HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Proposal: Tor-Edm (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=824568)

CommanderShepard15 09-30-2010 10:48 PM

Tor-Edm

Toronto gets
Dustin Penner
3rd rounder

Edmonton gets
Carl Gunnarson

The Bored Man 09-30-2010 10:56 PM

Hell no. Oilers have two similar players to Gunnarson in Whitney and Gilbert. You want them to then trade their only proven goal scorer for him AND throw in a pick?

CommanderShepard15 09-30-2010 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoredMan (Post 28042478)
Hell no. Oilers have two similar players to Gunnarson in Whitney and Gilbert. You want them to then trade their only proven goal scorer for him AND throw in a pick?

If it means giving: Eberle, Hall, Parvarri, Omark and Ganger top 6 ice time along with Hemsky. Yes i do.

OilerTyler 09-30-2010 11:08 PM

If we are going to trade Penner for a defenceman, we will be looking for someone more proven than Gunnarson.

Spawn 09-30-2010 11:10 PM

Makes no sense for the Oilers to trade a 30g 60p power forward for a young d-man like this.

Especially adding in the pick. Terrible

OilerTyler 09-30-2010 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PuckInTheNet (Post 28042614)
If it means giving: Eberle, Hall, Parvarri, Omark and Ganger top 6 ice time along with Hemsky. Yes i do.

We don't want to give all of those players top six minutes, that is way too much inexperience in the top six. It would be better for us to hold onto Penner/Hemsky/Horcoff to play some tough minutes against other team's top pairings so that the kids can play in more sheltered roles.

Leafidelity 09-30-2010 11:12 PM

No thanks. Gunnarsson and his contract are needed in Toronto.

voxel 09-30-2010 11:16 PM

Toronto needs to be adding a pick(I'd say two 2nd rounders), not Edmonton. Gunnarson isn't proven top-4 yet IMO.

htpwn 09-30-2010 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by voxel (Post 28042731)
Toronto needs to be adding a pick(I'd say two 2nd rounders), not Edmonton. Gunnarson isn't proven top-4 yet IMO.

Toronto doesn't add anything because Gunnarsson isn't going anywhere.:)

The irony is actually kind of comical. Gunnarsson is "unproven" yet Penner, who Oiler fans couldn't wait to dump on someone, anyone last year is a sure thing for 30G.

OilerTyler 09-30-2010 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htpwn (Post 28042760)
Toronto doesn't add anything because Gunnarsson isn't going anywhere.:)

The irony is actually kind of comical. Gunnarsson is "unproven" yet Penner, who Oiler fans couldn't wait to dump on someone, anyone last year is a sure thing for 30G.

No one in this thread said Penner is a sure thing for 30 goals next season. One person called him a 30 goal, 60 point power forward, but that is exactly what he is as of right now. Gunnarson has played 43 games in the NHL in his career, that isn't a very large sample size.

s7ark 09-30-2010 11:25 PM

Hehe. I like how we give up the pick too, for a guy with 1/2 an NHL season. Funny, funny stuff. Thx OP :)

htpwn 09-30-2010 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paajallberle (Post 28042835)
No one in this thread said Penner is a sure thing for 30 goals next season. One person called him a 30 goal, 60 point power forward, but that is exactly what he is as of right now. Gunnarson has played 43 games in the NHL in his career, that isn't a very large sample size.

No but I have seen it in other threads. The point was though that Oilers fans should be careful in throwing out the "unproven" label as there's no guarantee Penner doesn't return to his 17 goal, 37 point form from a year ago.

missinthejets 09-30-2010 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htpwn (Post 28042876)
No but I have seen it in other threads. The point was though that Oilers fans should be careful in throwing out the "unproven" label as there's no guarantee Penner doesn't return to his 17 goal, 37 point form from a year ago.

unlikely he'd return to the form of one of his worst seasons. he's shown he's more like a 25 goal player than an under 20 goal player throughout the totality of his career.

OilerTyler 09-30-2010 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htpwn (Post 28042876)

That was more of a coaching thing than a Penner thing though. It was no secret that MacTavish disliked Penner, and it definately affected Penner's play. If you look at his two seasons under coaches not named MacTavish, he has put up 29 and 32 goals. Not too shabby.

