two when you need a cheaper option what are the prospects of Erik Gustafsson making the jump?

He had that nice run in the AHL at the end of last year, 7pts in 5 games...

Could he be the next Jamie McBain?

Garbage Goal 09-28-2010 01:39 PM

He's one of the many nice free agent signings Homer had last year. I think he's our best offensive d-man and I like him the most out of all of our non-goalie prospects.

Still, at this point in time he's only an average to slightly above average prospect.

Juicy Couturier* 09-28-2010 01:59 PM

I doubt he's any higher than 10 on the depth chart right now.

Pronger
Kimmo
Carle
Coburn
Mez
O'D
Walker
Bartulis
Lehtivouri
Marshall
Gusta/Bourdon/Bertlison

Would be my guess.

jb** 09-28-2010 01:59 PM

Just another in a long line of flyers dman who were overhyped and never panned out. Sorry being very pessimistic. No risk signing that didnt cost anything. so whatever they get out of him is all gravy.

mercury 09-28-2010 02:01 PM

The organization is extremely high on him, I know that much.

Juicy Couturier* 09-28-2010 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NWO (Post 27992461)
Just another in a long line of flyers dman who were overhyped and never panned out. Sorry being very pessimistic. No risk signing that didnt cost anything. so whatever they get out of him is all gravy.

Hasn't panned out? Didn't they sign him like 5 months ago when his college season ended? I don't think he's going to be an NHL player but I don't think he "hasn't panned out" just yet.

Bourdon on the other hand seems like he isn't panning out. I remember when people around here actually believed that he was a first round talent but fell to the 3rd round because scouts didn't feel like going to his home arena in juniors because it was too far.

Garbage Goal 09-28-2010 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CannonGoBoom (Post 27992757)
Hasn't panned out? Didn't they sign him like 5 months ago when his college season ended? I don't think he's going to be an NHL player but I don't think he "hasn't panned out" just yet.

Bourdon on the other hand seems like he isn't panning out. I remember when people around here actually believed that he was a first round talent but fell to the 3rd round because scouts didn't feel like going to his home arena in juniors because it was too far.

NWO believes that all our prospects, with the exception of our two goalies, are pure crap and will never pan out. Best to ignore him.

seanerixon 09-28-2010 02:23 PM

I'm curious of what else Gus can bring to the table, he showed a bit of everything when I watched him in preseason. Hands, toughness, speed, elusiveness

CS 09-28-2010 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CannonGoBoom (Post 27992456)
I doubt he's any higher than 10 on the depth chart right now.

Pronger
Kimmo
Carle
Coburn
Mez
O'D
Walker
Bartulis
Lehtivouri
Marshall
Gusta/Bourdon/Bertlison

Would be my guess.

Bertilsson got hurt again. It's not looking good.

Juicy Couturier* 09-28-2010 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garbage Goal (Post 27992862)
NWO believes that all our prospects, with the exception of our two goalies, are pure crap and will never pan out. Best to ignore him.

I know he pretty much hates everyone which makes me question why he's even a Flyers fan but even if you think Gustafson sucks, saying he hasn't panned out is just the wrong way to describe a guy that was signed a few months ago and has looked good since.

jb** 09-28-2010 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garbage Goal (Post 27992862)

well you would be incorrect. so try again.

Garbage Goal 09-28-2010 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NWO (Post 27993073)
well you would be incorrect. so try again.

Really? What prospects besides Bob and Eriksson do you believe aren't crap?

jb** 09-28-2010 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CannonGoBoom (Post 27993045)
I know he pretty much hates everyone which makes me question why he's even a Flyers fan but even if you think Gustafson sucks, saying he hasn't panned out is just the wrong way to describe a guy that was signed a few months ago and has looked good since.

Go reread the post. I did not say he has not panned out, as you said, it is much early to say he hasnt. Nah I dont hate everyone, just dotn liek everyone liek most on here do.

jb** 09-28-2010 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garbage Goal (Post 27993098)
Really? What prospects besides Bob and Eriksson do you believe aren't crap?

Doesnt matter as you stated i hate all the prospects. I am also skeptical of the goalie prospects, i am not a hater or fanboy of either since i have not seen them play. I like Bertilson, Nodl, Mcginn, Rinaldo, Chaput, Wellwood, Kalinski. Klotz:sarcasm:. Based on what people have told me Bodrov(though only seen him a few times with the phantoms).

