HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Steve Zipay: Rangers "should take a swing" on O'Brien (O'Brien Clears Waivers) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=825198)

OleOleOleOleBureBure 09-28-2010 11:58 PM

Rangers "should take a swing" on O'Brien (O'Brien Clears Waivers)

it looks like he is the odd man out in vancouver. i really hope sather gets him here. we need that type of player. sather tried to get him 3 years ago when he was in anaheim but he was moved to tampa for a 1st rounder.

NY Ranger86 09-29-2010 12:21 AM

XLJ 09-29-2010 12:59 AM

I'm not really a fan of his. I dont think he is a good defenseman. He is kind of like Exelby. Sure he can play physical but he sucks.

Radek27 09-29-2010 01:09 AM

Yeah if we just cut Exelby and Semenov I doubt we are looking for veteran help on D.

RangerFan10 09-29-2010 01:33 AM

pass.

DrZoidberg 09-29-2010 01:38 AM

We have McDonagh, Gilroy, Valentenko and Eminger competing for the last couple D spots. What makes you think we're going to need O'Brien?

Edit: Knew I was forgetting someone. Sauer, too.

NugentHopkinsfan 09-29-2010 01:44 AM

I don't find the Exelby comparison accurate at all. I've seen a lot of Exelby and he's a guy who goes out of position to throw checks. O'Brien doesn't do that, in fact he doesn't throw as many hits as people think. A lot of his ''physical'' play comes after the whistles in scrums and beaking matches. If he would simply stay within his abilities he would be a very good number 5 d-man but at times he tries to do too much with the puck instead of making the simple outlet pass or play off the boards. He's had ongoing conditioning issues but has looked very good so far. He had one bad game but so did the rest of his team. He's had issues in the past where he hasn't wanted to fight as much as the coaching staff wanted and loves the nightlife a ton and that could be a problem in New York.

He's not a bad player, he's a solid third pair guy with great size and good enough ability. He's just very immature and difficult at times.

He actually played some really good hockey last year when paired with Christian Ehrhoff. If his minutes are 16-18 a night and he's paired with someone who can skate and breakout he's solid.

I'd much rather have him than Eminger or last years version of Gilroy. Not sure about the other guys since I haven't been able to see any of your games so far.

bleedblue94 09-29-2010 04:04 AM

sather actually did not try to get him at all. burke called him and offered him to glen BEFORE he sent him to tampa bay bc burke was just looking for an extra 1st rounder that year to work another deadline deal. glen said thanks but no thanks....
this was widely reported after the deadline.

SML 09-29-2010 04:27 AM

In the not too distant past, I would be for this. Not now. We have a bunch of young guys who came in here ready to play and compete for a spot. They busted their ***** all through camp and have played very well. To pull the rug out from under them by filling their spot with a veteran would be a mistake, IMO. Not to mention, Conditioning issues+ Tortorella drills = failure. I'm not saying there is no veteran I would bring in right now, but it's not Shane OBrien.

Lone Ranger 09-29-2010 04:36 AM

No thanks, I just don't believe he's appreciably better than what we already have.

FOXHOUND* 09-29-2010 07:18 AM

Absolutely no reason for him here

x BEUKEBOOM x 09-29-2010 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SML (Post 28007766)
In the not too distant past, I would be for this. Not now. We have a bunch of young guys who came in here ready to play and compete for a spot. They busted their ***** all through camp and have played very well. To pull the rug out from under them by filling their spot with a veteran would be a mistake, IMO. Not to mention, Conditioning issues+ Tortorella drills = failure. I'm not saying there is no veteran I would bring in right now, but it's not Shane OBrien.

Nice post.

Fans forget sometimes that there is so much more that goes into the game then what looks good on paper.

Vitto79 09-29-2010 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RangerFan10 (Post 28007198)
pass.

ditto, just go with Valentenko if they want toughness

I Am Chariot 09-29-2010 07:41 AM

Just cut the D vets at camp. Plus Shane fell out of favor because he decided he doesnt want to beat guys up anymore. He would be the new whipping boy at MSG with a skill set and attitude like that.

Garv23 09-29-2010 08:06 AM

This guy is NOT a good defense man. He's more of a penalty machine than Exelby and with pretty much the same skill set.

No thanks!

NYROrtsFan 09-29-2010 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HenrikSedinFan (Post 28007259)
I don't find the Exelby comparison accurate at all. I've seen a lot of Exelby and he's a guy who goes out of position to throw checks. O'Brien doesn't do that, in fact he doesn't throw as many hits as people think. A lot of his ''physical'' play comes after the whistles in scrums and beaking matches. If he would simply stay within his abilities he would be a very good number 5 d-man but at times he tries to do too much with the puck instead of making the simple outlet pass or play off the boards. He's had ongoing conditioning issues but has looked very good so far. He had one bad game but so did the rest of his team. He's had issues in the past where he hasn't wanted to fight as much as the coaching staff wanted and loves the nightlife a ton and that could be a problem in New York.

He's not a bad player, he's a solid third pair guy with great size and good enough ability. He's just very immature and difficult at times.

He actually played some really good hockey last year when paired with Christian Ehrhoff. If his minutes are 16-18 a night and he's paired with someone who can skate and breakout he's solid.

I'd much rather have him than Eminger or last years version of Gilroy. Not sure about the other guys since I haven't been able to see any of your games so far.

Appreciate it.

And there is definitely a big difference between guys who play physical during play and just the extra stuff after the whistle. Not as much use for those types of guys. Give me the ones who can actually punish people during play.

Loffen 09-29-2010 08:51 AM

SOB is a ****ing meathead. Pass.

SomE 09-29-2010 09:13 AM

I don't see why you guys aren't all for bringing in a guy that brings nothing to the table with a cap hit over 1 mil ?! What's gotten into you guys.

Matteau Matteau 09-29-2010 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NY Ranger86 (Post 28006631)

Always loved that. O'Brien looks like a p_ussy when Aves takes the stick right out of his hands.

Puckface NYR* 09-29-2010 10:09 AM

The Rangers have a tough makeup as it is this season with Prust, Avery, Boogy etc...there is no need for someone like OB who takes to many penalties and if what HenrikSedinFan is saying about the nightlife that really scares me

This team is of such a young makeup that the last thing we need is some guy coming in here whose going out and partying all the time....people like drury, prospal etc who can show them how to be classy hockey players is what i want.

The rangers had locker room issues in the past and i really dont want that to happen again...big PASS

ThisYearsModel 09-29-2010 10:15 AM

Sing it with me now........................

.....all we are saying........is give Valentenko a chance.............

RGY 09-29-2010 10:32 AM

PASS

Let Valentenko get a chance to show he can do the same things as O'Brien which shouldnt be very hard.

MeltingPlastic 09-29-2010 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jagr68NYR94Leetch (Post 28010263)
PASS

Let Valentenko get a chance to show he can do the same things as O'Brien which shouldnt be very hard.

exactly... the guy was worth a 1st round 3 years ago... hes not worth anything right now

IAMREALITY 09-29-2010 11:53 AM

Another pass.

OleOleOleOleBureBure 09-29-2010 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HenrikSedinFan (Post 28007259)

Very well put. I agree with everything you said. We need exactly this type of player as the 5 guys fighting for the last 2 spots dont bring what obrien brings.