HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Toronto Maple Leafs (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Post Game Talk: PRESEASON #9 | RED WINGS vs. LEAFS | Leafs 4 - Wings 2 (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=825333)

Muskoka5Ghosts* 10-02-2010 10:00 PM

PRESEASON #9 | RED WINGS vs. LEAFS | Leafs 4 - Wings 2
 
we win!

what did you think?

ComrieFanatic 10-02-2010 10:04 PM

Well, the pre-season is over and I still have some concerns with our defensive-zone coverage. Komisarek, Phaneuf and Gunarsson have all looked poor throughout the last two weeks. Beachemin has been average, Kaberle has shown some flashes of brilliance, and Schenn has looked great. I'm sure some of the poor play can be attributed to veterans coasting during the pre-season, but man does Komi looked slow and unreliable, and Phaneuf is still making some major mental mistakes.

Our best game was against Ottawa on Wednesday. Everyone played pretty well and it was a good match against both team's top players. I see us having some really good games like that one, and then some games where everything goes wrong again.

Overall, our offense is looking better, our special teams look improved, but our defense and transition game still has some major issues. With our group of defenders, we shouldn't still be having these problems. Either Wilson can't fix them or the players aren't listening to what he's saying.

TMLeafer 10-02-2010 10:10 PM

Agreed, D-zone needs some major work in terms of systems, coverage, and preventing passes through two d-men. Beauchemin and Phaneuf got caught at least twice on those today. That is unacceptable considering it was an AHL opponent.

First line, Giggy, and Schenn looked very good. PP was full of good movement, and Kaberle had a solid game.

Grabo's line looked pretty effective too.

But it had to be this way if you're playing a squad like they did today.

Get coaching, Ron!

TheSilencer 10-02-2010 10:12 PM

First and foremost, i'm impressed with Schenn. He looks poised and improved his puck control significantly. I know it's preseason, but he looks much more confident with the puck.

I liked the little spin move he tried to do in the 1st period after pinching in. He's showing offensive instincts all of sudden. How cute. Our little boy is growing up!:laugh:

kujo31 10-02-2010 10:12 PM

yea i agree i see lots of issues with clearing the puck out of our own zone, even against AHL like teams, like tonight, i know some vets donít play 100% but still i donít know about our transition game, just not looking good.

Our offence looks improved epically on the power play, we seen faster and just more energy, but if the defence doesnít get smarter then i can see us easily out of the playoffs, so i dont know

Muskoka5Ghosts* 10-02-2010 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ComrieFanatic (Post 28073707)
Well, the pre-season is over and I still have some concerns with our defensive-zone coverage. Komisarek, Phaneuf and Gunarsson have all looked poor throughout the last two weeks. Beachemin has been average, Kaberle has shown some flashes of brilliance, and Schenn has looked great. I'm sure some of the poor play can be attributed to veterans coasting during the pre-season, but man does Komi looked slow and unreliable, and Phaneuf is still making some major mental mistakes.

Our best game was against Ottawa on Wednesday. Everyone played pretty well and it was a good match against both team's top players. I see us having some really good games like that one, and then some games where everything goes wrong again.

Overall, our offense is looking better, our special teams look improved, but our defense and transition game still has some major issues. With our group of defenders, we shouldn't still be having these problems. Either Wilson can't fix them or the players aren't listening to what he's saying.

yeah it's strange that our defense is so out of sorts sometimes. back when Quinn was coaching we seemed to have a steadier blue line in a so-called open style of play. i cannot figure out why Wilson's D-men look so different.

Collegedude84* 10-02-2010 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kujo31 (Post 28073852)
yea i agree i see lots of issues with clearing the puck out of our own zone, even against AHL like teams, like tonight, i know some vets donít play 100% but still i donít know about our transition game, just not looking good.

Our offence looks improved epically on the power play, we seen faster and just more energy, but if the defence doesnít get smarter then i can see us easily out of the playoffs, so i dont know

To have a good transiton game, you need defence who are actually able to make the pass up to the forwards without turning it over. The only 3 players we have on the blueline that excel in that area are Kaberle, Gunnarsson and maybe Schenn. Komiserak is a nightmare waiting to happen when he handles the puck, Beauchimen lacks the stickhandling and common sense to make a good pass out of the zone. Phaneuf is average in this area.

hockeygeek 10-02-2010 10:24 PM

Whatever...it was a pointless game from a fans perspective but watching Schenn go loco was entertaining...never seen him get hit like that before...guess he doesnt like it much. Cant wait till thursday. Looks like Cammy might be sitting this one out...talk about going loco

MoreMogilny 10-02-2010 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ComrieFanatic (Post 28073707)
Well, the pre-season is over and I still have some concerns with our defensive-zone coverage. Komisarek, Phaneuf and Gunarsson have all looked poor throughout the last two weeks. Beachemin has been average, Kaberle has shown some flashes of brilliance, and Schenn has looked great. I'm sure some of the poor play can be attributed to veterans coasting during the pre-season, but man does Komi looked slow and unreliable, and Phaneuf is still making some major mental mistakes.