Dark Knight 09-30-2010 11:47 PM

Yeah that ain't happening from Edmonton's perspective. We need to add to Gunnarson for Edmonton to consider it.

I think Gunnarson is a solid starting point, but Edmonton will ask for more.

From Toronto's perspective, even though Dustin Penner will be much welcomed here, we won't be willing to give Nazem Kadri or Brad Ross for him. Just not in the position to do so.

The most I'd do is Gunnarson and a 2nd '11.

thadd 09-30-2010 11:48 PM

Is it safe to say "in before the lock?"

I know some Leafs fans are high on Carl Gunnarson, but this is ********. On Toronto Penner would without a doubt be their second best forward...next to Kessel assuming they both play a full season.

Penner is a first line talent. Not elite, but a first line talent for sure and he's still young.

Carl Gunnarson IMO is a decent 4th or 5th defenseman.

The fact that he had Edmonton throw in a third rounder is just a slap in the face.

I think OP is either really drunk or screwing with us.

thadd 09-30-2010 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hot Fuss (Post 28043107)
Yeah that ain't happening from Edmonton's perspective. We need to add to Gunnarson for Edmonton to consider it.

I think Gunnarson is a solid starting point, but Edmonton will ask for more.

From Toronto's perspective, even though Dustin Penner will be much welcomed here, we won't be willing to give Nazem Kadri or Brad Ross for him. Just not in the position to do so.

The most I'd do is Gunnarson and a 2nd '11.

Does Toronto even have a second rounder next year?

If they do, I think we could say that's all Toronto can afford to cough up.

I don't think you could call me crazy for suggesting that Edmonton would get much more from other teams.

Dark Knight 10-01-2010 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thadd (Post 28043124)
Does Toronto even have a second rounder next year?

If they do, I think we could say that's all Toronto can afford to cough up.

I don't think you could call me crazy for suggesting that Edmonton would get much more from other teams.

I don't know if you'll get much more. Its extremely hard to gauge Penner's value to other teams right now. He had a pretty good year last year, but teams will bring up the fact that he had it on the worst team in the league. Some teams would then bring his price tag up, and could also disclose their concern about whether or not Penner would be able to duplicate the season he had last year.

Personally, I think he can. We have a need in Toronto for a player who fits Penner's description to a T. We need a big winger who can skate and score, and that's why I'm willing to give up a promising young defenseman, and a 2nd rounder.

jumptheshark 10-01-2010 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PuckInTheNet (Post 28042372)
Toronto gets
Dustin Penner
3rd rounder

Edmonton gets
Carl Gunnarson

dude

be prepared banged hard by oiler fans

you are not getting Penner for a guy who has only 43games and 15pts--even if he is 24 and adding the draft pick from the oilers--that is just begging to get slammed

it is like oiler fans offering Plante for Kadri

leafsfuture 10-01-2010 12:11 AM

Value not even close. Penner scored 32 goals last year. Gunnarsson has played like 8 career games more than that.

NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS 10-01-2010 01:17 AM

Nah Edmonton Passes on this deal but I still like Gunnarsson

Hampe 10-01-2010 01:36 AM

Certainly one of the worse Penner propsals I've seen.

The pick is just a kick in the crotch.

EucaLEAFtys 10-01-2010 01:46 AM

Not sure that Burke would want Penner given the history between them.

Sure, Penner would be a useful player for the Leafs, but I can't see them acquiring him without sending some serious cap-space back. Toronto is too close to (if not still over) the cap and couldn't absorb Penner's cap-hit anyway.

As for trading Gunnarsson, that's unlikely to happen as he's likely to take over from Beauchemin in a season or two. Also, Gunnarsson's cap-hit is very cap-friendly which the Leafs need right now.

Regarding the draft pick, it's the only one they currently have in the first three rounds and they are not likely to give it up.

With all that said, I'd have to decline all of the above proposals.

93gilmour93 10-01-2010 01:32 PM

more leafs/oilers trades lol

HemskyToHall* 10-01-2010 01:39 PM

Remove the pick, add D'Amigo and Blacker I'd consider it.