HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   National Hockey League Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   What do you think of the officiating in Game 7? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=82675)

Dolemite 06-08-2004 12:01 AM

What do you think of the officiating in Game 7?

I'd like to hear people's opinions of the officiating in game 7.

Siberian 06-08-2004 12:07 AM

well, lets see
Terrible call on Saprykin, no call on Fedotenko just before he scored second goal, bunch of missed calls, absolutely terrible call on Pratt and on and on. Officiating was a joke....

Knucklez 06-08-2004 12:10 AM

The Saprykin call was weak. The Pratt call was a blatant even-up call. Even though Ference's hit on St-Louis warranted a high-sticking penalty, I just don't think you should call that in Game 7 of the Finals when the team is pressing to tie it. I don't know, it was OK. The call on Gelinas was the right call. I don't know about Nilson's penalty.

rye&ginger 06-08-2004 12:16 AM

I felt the best team on the night won. Thats all that matters in the end.

Tuggy 06-08-2004 12:17 AM

Officiating was ok....not great but could have been a lot better. But officiating in every league is inconsistent, especially the NHL. So no surprise. IMO they needed to not call the "regular season" type of penalties in Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals.

Rowsdower 06-08-2004 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rye&ginger
I felt the best team on the night won. Thats all that matters in the end.

Agreed.

The Frugal Gourmet 06-08-2004 12:19 AM

I felt too many "even up" calls were given out. That's always B.S. But, in the end it was all right.

stungun 06-08-2004 12:28 AM

officiating was not a factor tonight. which is good because this league needs to look hard at what kind of game it wants the refs to call. tonight i really feel the players played their game and the refs did their job the way any fan would want to see.

Natural Habs Fan 06-08-2004 12:35 AM

I just didn't like the last call against Calgary, I don't think it should have been called. It ruined the ending of the game.

Siberian 06-08-2004 12:36 AM

Was not a factor? The first goal was scored on a weak penalty, how was it no factor? People are so biased they will go and lie for that.

SopelFan* 06-08-2004 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Siberian
People are so biased they will go and lie for that.

Indeed you are.

OMA 06-08-2004 12:46 AM

The Saprykin call was bad in my mind.

The Pratt call was the worst penalty I have EVER seen in my life. What was that? I'm a die-hard Flames fan, and I still don't get that call. Brutal.

The Ference play is a tough one. I think in a regular situation that's likely a penalty, but I'm not a fan of calling that in the last 2 minutes of Game 7 of the SCF.

Essentially, that decided the series... Not a good way to end

*Note, I'm not blaming Calgary's loss on the ref's. Calgary only carried the play for 8 minutes today, TB beat them clean on this night. Just some questionable calls (mostly the last one)

incawg 06-08-2004 12:52 AM

a few bad calls each way, with that penalty on pratt that led to the flames goal being the worst. There really should be more middle ground in the poll options. The reffing wasn't perfect but nor was it terrible. as has been mentioned, the better team ended up winning so it's moot anyway.

chris_dub 06-08-2004 12:54 AM

It was good. They probably let a few obvious ones go, but it was good to see them let the players decide the series.

Poignant Discussion 06-08-2004 12:55 AM

Quote:

well, lets see
Terrible call on Saprykin, no call on Fedotenko just before he scored second goal, bunch of missed calls, absolutely terrible call on Pratt and on and on. Officiating was a joke....

HUH? The Flames should have been down in penalties 6-1 after the first. I never seen such holding and flagrant pulling down of players during scoring chances in my life. Tampa showed they are the much better team and Calgary just resorted to hacking grabbing hooking and tripping

Captain27 06-08-2004 12:57 AM

for people saying the Refs shoulda let the Ference-St. Louis hit slide that late in the game also have to realize that Ference's stick did catch St. Louis in the face, and cut him very badly.

In any other situation that would have been a 4 minute penalty, and although I agree that should let minor penalties and skirmishes slide in the playoffs, let alone in the final minutes of the SCF Game 7, a stick to the face that draws blood SHOULD ALWAYS be called, no matter what!

