HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Give me shooting tips/techniques. (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=825282)

Garfinkel1 10-02-2010 07:08 PM

Give me shooting tips/techniques.

Hey guys.

I started playing ice hockey again after maybe 10-15 years (I played back when I was very young but switched to Roller Hockey Goalie) and my shot is terrible. The other parts to my game have all come together but I can't seem to get much power in my shots. I have a pretty strong upper body strength so it's 100% my technique that's holding me back.

From my understanding... when I go to take a wrist shot I ..

1. get the puck on the inside of the heel of my stick
2. slide the puck forward on my stick - [at this point the puck rolls to the tip of the blade]
3. I kinda flip my wrist and point the blade towards where I want to shoot.
I'm not really sure about the weight transfer part... I try but I don't know if I'm doing it.

I seem to have the accuracy and lead my team in goals (Only 2 goals in 2 games :laugh:) but I have been in the situations where if I could get off some decent power I would have a good scoring chance but chose not to shoot because it doesn't make sense for me to..

So, Explain to me how to take a wrist shot/slap shot and give me as much details as possible...

I've been reading things like this article but no real difference in my shot...http://www.talkicehockey.co.uk/guide...wristshot.html

My info
Height:5'5
Weight:140 LBS

I use the Bauer Vapor X-Pro. I got the stick as a gift and I don't really know if it's a good stick or not.

http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/9870/photony.jpg http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/4633/photo2km.jpg

Jarick 10-02-2010 07:21 PM

First, you need a different stick! At 5'5 140 you should be using an intermediate 65 flex, not a 102 flex! Those are more made for people over 6' and 200 pounds! Getting a smaller stick should help transfer energy into the shot.

I'd start with the basic wrist shot and work from there. If you have good balance, you should get a good wrist shot easily. Check this video out:

If you skate hard and get some forward momentum then propel the shot like they say with a whippier stick, you should see a lot more power. :yo:

Garfinkel1 10-02-2010 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jarick (Post 28070990)
First, you need a different stick! At 5'5 140 you should be using an intermediate 65 flex, not a 102 flex! Those are more made for people over 6' and 200 pounds! Getting a smaller stick should help transfer energy into the shot.

I'd start with the basic wrist shot and work from there. If you have good balance, you should get a good wrist shot easily. Check this video out:

If you skate hard and get some forward momentum then propel the shot like they say with a whippier stick, you should see a lot more power. :yo:

I see haha. Thanks for the heads up, I'll have to go buy a new stick now.

You think that's the main reason my shot is so weak? Also, what stick would you recommend?

[I'll watch the video's in 6 min when the Rangers/OTT game goes to intermission]

Jarick 10-02-2010 08:00 PM

I don't think any stick will make a bad shooter good or vice versa. Cheap sticks tend to feel like crap IMO...you can even buy a cheap wood stick but sometimes those are built like crap and don't last long. Whatever works for you. But yeah, a 102 flex at full length is probably stiff for you, and then you have to cut about 8" off to get it to your nose in bare feet (starting place for a hockey stick length) and it's likely 130+ flex, which is like Zdeno Chara stiff.

Check out my blog at wildabouthockey.blogspot.com and I write WAY too much about hockey sticks and shooting.

HowToHockey 10-03-2010 09:14 AM

Take a look at my article the two types of wrist shots

That will give you an idea about technique, if you have the time I have a bunch of articles on the site, and videos too if you don't feel like reading :D

To get full power you need good technique, shoot a lot of pucks, that will help you build the muscle memory

Garfinkel1 10-03-2010 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jarick (Post 28072048)
I don't think any stick will make a bad shooter good or vice versa. Cheap sticks tend to feel like crap IMO...you can even buy a cheap wood stick but sometimes those are built like crap and don't last long. Whatever works for you. But yeah, a 102 flex at full length is probably stiff for you, and then you have to cut about 8" off to get it to your nose in bare feet (starting place for a hockey stick length) and it's likely 130+ flex, which is like Zdeno Chara stiff.

Check out my blog at wildabouthockey.blogspot.com and I write WAY too much about hockey sticks and shooting.

Quote:

Originally Posted by beavboyz (Post 28078084)
Take a look at my article the two types of wrist shots

That will give you an idea about technique, if you have the time I have a bunch of articles on the site, and videos too if you don't feel like reading :D

To get full power you need good technique, shoot a lot of pucks, that will help you build the muscle memory

Thanks for the good reads. I'll see how my shot at my game today. I read your blogs and they offered some good advice.

Jerry Lundegaard 10-03-2010 04:34 PM

check your stick length. shoot from the hip, get your legs into it. shift your weight.

ponder 10-03-2010 04:45 PM

One thing that I know really helped me - practice taking tonnes of shots (on ice/skates preferably) WITHOUT a puck. Just really focus on getting a good flex in your stick during the wrist shot motion, do it over and over and over until it becomes muscle memory. Really drive that bottom hand down into the ice, make your stick flex and get that good whippy feel. After you get a nice consistent flex in your stick when taking fake wrist shots without a puck, start doing it with the puck. And don't focus at all on raising the puck, if you think about raising it youll just flip it up weakly, if you get good flex on your stick itll rise up nicely all by itself.

