HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Vancouver Canucks (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   OT: fall floor/ball hockey leagues in Lower Mainland (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=824168)

Reverend Mayhem 09-29-2010 09:28 PM

fall floor/ball hockey leagues in Lower Mainland

Me and my buddy who play spring roller hockey want to join a fall floor or ball hockey league. Which would you recommend? Preferably in the GVRD. Plz and thx. :yo:

CCF23 09-29-2010 09:42 PM

I'd be interested in this as well.

rye&ginger 09-29-2010 09:44 PM

Learn to skate you traitors.

CCF23 09-29-2010 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rye&ginger (Post 28024100)

Can't afford all the gear for ice hockey right now :(

rye&ginger 09-29-2010 11:00 PM

yeah, and ice time/league fees are a beach also.

David Booth Fan 09-29-2010 11:13 PM

Yeah I live in Coquitlam, the Planet Ice league is like 800 bucks for the year or something :(

timw33 09-29-2010 11:23 PM

Could join a competitive intramural team at the university I would assume. I play in the one at Uvic and assume UBC would have one too.

Reverend Mayhem 09-30-2010 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timw33 (Post 28026213)
Could join a competitive intramural team at the university I would assume. I play in the one at Uvic and assume UBC would have one too.

That would definitely be interesting. Anyone over there have room for a 5'8 160 lb. grinder who's a little out of shape? :sarcasm:

Quote:

Originally Posted by rye&ginger (Post 28024100)

$$$$$$$$$$$$

Also, I probably would be playing rep hockey right now if I decided to take skating lessons when I was 4 instead of nothing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Outraged666 (Post 28026055)
Yeah I live in Coquitlam, the Planet Ice league is like 800 bucks for the year or something :(

Wow. That's a far cry off the 100 or so bucks they charge for roller hockey.

timw33 09-30-2010 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem (Post 28027290)
That would definitely be interesting. Anyone over there have room for a 5'8 160 lb. grinder who's a little out of shape? :sarcasm:

Probably every team. Especially a singles team.

AntonRodin* 09-30-2010 12:58 AM

Watch out, you people might tear your ACL.

ZyggZagg 09-30-2010 01:04 AM

I would be interested in this as well. I was looking to play hockey again after not playing since I was 12 or so (7 years ago), went to some hockey lessons / power skating to see if I could still handle it. I can't skate at all anymore, and wow am I out of shape.

This could tide me over while I learn to skate again or something :P

Anyone got room for a 6'0 or 6'1 220 pounder who has no endurance to speak of? :P

DFAC 09-30-2010 01:11 AM

Someone should start a ball hockey league at SFU. :handclap:

m9 09-30-2010 01:19 AM

FVBHL is alright, but the whole fall league is out in Langley.. which might not interest most people.

Arenex in New West is decent, too.

Bougieman 09-30-2010 03:51 AM

Most of the community centers have pick-up games you can join in. Give the closest one near you a call or just drop in and see if there is a board with postings.

ZombieMatt 09-30-2010 11:37 AM

There must be some options. Even in Victoria there's are active leagues that run Sept-March and April-early July, plus the UVic option someone above mentioned.

raygunpk 10-02-2010 02:44 AM

http://www.vbhl.ca/ <- 2 tiers, 11 teams, stat tracking

http://www.urbanrec.ca/default.aspx?id=Floor+Hockey <- this one looks more casual

Blaster 10-02-2010 06:16 PM

I'm in my second season in the NWBHL and first in the FVBHL.

NWBHL is played in a smaller gymnasium, but it is probably the best run league in the lower mainland. The only stat it doesn't keep full track of is +/-, but is the only league that I know of that always keeps track. The smaller gym makes the game a bit unique in that shots will come from everywhere. It's a smaller league, broken down into an "A" and "B" division of about 5 to 7 teams each. Games are two 20 minute run-time halves. This is a league that has a fairly high skill level, but the smaller gym is definitely tailored to those who are a bit older or out of shape since there is no where near as much running to get around. It's the type of league that you can start playing while young and play for years after. The league also does weekly power rankings for people into that sort of thing.

