HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   I'm 25, never played hockey, live in San Diego and want to play. (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=823730)

parineum 09-28-2010 08:33 PM

I'm 25, never played hockey, live in San Diego and want to play.

I can skate okay but I don't have any equipment and no experience with a stick and puck.

I'm really not sure where to start.

Any advice would be helpful, especially from people with specifics about San Diego.

Trottier 09-28-2010 08:42 PM

Obviously, you will need to get some equipment. If you want to do it on the cheap, check out "Play It Again Sports" first (there are a couple in San Diego) or else head up to Orange County and Hockey Monkey or Hockey Giant.

Next, depending where in San Diego you live, head down to the rink at UTC (La Jolla), Iceoplex Escondido, the Kroc Center or San Diego Ice Rink (Mira Mesa).

Each rink I'm sure offers hockey beginners classes, and you'll also eventually want to attend several "stick times" to get the feel of things. (In fact, you can look that up on each rink's website.) In time, you will then be ready to join a beginner's league.

If you want, I know the hockey directors at three of the rinks and can share their names with you via PM. Might be a good place to start to touch base with them, tell them your situation and ask them for "a gameplan".

Chairman Maouth 09-28-2010 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by parineum (Post 28001688)
I can skate okay but I don't have any equipment and no experience with a stick and puck.

Any advice would be helpful, especially from people with specifics about San Diego.

I have no idea what's available in San Diego, but I recommend just starting with some skates, gloves, a stick and a puck. Get on the ice somehow and tool around a little.

parineum 09-28-2010 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trottier (Post 28001931)
Obviously, you will need to get some equipment. If you want to do it on the cheap, check out "Play It Again Sports" first (there are a couple in San Diego) or else head up to Orange County and Hockey Monkey or Hockey Giant.

Next, depending where in San Diego you live, head down to the rink at UTC (La Jolla), Iceoplex Escondido, the Kroc Center or San Diego Ice Rink (Mira Mesa).

Each rink I'm sure offers hockey beginners classes, and you'll also eventually want to attend several "stick times" to get the feel of things. (In fact, you can look that up on each rink's website.) In time, you will then be ready to join a beginner's league.

If you want, I know the hockey directors at three of the rinks and can share their names with you via PM. Might be a good place to start to touch base with them, tell them your situation and ask them for "a gameplan".

Thanks for the info and those names/numbers(if you have them) would help out a lot.

Don panch 09-28-2010 09:22 PM

I play at the rink in UTC, and like trottier said go to stick times and public skates to get the hang of it. A piece of advice, if you can they have stick times at the UTC rink on mondays at 3:15 and there is maybe me and like two other guys so you would have the whole rink to yourself. perfect for someone who can get the space to get the feel of things without having to worry of all the people buzzing around.

seldomseen 09-28-2010 09:45 PM

I'm in the same boat, but I'm 48 and never skated until a few months ago.
My few bits of advice are 1. Dont care about what enyone thinks out on the ice,just go for it.2 Get skateing lesson from a figure skater(they are the best on using thair edges). I'm a big fan of Escondido Iceoplex the hockey folks that are their in morning are great. What rink are you going to?

Splitbtw 09-28-2010 10:04 PM

I was somewhat in your boat. I played roller in high school 6 years ago and moved to San Diego a little over a year ago and decided to take up ice hockey this past March.

Play It Again Sports in Mira Mesa has a really good selection and is a good starting point for equipment. Then just look at the websites for the 4 rinks and go to a stick time that fits your schedule and take it from there. I did the same, then played pickup and recently joined a league at the Kroc Center.

Copeland 09-29-2010 01:14 AM

In your boat as well, 25 and have never played any sport before, although I'm not in San Diego (obviously lol). What I'm doing is learning to skate FIRST before I go anywhere near any pick-up hockey, and I'm taking ball hockey as well to learn the game without worrying about holding my own on the ice. I dunno if it's what you want to do, but it's one way to go about it. Guys I talked to recommended doing ball hockey to learn the motions and whatnot (not to mention conditioning...).

Of course, if you already know how to skate perfectly fine, just take a "learn to play hockey" class or something like that and by all means to go the stick & puck at a local rink.

