HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Colorado Avalanche (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Prospect Info: Mark Olver (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=824071)

Duchene2MacKinnon 09-29-2010 05:51 PM

Mark Olver

So, he still has not been cut but nobody here really talks about him. I dont know much about, has anyone seen him play? Can he make the team this year and whats his potential?

shadow1 09-29-2010 06:09 PM

Really skilled in college, don't know what to say other than that. I could see him filling in on one of the top two lines if injuries hit us hard—again—this year.

Freudian 09-29-2010 06:18 PM

Seeing as Olver played and Porter sat last game, I'm not sure Olver is the man out. Shattenkirk sat and Holos/Cohen played last game and we know how that ended.

CB Joe 09-29-2010 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freudian (Post 28018198)
Seeing as Olver played and Porter sat last game, I'm not sure Olver is the man out. Shattenkirk sat and Holos/Cohen played last game and we know how that ended.

But is Olver's game really suited for a bottom 6 role?

edit: has he ever played wing in college or preseason?

Stories 09-29-2010 06:48 PM

Olver is a incredibly shifty player out there. He's got incredibly on-ice vision, and he has creativity all over him. His puck possession skills are top notch. Top notch playmaker (in college anyway).

The major knock on him is his size (he's probably Hensick sized). He's never played a defensive role before, but he does play with a lot of heart, and he has an ok defensive game, though it's not his area of strength.

The Angry Teatowel 09-30-2010 03:13 AM

I don't think we have a true bottom 6 though. Our 4th line is likely our crash'n'bang line, with the 3rd line being a more physical scoring/hard to play against line than a true defence first unit. Each line has defensively responsible players and the way the NHL is going kind of renders the idea of a top 6 scoring and bottom 6 defensive obselete, to a degree.

Alex Jones 09-30-2010 08:05 AM

I kind of dont want him, because I don't see where he fits. I guess Stoa could play fourth line? Not huge on it, but it could work.

chewey 09-30-2010 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jailbait (Post 28028941)
I kind of dont want him, because I don't see where he fits. I guess Stoa could play fourth line? Not huge on it, but it could work.

I say let him develop in the AHL! As for Stoa on the fourth line. No. Just no.

Creamy Freshness 09-30-2010 09:28 AM

He's from Burnaby, BC. I hear some good players have come out of that place.

NWAvsFan 09-30-2010 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Creamy Freshness (Post 28029727)
He's from Burnaby, BC. I hear some good players have come out of that place.

Bust.

Duchene2MacKinnon 09-30-2010 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CBJoe (Post 28018696)
But is Olver's game really suited for a bottom 6 role?

edit: has he ever played wing in college or preseason?

Id also like to know this, it seems that nobody here really has gotten a chance to see him play.

niwotsblessing 09-30-2010 09:23 PM

He had 2 goals in 6 games in LEM last season, after finishing his college season. He'd be fun between Winnick and Highlander.

Joe Sakic 09-30-2010 09:28 PM

I was at the Dallas game Tuesday night and this kid looked GREAT. He looks like a great 3rd/4th line player and possibly 1st/2nd if we are plagued with injuries. He was all over the ice on Tuesday and had an amazing fore check. Very skilled with the puck along the boards and created several good chances all night long. Also, he was playing with McCleod and Winnik (I think) and he still looked like he was dominating all game long.