HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   National Hockey League Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Playoff Beards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=82364)

championhabs 06-06-2004 01:13 PM

Playoff Beards

I was just wondering why players grow breards for the playoffs. I know that it has been a tradition in the playoffs for years but where did it orginate and why?

SopelFan* 06-06-2004 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by championhabs
I was just wondering why players grow breards for the playoffs. I know that it has been a tradition in the playoffs for years but where did it orginate and why?

It's supposed to be good luck. Although 16 teams grow them every year, and there is only 1 winner...

LaVal 06-06-2004 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SopelFan
It's supposed to be good look. Although 16 teams grow them every year, and there is only 1 winner...

and then there's some that go in reverse. Jovanovski has facial hair all season long and shaves it all off in the playoffs.

Traitor8 06-06-2004 01:27 PM

it's more like ...if u win..don't change anything..

ChemiseBleuHonnete 06-06-2004 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Komisarek8
it's more like ...if u win..don't change anything..

yes and psychologically, it's very important...

Traitor8 06-06-2004 01:36 PM

what the habs did this year was pretty stupid..
half the team couldn't grow a beard...
Souray looked so bad!

Bill McNeal 06-06-2004 01:46 PM

Well, I think the things were supposed to look cheesy. Souray's definitely did, so I think he was successful :) On the other hand, Brisebois actually looked good with the Foo Manchu.

Gibsons Finest 06-06-2004 02:05 PM

Jason Krog, last year, had a very ugly beard. I think they said he shaved under his chin so it wouldn't itch or something like that.

I even follow the playoff beard thing. Last year, I kept a beard untill I decided to shave it before a Ducks-Stars game(game 5 I think), where the Ducks got blew out. Never shaved again untill after game 7.

Traitor8 06-06-2004 02:13 PM

...Martin St-Louis shavs right under his nose...

markov` 06-06-2004 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Komisarek8
...Martin St-Louis shavs right under his nose...

:lol:

The coolest playoff beards I've seen in this playoff are Marcus Nilson and Stephane Yelle.

Vyse64 06-06-2004 06:40 PM

i'm still growing mine
since the oilers were not in the playoffs, i was using this beard as a bad luck thing for the flames, i was going to shave the beard and my head after the flames lose and still going too :D

arrbez 06-06-2004 07:14 PM

st louis' is pretty funny with the big gap under the nose. it's funny when the young guys try to grow them. tootoo could barely grow anything

musdy 06-06-2004 07:31 PM

so far who has the best and worst beard???

Canadian Chris 06-06-2004 07:44 PM

I still think the worst has got to go to Iginla...that thing is PATCH CITY!

but there are a few Flames - Gelinas, Commidor and a few others who have some solid beards, I like the tradition a lot, don't know where it actually came from, but hey, it's tradition that is carried on right down through the Junior leagues.

Ensane 06-06-2004 07:52 PM

Commidore's certainly looks pretty hearty, ditto with Dingman (although he's had more practice--see 2001). Regehr's is pretty full for a younger guy too.

Iginla's looks pretty silly. Reminds me of the Beavis and Butthead episodes when they shaved hair off their heads and glued it on various spots on their faces. :yo: rock on Iggy!

Pure Rock Fury* 06-06-2004 07:56 PM

Scott Parker had a beard already going into the playoffs, so by the third round his beard was massive. Too bad he didn't get a chance to play and show it off.

Big McLargehuge 06-06-2004 08:10 PM

It's been funny watching the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins throughout the playoffs. About 3/4 of that team can't grow beards to save their life. For the first three rounds it looked like Ryan Whitney was gluing pepper to his face.

Vinnythe[Le]Cavalier 06-07-2004 04:24 AM

Commodore and Regehr get my vote for best beard. Umm Iginla and St. Louis get the vote for worst.

monkey_00* 06-07-2004 01:42 PM

If memory serves me correct the 1980s' New York Islanders dynasty team were the ones that started with this playoff tradition.....guys like Butch Goring, Bobby Nystrom and Clark Gillies......a couple of the guys on that Islanders squad tried to grow one but couldn't like Mike Bossy for example. :lol

Cheers!~

monkey_00

Bohologo 06-07-2004 02:56 PM

Wayne Gretzky was particularly disgraceful in the facial hair department, come playoff time. Luckily guys like Coffey and Semenko could grow good scroff.

futurcorerock 06-07-2004 08:26 PM

iginla's beard looks very bad. When i first saw it, i thought he had just glued pubic hair to his cheeks. Reminded me of the southpark episode where cartman bought pubes from scott tenorman.

:joker:

MiamiScreamingEagles 06-07-2004 11:16 PM

This ESPN story talks about the 10 best traditions in hockey including playoff beards:

http://espn.go.com/nhl/best/020602.html

krooky 06-08-2004 06:08 PM

Iginla has the worst teenage beard i've ever seen. It appers to grow diagnolly or something in certain areas but when you're the best player in the World I guess you can get away with that stuff. I'd have to say Commodore had the fullest beard especially for a young guy. He challenges Eric Cole for the fullest beards among the younger players.

Frozen North 06-08-2004 06:15 PM

Dave Lowry grows a mean playoff beard...looks like Grizzly Adams.

In the 96 playoffs with Florida, it was so big, I swear he was hidding rubber rats in it!

thinkwild 06-08-2004 08:51 PM

Didnt you do this during exams too? We never shaved during exams. Probably because we could get away with it. It was like a sign of how hard we were working, no chance to shave I guess.

NJ Devils arent allowed playoff beards? Part of Lou's koolaid?