Brodeur 09-29-2010 01:54 AM

Quote:

Been in San Diego for 12 years and counting. Locally, the Play It Again on Mira Mesa is probably your best bet for equipment although the selection is still limited. There is a pro shop at the Mira Mesa Ice rink (http://www.sdice.com/main.htm) but everything is overpriced.

Ordering online is probably the best bet. HockeyGiant's warehouse is actually located in Carlsbad, so it's possible to arrange a pickup if you live nearby. HockeyMonkey and IceWarehouse both ship out of California, so you can receive stuff pretty quickly.

Here's the site for the ice rink at UTC: http://www.icetown.com/utc/main.htm

Smaller rink, most of the games are during the weeknights which can be bothersome. Ie, getting home at midnight and not being able to get to sleep after playing.

Mira Mesa rink is decent. Good chunk of games are on the weekends. Beginner/intermediate pickup on Tuesdays.

Here's the site for the ice rink in La Mesa: http://kroccenter.org/ice-arena/

Pretty nice facility, personally haven't played there in like five years so I'm not sure if the leagues are still the same out there. But my games were always on the weekends which was nice.

Here's the site for Iceoplex in Escondido: http://www.iceoplexescondido.com/

Haven't played there, but heard that it's the nicest facility in the area.

If you're interested in roller hockey, there's a Saturday morning league at 4S Ranch in Rancho Bernardo: http://4sranchrollerhockey.net/default.aspx

The other roller hockey rink is pretty far south in Chula Vista: http://www.skatesandiego.net/

I help run a floor hockey (on foot) league in 4S as well. If you haven't played hockey before, it might be a decent place to practice your stickhandling. We play our league games on Sundays and have pickup on Thursday nights. Our site: sdfhl.org

If you have any other questions, feel free to shoot me a PM. I was 21 before I started playing, so I'd certainly know the boat you're in.

Badger36 09-29-2010 03:21 PM

Quote:

I can skate okay.

First off, working on getting that skating from okay to very good. You need to be able to skate foreward, skate backward, turn and stop quickly and without thinking about it before you even think about picking up a stick.

Grave77digger 09-30-2010 02:08 AM

At 25 it is definitely NOT to late. But you better be able to skate atleast 3 times a week doing pick up or stick time. I started 5-6 years ago when I was 26 (during the lock out). I managed 50 goals over 80 games in several seasons of adult league to go with my over 100 PIMs! Go for it and never look back you wont regret it but you have to be dedicated.

Kritter471 09-30-2010 02:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoBucky (Post 28015176)
First off, working on getting that skating from okay to very good. You need to be able to skate foreward, skate backward, turn and stop quickly and without thinking about it before you even think about picking up a stick.

I disagree. You really only need to be able to skate forward, turn (but not necessarily very sharply) and stop at all if you're picking up the game as an adult. Yes, any beginner should set aside time to specifically work on his or her skating, but for many of us, it takes years and years to be comfortable, and not playing during that timeframe is frustrating. Almost all beginner level leagues in the US cater to the players who are adequate to above average skaters.

Also, nearly all US rinks will not allow you to "tool around" in anything less than full lower body gear, helmet and elbows. You can't get on the ice with a stick in public skate, and you can't get in stick-and-puck or drop in times without shins, pants, elbows, gloves and helmet. I'm sure it has something to do with rink insurance.

For the OP, looking at the sites linked earlier, it looks like Mira Mesa has exactly the program you need.

"Ages 18+
Interested in learning to play ice hockey? Our ďAdult RookiesĒ class is just for you! Even if you donít have equipment, we have equipment to borrow. Donít be afraid, its fun! Contact us for info if you are interested in learning to play hockey! "
http://kroccenter.org/wp-content/upl...-fall-2010.jpg

You might as well check with them on the skating experience needed, but this class is likely designed for people who aren't going to be attending power skating clinics any time soon.

robmneilson 09-30-2010 08:16 AM

Def not too late to start. I played roller hockey during JH and HS and then stopped playing for ten years before picking up ice hockey. I went to an open hockey session, and went to public skating a ton of times before joining the lowest level of a beer league.

I sucked for the first season, but now I can more than hold my own and have moved up a few divisions. So just get some cheap pads (you will eventually want new stuff once you get better) and hit the ice!

BraveCanadian 09-30-2010 08:27 AM

Quote:

I have to disagree about this one as well.