Our best game was against Ottawa on Wednesday. Everyone played pretty well and it was a good match against both team's top players. I see us having some really good games like that one, and then some games where everything goes wrong again.

Overall, our offense is looking better, our special teams look improved, but our defense and transition game still has some major issues. With our group of defenders, we shouldn't still be having these problems. Either Wilson can't fix them or the players aren't listening to what he's saying.

Agree with everything here.

I have really liked Schenn throughout the entire pre-season, and tonight's game was especially great. I am still seeing a ton of defensive gaffs from the backend, however. 35 shots against? Do i have that number right? There is no way, facing the team that we did, that 35 shots should have been given up. Tonight felt a little sloppy, defensive zone coverage was awfully loose and lackadaisical, which is a concern going forward into the regular season.

I am not sure what kind of defensive system Wilson has been employing, but it isn't working, not with the personnel we have on D. I know we are just in pre-season mode, and that hopefully everything is tightened up more once we reach this thursday, but i am kind of concerned with defensive zone play.

Now for the offense, i really don't have anything but good things to say here at this point. It looks like we could have a pretty productive top line this year. Kessel has looked fantastic, getting into those dirty areas to score goals, and not shying away. He showed a few glimpses of his passing ability last season, but it seems to me he is looking to make plays, and use his line mates a lot more, which shows great progression in his game. Versteeg, i am really starting to like. Solid in his own zone, and dangerous everywhere, he brings a great set of hands, and really nice chemistry to the top line. Bozak has had a few shaky games, but seems very opportunistic, and has displayed great passing ability.

I like the second line for the most part. Kulemin is great, and my favourite Leaf forward, and can be dominant physically, as well as very dangerous offensively. I am really looking forward to a breakout this year from him. He and Grabovski seem to have some chemistry going, as we saw last season, and i am probably one of the few that actually likes Grabovski as our 2nd line center. I think he can be a pretty dynamic player at times, and is unpredictable to other teams, though he does make his fair share of mistakes. Macarthur is the only question mark for me. He hasn't really impressed me very much, and while he has put up points, i would prefer him on the third line as someone who can pot in a few goals here and there, and hopefully play a solid defensive game.

I was really hoping Caputi would make the team. I loved the physical presence he brought, as well as some offensive flair. He was one who surprised, and impressed me a ton earlier on. I wouldn't mind having him on the second line in Macarthur's place, but i'm not sure if he is ready yet, he is still young after all. I guess i wouldn't mind him staying in the minors for a while and further developing his game, as it couldn't hurt, but i have a feeling he will be one of the first call ups.

Sorry for the novel, basically i summed up my feelings on the pre-season as a whole there.

trickster 10-02-2010 10:25 PM

how do you give a guy an instigator AND an unsportsmanlike conduct

is it possible to be an instigator without an unsportsmanlike conduct?

I thought the 19 minutes vs. Schenn was odd...

Abdelkader looks like a whiny puke - I was happy to see Schenn beat him

kujo31 10-02-2010 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Collegedude84 (Post 28073981)
To have a good transiton game, you need defence who are actually able to make the pass up to the forwards without turning it over. The only 3 players we have on the blueline that excel in that area are Kaberle, Gunnarsson and maybe Schenn. Komiserak is a nightmare waiting to happen when he handles the puck, Beauchimen lacks the stickhandling and common sense to make a good pass out of the zone. Phaneuf is average in this area.

I agree and thats exactly why i was saying before that tradeing kabs would have made this team worse off for this season (i mean in the long run with a prospect and a draft pick it could have been a good trade)

I dont agree with you to much on Beauchimen though, but yea thats deff an area of major concern to me, i dont know if its wilson or just our defence but we need to work on that before i can call this a playoff team

Beleafer4 10-02-2010 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeygeek (Post 28074085)
Whatever...it was a pointless game from a fans perspective but watching Schenn go loco was entertaining...never seen him get hit like that before...guess he doesnt like it much. Cant wait till thursday. Looks like Cammy might be sitting this one out...talk about going loco

Yea, it seems like Nino really knows how to piss a guy off. I wonder what he said.... It could explain the nazem Kadri throat-cut gesture.