The Frasers (FVBHL) are played on full sized ice rinks and only allow changes on the fly, and on stoppages for the offensive zone icing face-offs and for teams on the power-play as long as it is not an offensive zone face off. You really have to be at least have some sort of cardio form since if you get hemmed in, you're not getting off when your goalie covers up or if you put the other team offside. This takes some getting used to, but once you do it can easily be taken advantage of and really forces players to take quick shifts. Because the league is much MUCH bigger than the Ndub it takes far longer to compile stats or keep very accurate stats, so they only focus on goals and assists. The major downside from this to the springs counterpart (Western Ball Hockey League) is that all the games are in Langley as pointed out already. I'd suggest this league for people who like having a lot of room to move and don't mind having to really always be running.

Both leagues use full size regulation nets and require at least helmets and gloves to play with. Reffing is fair in both leagues, infact you'll see some of the same refs.

If you're just looking for drop-in non-serious stuff (and you have access to a vehicle) I'd suggest North Van. Parkgate community center on Monday nights and John Braithwaite community center on Tuesday nights are the two best I've found for drop ins.

Backwash 10-03-2010 12:51 PM

I've been playing in the FVBHL for 15 years, and have had many stints in both new west leagues. FVBHL has been operating for almost 30 years and is mainly a spring league out of planet ice in Coquitlam, with the sportsplex opening in Langley a few years back, a inter league opened up. The change on the fly rule only came into effect when Sportsplex cut the floor time per game by 15 minutes. The spring league has no such change on the fly rule.

If your out of shape, you can still play on the big floor, it gets you into shape pretty quick, and being in Langley isn't really that far as its right beside the Colossus theatre off the freeway. Games are Sat/Sun from 11am to about 8pm. The fvbhl is a better run league than the new west ones IMO

New west league is nice because of the oversized gym its played in, but it caters more to the big shot as you can score from beside your own net. Both are equally worthy as they both have an upside, and downfalls.

m9 10-03-2010 03:29 PM

Yeah, out of the stuff that's a legit ball hockey league.. FVBHL is a good way to go if you're fairly athletic. If you're a smarter but possibly slower player.. the New West league is the way to go.

Daryl 10-04-2010 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CCF23 (Post 28024043)
I'd be interested in this as well.

Me too...

Kagee* 10-06-2010 02:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bougieman (Post 28028156)
Most of the community centers have pick-up games you can join in. Give the closest one near you a call or just drop in and see if there is a board with postings.

Yes, I've played at Britannia and RayCam, along with some at SFU as well, just got to check out their info people.

Reverend Mayhem 11-21-2011 02:23 AM

I'll have to necro this thread, because I didn't get to join any kind of hockey leagues in a year and a half and damn, I'm itching to play competitive ball hockey.

So...who's down to start an HF ball hockey team? :P

The Optimist 11-21-2011 03:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem (Post 39736415)
So...who's down to start an HF ball hockey team? :P

I would love to. A potential problem is that everyone is likely spread out so it would make choosing a venue difficult.

I seem to remember that efforts were made to meet at Queen Elizabeth Park during the summer for some drop in hockey at the tennis courts (this might have been a few years ago mind you). I hope we can repeat that come June.

Reverend Mayhem 11-21-2011 03:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Optimist (Post 39736975)
I would love to. A potential problem is that everyone is likely spread out so it would make choosing a venue difficult.

I seem to remember that efforts were made to meet at Queen Elizabeth Park during the summer for some drop in hockey at the tennis courts (this might have been a few years ago mind you). I hope we can repeat that come June.

considering the time is right, I know of at least 8 people that would be interested.

BOOM

That's a game right there. I'd imagine it would be a challenge to get there, though. Does that park have nets already there?

ZyggZagg 11-21-2011 04:49 AM

I would be interested in going, although I haven't played any sports for years and I'm pretty out of shape at this point. I'm also trying to move away from Vancouver (not for lack of love of the city :P), but that won't happen for a few months at least.

The biggest problem, for me, is that I don't drive and I really can't be bothered to take a ton of buses to get somewhere :P