Sure you need to set aside some time to work on each of your weaknesses but the most important thing is to have fun while learning.

Even if you are terrible go and try to play and have fun and you'll improve very quickly.

Then focus on the areas that aren't keeping up.

Just my 2c.

Jive Time 09-30-2010 10:06 AM

Most of what is available in SD has already been posted here so I'll just comment on a couple of programs that I feel are well suited for you that I am familiar with:

Kroc Center Ice:

Adult Hockey Skating Class
Ages 14 and over
Designed to teach hockey skating fundamentals to adults. Great for those aspiring to play ice hockey or looking for a new form of exercise.

This is a really good deal if you are just starting out. It's a half hour class on Wednesday evening and you get unlimited public skate with it. At $88 for 8 weeks, that's $11 per session. Private lessons will cost you at least $25 and it's just not necessary at this stage.

Like another poster said, from there you can move to the Adult Rookies class. Be warned that the Kroc classes fill up fast and they don't take extras so if you are interested, sign-up early!

San Diego Ice Arena:

Coach Sterling's Adult Developmental

Fridays 6:25pm - 7:25pm
Admission $15 for walk on or
4 weeks for $45

- Start Any Time, Cost Pro-rated
- Learn Skating, Passing, Stick Handling & Shooting
- Helmet & Face Mask Required, Other Equipment Optional

I'm partial to SDIA because I've been though the program and I like Craig and his staff. No matter what your skill level, they will work with you and get you on the right track. It's one hour and you will get your moneys worth.

This is based on my experience but like others have said, check out all the programs in your area. Enjoy!

tarheelhockey 09-30-2010 11:28 AM

Get a part-time job at the rink. Run the scoreboard during league games, or work Sunday afternoons, or something like that.

That gives you more or less free ice time, probably gets you a discount on league play, and gives you opportunities for stuff like free equipment or skate sharpening.

3 or 4 hours of work a week can translate to hundreds of dollars in savings if you do it right. It's a great way to break in without going broke.

Splitbtw 09-30-2010 11:45 AM

Just out of curiosity, how many of you play at the Kroc Center? Most of the time I spend playing pickup, it is there on Wednesdays or Thursdays. I also just started my first beer league season there and play on sundays. I used to sporadically to Escondido some early Saturday mornings, but the Kroc Center is by far my favorite and also happens to be the closest.

Devil Dancer 09-30-2010 12:39 PM

Quote:

If I had taken that advice when I started (age 29) it would have severely stunted my development.

IRT OP

If you've really never used a stick before, I suggest buying a cheap stick and a bunch of pucks, putting on some rollerblades and shooting against a wall as much as possible. I'm talking a couple hundred shots a day if possible. It will improve your shooting and passing quickly. Use ice hockey pucks, not street hockey pucks! They have very different weights and feels.

Also, find out if there are any beginner clinics in your area. That's where you learn the techniques you'll need to improve. If not, get some books or watch some youtube videos.

RandV 09-30-2010 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Copeland (Post 28007082)
In your boat as well, 25 and have never played any sport before, although I'm not in San Diego (obviously lol). What I'm doing is learning to skate FIRST before I go anywhere near any pick-up hockey, and I'm taking ball hockey as well to learn the game without worrying about holding my own on the ice. I dunno if it's what you want to do, but it's one way to go about it. Guys I talked to recommended doing ball hockey to learn the motions and whatnot (not to mention conditioning...).

Of course, if you already know how to skate perfectly fine, just take a "learn to play hockey" class or something like that and by all means to go the stick & puck at a local rink.

Yeah I don't know if it's the optimal plan but this method worked pretty well for me. I played lots of ball hockey while in college, then afterwords when I was set up and ready to move into hockey I took a beginners power skating class first, from a guy who really knew how to skate and drilled the basics into you. Then I took the same class again while I got started in my first official beginners league/team, and it really gave me a leg up on the competition.

If you aren't really able to skate at all it's fine to get comfortable public skating, but it's another level entirely to learn how to hockey skate comfortably in full gear with a stick.

10 ft. pole 09-30-2010 07:19 PM

Quote:

Good for you. You will most likely top out at a low level though. Generally people who do not start playing as kids have a hard time improving to a higher skill set. Just focus on having fun and not being a hack.