I have seen so many d prospects over the last 20 years get hyped up and never sniff the nhl. So i do not get to excited anymore.

Cartsiephan* 09-28-2010 03:22 PM

At this point I would take Gustaffson or Bourdon over Meszaros, man does that guy S U C K, no wonder Stevie Y let him go.

Juicy Couturier* 09-28-2010 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cartsiephan (Post 27994020)
At this point I would take Gustaffson or Bourdon over Meszaros, man does that guy S U C K, no wonder Stevie Y let him go.

Bourdon was bad for the Phantoms last year. No thanks.

Cartsiephan* 09-28-2010 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CannonGoBoom (Post 27994252)
Bourdon was bad for the Phantoms last year. No thanks.

Actually once he acclimated to the AHL game he was one of the better d-men on the roster and he has had a good showing in training camp, so I am not quite sure what you are gauging your decision on.

BillyShoe1721 09-28-2010 03:51 PM

Realistically, I don't see him on this team no matter how well he does for at least 2 years.

sa cyred 09-28-2010 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cartsiephan (Post 27994410)
Actually once he acclimated to the AHL game he was one of the better d-men on the roster and he has had a good showing in training camp, so I am not quite sure what you are gauging your decision on.

Wrong. Watched almost every AHL game last season. He was maybe the 3rd best d-man on the team behind Lehtivouri and Marshall. His skating is horrendous and he doesnt have speed. He can move the puck well and has a pretty good slapshot, but needs to get stronger on his skates.

On Gustafsson, I think the management is high on him. Played 27 minutes last preseason game, including time in OT on a 4 on 3. It will be interesting on how he does this year in the AHL. If he shows he can play solid defense (even if he is small, he has always been known to be a solid defender), he could probablly make the team next season.

Cartsiephan* 09-28-2010 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sa cyred (Post 27994593)
Wrong. Watched almost every AHL game last season. He was maybe the 3rd best d-man on the team behind Lehtivouri and Marshall. His skating is horrendous and he doesnt have speed. He can move the puck well and has a pretty good slapshot, but needs to get stronger on his skates.

On Gustafsson, I think the management is high on him. Played 27 minutes last preseason game, including time in OT on a 4 on 3. It will be interesting on how he does this year in the AHL. If he shows he can play solid defense (even if he is small, he has always been known to be a solid defender), he could probablly make the team next season.

Which is precisely what I said, he improved his skating and is working on the areas where he knows he is weak. My impression on what has been mentioned about him and what I have seen in his brief NHL preseason is he is taking steps to address his speed and skating, but he has all the other tools, thus why I would prefer him over an overpaid Meszaros.

mirimon 09-28-2010 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NWO (Post 27992461)

Seems to me like you say he's already on that list. I agree that we often get too excited about prospects, this is Hockey's Future after all, but to write off Gustafsson already is a bit premature. As all of our current Phantoms he's far from certain of ever becoming a regular NHL player, but what little I've seen has been good so far.

SolidSnakeUS 09-28-2010 04:24 PM

I honestly find that he can replace Timonen in a couple of years as well if need be.

jb** 09-28-2010 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mirimon (Post 27994922)
Seems to me like you say he's already on that list. I agree that we often get too excited about prospects, this is Hockey's Future after all, but to write off Gustafsson already is a bit premature. As all of our current Phantoms he's far from certain of ever becoming a regular NHL player, but what little I've seen has been good so far.

Not what i meant in his case as he hasnt even really played any pro hockey at all, less the what 7 games end of last year. Just saying he is in the line.

jb** 09-28-2010 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS (Post 27995066)
I honestly find that he can replace Timonen in a couple of years as well if need be.

I loev these type of comments. Based on what can he replace a top 15 nhl dman? Going just a tad overboard i would say. If he ever makes it as a solid 6th dman for a few years be happy. Replace Timmonen, wow.

sa cyred 09-28-2010 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NWO (Post 27995151)
I loev these type of comments. Based on what can he replace a top 15 nhl dman? Going just a tad overboard i would say. If he ever makes it as a solid 6th dman for a few years be happy. Replace Timmonen, wow.

Why cant he? Cause he wasnt drafted? Because he wasnt a 1st round pick? If he plays well enough on the offensive side and defense side, why cant he become a good defender? Based on what tells us that he wont be a top 4 defender?

Now maybe he doesnt become anymore more then a AHLer, but I like how you make it sound like he, at most, will be a 6th pairing guy and like its already set in stone.