LeafsandSharksfan 10-02-2010 10:30 PM

The defense needs to have a conference, get everyone on the same page. Get some pairings set up, have poeple know their partners. It's time to take these pieces and make them into one fluid defensive system.

Collegedude84* 10-02-2010 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeafsandSharksfan (Post 28074195)
The defense needs to have a conference, get everyone on the same page. Get some pairings set up, have poeple know their partners. It's time to take these pieces and make them into one fluid defensive system.

How can they get to know their partners, when Ron "I think I'm a good coach but in reality I stink up the joint" Wilson is constantly playing musical chairs with his blueline?

ScJeff 10-02-2010 10:36 PM

Anyone got a link to the boxscore?

Crispy Crust 10-02-2010 10:36 PM

Putting Phaneuf in front of the net might turn out to be a great idea for the PP.

Epictetus 10-02-2010 10:39 PM

I actually have no idea what to make of this team.

A.J. Ļ 10-02-2010 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScJeff (Post 28074275)
Anyone got a link to the boxscore?

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nhl/boxscore?gid=2010100221

Lisa Needs Braces 10-02-2010 10:52 PM

All I can say is that Kessel is going to be dynamite this year.

ComrieFanatic 10-02-2010 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoreMogilny (Post 28074110)
\

I am not sure what kind of defensive system Wilson has been employing, but it isn't working, not with the personnel we have on D. I know we are just in pre-season mode, and that hopefully everything is tightened up more once we reach this thursday, but i am kind of concerned with defensive zone play

I don't know Wilson's exact system, but he hasn't changed much in the last 2 years and change. He seems convinced that the players are eventually going to figure things out but they aren't.

Not all of it is Wilson's fault though. These guys are good players yet they can't make some of the most basic plays they were taught as a kid. Perfect example tonight: Komisarek passes the puck right onto a Red Wing stick rather than putting it off the boards.

As for Phaneuf, his play looks tentative. He has a ton of talent, yet he seems unwilling to make a more difficult play.

deleteme 10-02-2010 10:58 PM

This team doesn't inspire me AT ALL. I was really pumped before preseason games but the defense BLOWS

Doshy 10-02-2010 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lonecrow (Post 28074667)
This team doesn't inspire me AT ALL. I was really pumped before preseason games but the defense BLOWS

It's really not THAT bad. Last night wasn't the greatest, but we had Rynnas vs. Detroit's full line up.

Weren't both Det. goals tonight PP goals? I think so. D hasn't been too bad, and Jiggy has bailed them out when they slip up. Good teams have good goalies. I think we'll be fine, and we're underrating our defensive skill. On paper, we'll be fine on D.

deleteme 10-02-2010 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doshy (Post 28074718)
It's really not THAT bad. Last night wasn't the greatest, but we had Rynnas vs. Detroit's full line up.

Weren't both Det. goals tonight PP goals? I think so. D hasn't been too bad, and Jiggy has bailed them out when they slip up. Good teams have good goalies. I think we'll be fine, and we're underrating our defensive skill. On paper, we'll be fine on D.

Please be right dude:handclap:

Collegedude84* 10-02-2010 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ComrieFanatic (Post 28074598)
I don't know Wilson's exact system, but he hasn't changed much in the last 2 years and change. He seems convinced that the players are eventually going to figure things out but they aren't.

Not all of it is Wilson's fault though. These guys are good players yet they can't make some of the most basic plays they were taught as a kid. Perfect example tonight: Komisarek passes the puck right onto a Red Wing stick rather than putting it off the boards.

Wilson's system is an agressive puck pursuit system. In his system he wants quick tape to tape passes from the defence up to the forwards who go on the attack, he also expects the D to jump up into the attack when theres a scoring chance. However the downfall to that system, is ALOT of scoring chances going the other way (2 on 1's, 3 on 2's etc) which more often then not in the past have lead to goals (due to being outnumbered in our own end, shaky goaltending). Wilson is set in his ways, so don't expect him to change his style. However we shouldnt give up a large amount of goals due to having solid goaltending.

As for Phaneuf, his play looks tentative. He has a ton of talent, yet he seems unwilling to make a more difficult play.

- I think Phaneuf is playing with an undisclosed injury.

Doshy 10-02-2010 11:05 PM

I actually don't think Phaneuf is giving it his all, since it's the preseason. I mean, he hasn't really been physical that much. I think he's had 1 big hit. Maybe he just doesn't wanna get hurt before the season starts.

Hopefully he steps his physical game up. Offensively he's been great though.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:35 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.