I'm not a Tampa or Calgary fan, I'm just saying that if you let a brutal stick to the face slide, then what will prevent kneeing, blatant tackles, or spearing that late in an important game?

monster_bertuzzi 06-08-2004 12:59 AM

It was bad. Giving Ference a penalty with 1:20 left was a joke, and typical Fraser if you ask me.

Joe T Choker 06-08-2004 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi
It was bad. Giving Ference a penalty with 1:20 left was a joke, and typical Fraser if you ask me.

so the fact that martin recieved a cut to the forehead (blood) doesn't factor into the equation at all?

I thought the reffing was great tonight sans the Pratt interference call...Saprykin steamrolled Pratt...oh well...the better team won, tonight...as a matter of fact, the best team won most nights all series long

Rschmitz 06-08-2004 01:23 AM

St.Louis was down and out, a violent and flagrant foul. You should call a call, no matter the circumstance, but especially for what type of penalty that was. I wish the game could have ended without a penalty like that, but you can blame Ferrance...not the officiating.

monster_bertuzzi 06-08-2004 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seven_Nation_Army
so the fact that martin recieved a cut to the forehead (blood) doesn't factor into the equation at all?

I thought the reffing was great tonight sans the Pratt interference call...Saprykin steamrolled Pratt...oh well...the better team won, tonight...as a matter of fact, the best team won most nights all series long

No doubt the better team won, but as referee how the hell do you make that call on Ference? I didn't even see any evidence of a stick gettin' St.Louis. I'm sure he was hit with a stick, but theres no way Fraser could have seen it from where he was standing.

rye&ginger 06-08-2004 01:26 AM

Quote:

Was not a factor? The first goal was scored on a weak penalty, how was it no factor? People are so biased they will go and lie for that.

yes the first Calgary goal was scored on weak penalty call leading to a PP

Teemu 06-08-2004 01:30 AM

Anyone else tired of hearing "The referees should have only called penalties against Tampa"? :p:

Needless to say, the Pratt Penalty was a major, major mess-up. You simply cannot blow calls that badly in game seven of the Stanley Cup Finals. There were a few penalties that could only be classified as 'even-up' penalties, but overall, it was ok tonight

BCCHL inactive 06-08-2004 01:42 AM

I don't like the options on this poll. It's telling me I have to think it was great, horrible, or not have an opinion at all.

I don't think it was perfect, yet I don't think it was horrible.

As one person has already mentioned, the better team won. That's all that matters in the end.

And for the record, Ference's penalty was not High Sticking, it was Charging. He travelled from a decent distance, and he had his hands right in St.Louis' face. Small player or not, the onus is on the player delivering the check to not hit his opponent high.

two out of three* 06-08-2004 02:02 AM

I was steaming about the officiating earlier. But now that I think about it I was really only mad because the last minute of the game was ruined AGAIN, as was the last minutes ruined on Nieminen's hit from behind. It kinda bugs me. Because if this is the last NHL game ever, Id like it to not go out on bad officiating. The call at the end wasn't weak. But I would NOT have called it. That kinda stuff goes on all game. Theres always hits along the boards that are questionable. Its a part of the game. And I know the stick went into St. Louis face, but even then I wouldn't have called it, because its the last minute of the FINALS. Regular season game.. I would have called it in a heartbeat. Great series though.

ArtVandelei 06-08-2004 02:14 AM

Just as expected. Mcreary was once again showing why he's the top ref in the league, and was trying to let the teams play.

Then there was Fraser, in a typical Fraser fashion trying to assert himself into the contest, with some horrible calls, like on Pratt, and the friggin charge with a minute to go.

...although Ference deserved a high sticking penalty, it was accidental, and it went unnoticed. The call was charging. Charging. With 1 minute to go stanley cup finals game 7 team down by 1- a charging call. Unthinkable. While a case can be made that in the end justice was served, it was nonetheless an awfull reffing descision.