Your shot is unlikely to improve in game, you really need lots of practice at stick and puck sessions. And yes, for your size and height I'd go with an intermediate stick, a 67 flex would be just right, you'll have a tonne of trouble trying to flex your current stick which is probably about a 120+ after cutting it down so much.

Islander102 10-03-2010 05:20 PM

1) Dont use a 100 flex. You dont have to use a 65 or anything like that, but stick to 87 or below.

2) Your arms and wrists can be perfect but if you dont have your legs in the shot, nothing is going to happen. work on leaning with your legs into your shot while you take it. No matter what type of shot youre taking, even a quick snapper, you have to lean into it with your legs or its just going to wobble off. Watch the videos posted, they tell you exactly what you have to do, which is most important. When you know what you have to do, it becomes very easy to learn with a few practices. Getting the idea is the hardest part, and these videos are great.

Headcoach 10-03-2010 06:56 PM

Before we go taking about flex...check this out. It just might help.

Head coach

trtaylor 10-03-2010 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ponder (Post 28085500)
One thing that I know really helped me - practice taking tonnes of shots (on ice/skates preferably) WITHOUT a puck. Just really focus on getting a good flex in your stick during the wrist shot motion, do it over and over and over until it becomes muscle memory. Really drive that bottom hand down into the ice, make your stick flex and get that good whippy feel. After you get a nice consistent flex in your stick when taking fake wrist shots without a puck, start doing it with the puck. And don't focus at all on raising the puck, if you think about raising it youll just flip it up weakly, if you get good flex on your stick itll rise up nicely all by itself.

Your shot is unlikely to improve in game, you really need lots of practice at stick and puck sessions. And yes, for your size and height I'd go with an intermediate stick, a 67 flex would be just right, you'll have a tonne of trouble trying to flex your current stick which is probably about a 120+ after cutting it down so much.

+1 Most excellent advice.

HowToHockey 10-03-2010 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trtaylor (Post 28090422)
+1 Most excellent advice.

Just remember that when shooting with a puck you can actually use it to help you get more flex. It depends on the shot, but sometimes the weight of the puck will help keep the blade back while you push with your bottom hand and flex the stick.

Bulls9220 10-03-2010 09:47 PM

just a quick question. does stick flex really matter? cause i have 77 and i can probably wrist shot it 70 to 80mph

BadHammy* 10-03-2010 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rangersrule1 (Post 28091921)
just a quick question. does stick flex really matter? cause i have 77 and i can probably wrist shot it 70 to 80mph

Is that you, Ovechkin? Yeah, flex is important but the most important thing is technique, specifically weight transfer.

budster 10-04-2010 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donGjohnson (Post 28092313)
Is that you, Ovechkin? Yeah, flex is important but the most important thing is technique, specifically weight transfer.

Haha I was thinking the same thing, but then I realized Ovechkin would have given his measurement in km/h. An 80 mph wrister is something to behold. Rangersrule, you ought to upload a vid of yourself taking shots. I bet we could all learn something.

BadHammy* 10-04-2010 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beavboyz (Post 28091216)
Just remember that when shooting with a puck you can actually use it to help you get more flex. It depends on the shot, but sometimes the weight of the puck will help keep the blade back while you push with your bottom hand and flex the stick.

This is really good advice on the snap shot!

Garfinkel1 10-11-2010 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ponder (Post 28085500)

Interesting. I'll be trying this after I get my new stick. Makes sense though. Thanks for the advice.
Your shot is unlikely to improve in game, you really need lots of practice at stick and puck sessions. And yes, for your size and height I'd go with an intermediate stick, a 67 flex would be just right, you'll have a tonne of trouble trying to flex your current stick which is probably about a 120+ after cutting it down so much.[/QUOTE]

Quote:

Originally Posted by Islander102 (Post 28086232)
1) Dont use a 100 flex. You dont have to use a 65 or anything like that, but stick to 87 or below.

2) Your arms and wrists can be perfect but if you dont have your legs in the shot, nothing is going to happen. work on leaning with your legs into your shot while you take it. No matter what type of shot youre taking, even a quick snapper, you have to lean into it with your legs or its just going to wobble off. Watch the videos posted, they tell you exactly what you have to do, which is most important. When you know what you have to do, it becomes very easy to learn with a few practices. Getting the idea is the hardest part, and these videos are great.

Thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Headcoach (Post 28088284)
Before we go taking about flex...check this out. It just might help.

Head coach

That helped a lot. Interesting video. Show's me how crucial it is to get a stick with proper flex.

xi du 10-11-2010 02:33 PM

Question about shooting hand positioning

1 Attachment(s)
I've been playing for a while but all my shots suck (slap, wrist, snap). I want to know how my shooting hand should be positioned when shooting what part of the hand should you be using to flex your stick. (enlarge the photo to see A,B or C) Also how stiff should your wrist be when taking a slapshot.

pass the bisk 10-11-2010 05:25 PM

first advice: get a stick with appropriate flex....unless you have ungodly strength and can flex that 102 lol

xi du 10-11-2010 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pass the bisk (Post 28247888)
first advice: get a stick with appropriate flex....unless you have ungodly strength and can flex that 102 lol

My stick is a 77 flex. My issue is with lifting the puck on slapshots. That's why I'm asking about hand and wrist positioning.